OT: Mac Book Air 11"

Ratae Corieltauvorum

• Moderators

I'm right on the verge of buying one, not a fan of big laptops, I have access to too many Windows based laptops as I support a whole batch of the {censored}ers and not an iPad fan, 13" is a tad too big, I want something eminently portable and although I have a Samsung netbook, it's not quite there for me.

Any owners have any comments?

Thanks

Sean

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I'm right on the verge of buying one, not a fan of big laptops, I have access to too many Windows based laptops as I support a whole batch of the {censored}ers and not an iPad fan, 13" is a tad too big, I want something eminently portable and although I have a Samsung netbook, it's not quite there for me.

Any owners have any comments?

Thanks

Sean

Just got one for my wife to replace her 13" MacBook. I think it rules. She needs something light to throw in her purse, but an IPad won't meet her needs. The thing is less than half the size and weight of the MacBook. We are not big fans of big notebooks. I am trying to go smartphone+ bluetooth keyboard with a desktop in the office.

I bought the stacked one with 4GB RAM and 128gig memory and the fastest processor they offer. Battery is getting almost 6 hours. Full install of MS Office runs fine.

Only downside is that it is probably thief-bait unless someone mistakes it for of those weak "web" sub-notebooks. Also, need to pick up the Speck plastic shell for it to decrease risk of demo'ing it.

• Members

As long as it's not your only computer, I'd say go ahead. I'm thinking about one myself as my next work machine, especially as we don't do much 3D stuff anymore. I've got other machines to do Video and 3D anyway, and our systems are going web-based. An Air would be perfect, although I think I'd like the screen on the 13" a bit more.

• Members

No doubt. I would just buy this for less than half the price if I wanted something of similar size and specs:

Just like with guitars you get what you pay for. You can think of Apple as one of your premium builders and Acer as your Agile/GFS. Sure the Acer works but with Apple you are getting a much higher level of materials and craftsmanship. For some it may not be worth the extra money and for others it is. I was a PC man for many years (built my first 486 back in 1993, and the family had a 386 prior to that) but now that I've made the switch to Apple and don't really have time for PC games any more I doubt I'll be turning back.

• Moderators

Kinda hard to give an answer as you don't indicate what your needs are. What doesn't the Samsung netbook do for you that you are hoping the macbook air will?

I'm an IT supporter and developer and I work all day with Windows and Linux for my bread and butter, when I use a Mac, I don't feel as though I'm at work, simple as that.

• Members

I liked the Air, but in the end opted for the Pro, as it isn't that much bigger and has more of everything across the board including connections.

Agreed. For the same money, you could get a Macbook...for a couple hundred more, you can get a 13" Pro...which is exactly what I intend to buy for my wife after my tax return comes in.

• Members

I'm an IT supporter and developer and I work all day with Windows and Linux for my bread and butter, when I use a Mac, I don't feel as though I'm at work, simple as that.

I feel the same way. I'm a Windows Sys Admin and in a way its refreshing to go home to my Macs.

Edit: And I want an 11" macbook air so bad I can taste it.

• Members

I absolutely love my 13 inch MB Pro.

While I think the Airs are amazing... I personally wouldn't go any smaller than 13. I think that's the perfect balance of usable screen real estate and portability. If you can get over that and the lack of optical drive, I bet you would like the Air.

As for the Ipad, it's a pretty awesome peice of tech. If it ran a mobilized version of OSX I would consider it a lot more. Right now it seems like more geared toward media consumption, while a laptop, even a small one, can create media just as well as it can consume it.

• Members

As for the Ipad, it's a pretty awesome peice of tech. If it ran a mobilized version of OSX I would consider it a lot more. Right now it seems like more geared toward media consumption, while a laptop, even a small one, can create media just as well as it can consume it.

The iPad was/is the worst tech purchase I've ever made. Hell, even my wife reaches for her netbook over the iPad when wanting to browse the net in front of the TV. It is painfully slow (regardless of browser used) and forget even the thought of participating in forums. Having to input anything longer than a couple of words in painful. Some of the Apps that have been designed for it ARE great, but that's about it.

What's odd is that I loved all my iPhones (3gs and now 4). Of course, I can live with the inherent deficiencies of an iOS device when it comes to the iphone as it's intended purpose for me is VASTLY different....simply checking email or basic browsing. In short I PURELY use it for data consumption. The problem with the iPad is that it's too big to be truly portable so it's an at home device.....as such I would rather grab an actual computer that can do vastly more.

Archived