OT: Mac Book Air 11"

Ratae Corieltauvorum

• Members

^^

I'll admit that the big touchscreen keyboard is awkward, I'd personally rather have something one thumb can work. As for the speed, the iPads I used weren't "fast" persay, but usable. Any of the net books out trying to run Windows 7 with hardware that was standard 8 years ago... painful. Another reason I think the smaller laptops are way more worth it than either a netbook or an iPad.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

the airs are awesome little machines that perform much better than one would assume reading the specs. i had the same initial reaction ... then i actually used one. what is it you're looking to do with it, sean?

and people that cry about the price of apple hardware always make me lol.

• Members

I'm an IT supporter and developer and I work all day with Windows and Linux for my bread and butter, when I use a Mac, I don't feel as though I'm at work, simple as that.

drop a Linux Mint 10 install on your netbook and never look back :)

edit: and I was remarkably underwhelmed by the air I tried at a local shop. Granted, I go home to a water-cooled quad-core setup, but my work machine's nothing special (Dell XPS 1640, but the RGBLED is pretty grand). I also was very disappointed in the screen. If it were me, I'd consider a Macbook Pro 13" for the same price, if the hardware/ software combo (not the internals, but if you're in IT, you know this) is what you're after.

Keep in mind, however, the nice Apple screens don't kick in until further up the line (MBP 15" @$1900).

• Members

My 2 year old XPS M1330 still has better specs than the Air.

I am not going to get into this old foray but it seems Mac lovers care not about specs, only looks else they wouldn't buy these products. And for the OP who works in IT, as do I (18 years now) he should know better. I am sure he's well aware of the fact that Apple is still selling overpriced machines with three year old Core Duo procs in them. Show me a model you can order with a blu-ray player, 4GB RAM, i7, discreet graphics for under a grand and I'll jump. Oh, you can buy plenty of these in that price but not from Apple.

Oh, and there's no amount of fairy dust you can sprinkle on them to justify why they charge so much for upgrades on top of the base price. {censored}ing absurd.

You're totally right. Apple products are ridiculously over-priced and they don't work in the real world. The iPhone 4, or the iPad for example. The iPhone 4 costs

• Members

A sleekly presented, yet mediocre mp3 player is what it was.

Plus I love how selective Apple fans are. If Britney Spears sells millions of records, it just shows how dumb the masses are. If Apple sells a million products, it somehow demonstrates its inherent superiority... That being said, I'm not even an Apple hater, as I very much enjoy my macbook and itouch... I just don't get this overly zealous brand loyalty.

• Members

A sleekly presented, yet mediocre mp3 player is what it was.

Plus I love how selective Apple fans are. If Britney Spears sells millions of records, it just shows how dumb the masses are. If Apple sells a million products, it somehow demonstrates its inherent superiority...

So true... ipads are such a joke too - what exactly can you use them as? A giant ebook reader?? whoop de {censored}en doo.

• Members

comparing consumer electronic devices to popular music is disingenuous as best and outright {censored}ing stupid at worst. it's not even remotely the same type of market.

So true...
- what exactly can you use them as? A giant ebook reader?? whoop de {censored}en doo.

it's a media consumption platform. it's a gaming platform. it's a communications platform. it's a production platform. it's a promotional platform. it's whatever app developers (among which i am one) want to make it.

it's ok if you don't get it.

• Members

comparing consumer electronic devices to popular music is disingenuous as best and outright {censored}ing stupid at worst. it's not even remotely the same type of market.

Yeah cause ipods and music arent related in the slightest...

Also the popular music analogy just goes to show that financial success doesnt necessarily equate to quality, cause if it did, behold the official greatest musicians of 2010! http://thewondrous.com/top-10-highest-paid-musicians-of-2010/

Apple products are less of a consumer electronic device and more of a fashion accessory, hence trends/factors such as marketing, fashion and popularity play far more of a role in their success than actual technical merits... kinda like popular music! :idea:

I mean, how many people bought an ipod because it was "the best thing out there" as opposed to being "what everyone else has"?

As for the ipad, what exactly can it do that a small laptop cant besides instill a false sense of individualism?

• Members

As for the ipad, what exactly can it do that a small laptop cant besides instill a false sense of individualism?

here's this whole status thing again. i don't know of any ipad owners spouting status (and any that do are most likely the exception rather than the rule), only the people that want to downplay the role the device is now playing in the markets it covers. i use my ipad when i'm playing scrabble while taking a dump or reading the NYT on my couch or watching netflix movies while falling asleep or to read the internet while i'm getting tattooed. i don't want to bring my macbook with me for any of that. i do my work on my macbook. i {censored} around on the ipad.

any of your silly little theories have no basis in reality or real world business.

• Moderators

Hmmm, HCEG shows as usual that it's well capable of kicking in with idiotic prejudices.

I have a machine room with over 150 servers, some Dell, some HP, hell some I don't even know about, I don't need huge cock machines, I have plenty, I don't want to know about your Sony Ericsson phone, as I'd sooner suck Steve Jobs cock that Sony cock, I don't like the iPad, it's not suitable for my needs as it's too big, and within a few months I'll have that covered with a Samsung Galaxy tab for on the move, my Samsung netbook is pretty good, but the aspect ratio and resolution on the 11" Air is just right for what i want at home and to do remote desktop on the odd occasion to anyone of a number of powerful machines.

What I was really looking for was the opinion of any owners of the said model, and people with Mac knowledge in general as I already have access to a Mac Book 13, and a 17" Pro, but I simply don't want desktop sized "portable machines.

My iPhone, which as an aside is about the best small device/phone I've ever used and I've been through a huge range in the past 7 years from the beginning of smart phones, Motorolas, Sony Ericsson, HTC ( about the best hardware outside of Apple) and the vast array of Symbian and those {censored}ing stupid Blackberries, and the iPhone is a universe ahead of all of them, plain and simple, and dropping mine isn't a problem, I'm sober all the time these days:), so thanks to all for your useful contributions, I'll certainly look at Webwarmillars suggestion of a Hackbook, and Justin, I always love ya, and Trent, I need ta PM ya.

The rest of the haters, go and spend some time with trees:thu:

• Members

I really like mine. The size is so perfect. I can do some light gaming on it, too. I wouldn't say it's a netbook, I'd say it's a really small laptop that's the size of a netbook. For one, it's got a Core 2 rather than the usual Atom, and it's got a discrete GPU that, for a laptop, isn't even that bad.

Also, it runs Guitar Rig 4 and Garage Band perfectly.

People need to cut it with the OMG SPECS argument, they don't get it. If I go to one of my computers as an everyday system, it's gonna be my OC'd 4.5ghz i7 rig. It's not like the MBA is an everyday computer. But, for what it is and for what it's supposed to do, it's perfect.

• Members

There's always the option of hackintosh. A used Dell Mini 10V for $150 and a retail version of Snow Leopard for $30 and you've got a nice little 'mac' netbook.

I almost suggested this, but there are a few issues:

1. Snow Leopard 10.6.3 (the $30 disk) doesn't work on Atom processors

2. They are tricky to upgrade and 1GB RAM is useless with OSX

3. Getting the trackpad to work is tricky. Once I got mine set up and running smoothly in OS 10.5.8, I used it for almost a year before I finally sold it last week because of #4

4. It's slow

I had 2GB of RAM in mine (upgraded from stock 1GB) and it was still slow. Plus, the rinky dinky screen prevented the use of good apps (Garageband was useless, Finale, Photoshop, etc.). Screen resolution was just too small for those apps. I just sold my Mini10v last week and bought a Dell 15r with Intel Core i5, 4GB of RAM and a 640MB hard drive for $430.

• Members

Apple products are less of a consumer electronic device and more of a fashion accessory, hence trends/factors such as marketing, fashion and popularity play far more of a role in their success than actual technical merits... kinda like popular music!
:idea:

I mean, how many people bought an ipod because it was "the best thing out there" as opposed to being "what everyone else has"?

I'm one of the few people that actually wants to replace his iPod with a non-iPod. iTunes is far too unstable for my liking, not to mention pointlessly complicated. And before anyone says "Well, you're just retarded then." I will say this. SOFTWARE IS MEANT TO BE USER-FRIENDLY. My iPod, a 2nd generation Nano, is virtually indestructible when it's all said and done. But in terms of device-to-PC interface, it's {censored}ing useless.

• Moderators

I'm one of the few people that actually wants to replace his iPod with a non-iPod. iTunes is far too unstable for my liking, not to mention pointlessly complicated. And before anyone says "Well, you're just retarded then." I will say this. SOFTWARE IS MEANT TO BE USER-FRIENDLY..

This I can agree with iTunes sucks very sweaty balls, but I just plug mine into a Linux box and manage the music myself

• Members

I think it's pretty obvious Mr./Ms. Skyforger is a clueless pirate. No need to pick on the clueless, eh?
;)

Clueless, to a degree. Pirate... Most definitely ;)

I'm actually dual booting Mac OSX on this here Dell. All spider-webs and magic. And really? Make a giant iPod touch FOR MOBILE USE? That's smart. I'll take the five year old Advent 7087 over that thing, which still works. Sales figures don't mean a thing. Apple are a company driven to give the hipsters something to be hipster about.

Archived