OT: Mac Book Air 11"

Ratae Corieltauvorum

• Members

I had three open smart ass. Or was that sarcasm?

I was just making the point that it ran those three perfectly, something which my windows laptop with the same amount of RAM -albeit a slower processor- doesn't do.

I admit, I misread: Word and Excel became one application in my mind. My point still stands though- this is not a benchmark of performance nor something only a mac can do. As to why your Windows pc fails at this simple task I do not know. The slower processor might explain lackluster performance if you were in fact browsing flash-heavy web content with many tabs open.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Macbook air machines are pretty slick little computers, but if you don't need the extreme portability, go for the macbook pro. Quite a bit more oomph for not much more coin. The air is insanely thin and light, but you pay for that in speed and cost relative to the rest of the portables. If you don't need to be portable, grab an imac, and it will outperform both the pro and the air. FWIW- It might be worth waiting a little while, as apple has been hinting that all their portables are going to go the way of the air in the future...with a move towards light and thin machines. You may get macbook pro specs in something similar to an air form soon. As for the lack of an optical drive, I have 19 mac computers (from imacs to several 12 core xeon pro workstations) in my lab, and I have not used an optical DVD/CD drive on any of those machines in years. Not much of a loss to me not having a disc drive. OF course, if you are planning on importing you music into itunes or something, or playing games, then it is probably worth getting the external drive.

Oh, and for our PC brethren, the mac air is nothing like an ipad with a keyboard. It runs the same OSX that the rest of the mac computer line up does...the ipad runs the iOS4 software package common to the ipad, iphone, ipod touch and so on. It is roughly the same as the difference between windows7 and windows mobile.

Archived