Ratae Corieltauvorum

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderators

I almost suggested this, but there are a few issues:

1. Snow Leopard 10.6.3 (the $30 disk) doesn't work on Atom processors

2. They are tricky to upgrade and 1GB RAM is useless with OSX

3. Getting the trackpad to work is tricky. Once I got mine set up and running smoothly in OS 10.5.8, I used it for almost a year before I finally sold it last week because of #4

4. It's slow

I had 2GB of RAM in mine (upgraded from stock 1GB) and it was still slow. Plus, the rinky dinky screen prevented the use of good apps (Garageband was useless, Finale, Photoshop, etc.). Screen resolution was just too small for those apps. I just sold my Mini10v last week and bought a Dell 15r with Intel Core i5, 4GB of RAM and a 640MB hard drive for $430.

Aaaaaah OK, you've saved me some time, yes, the Atom has been the principal reason why I'm just not there yet with netbooks, and the i3 based netbooks are getting too close to the price of something good

• Members
Clueless, to a degree. Pirate... Most definitely
;)

I'm actually dual booting Mac OSX on this here Dell. All spider-webs and magic. And really? Make a giant iPod touch FOR MOBILE USE? That's smart. I'll take the five year old Advent 7087 over that thing, which still works. Sales figures don't mean a thing. Apple are a company driven to give the hipsters something to be hipster about.

oh STFU. He's not asking for your oh-so-rebellious anti-hipster stance, he's asking for advice on the Mac Book Air. Now go stick your dick into your dell and leave the discussion to the adults, ok? :wave:

• Members

actually, they're likely driven to sell products and make a profit.

you know, like basically any business on the planet.

Hey hey hey... In the working world, the PC has dominion. I just see no reason to own something for that price when I can get something equally good for three times less.

• Members

no, they're not. you're going to tell me the market for consumable media is the same as a physical device? do you work at a jiffy lube or something? do you have any idea how completely ridiculous even suggesting that is?

Did you even read what I posted of do I have to type it again?

Apples marketability is based strongly - if not soley - on their popular appeal amongst the masses...

Pop musics marketability is based on its appeal amongst the masses...

How are these two markets completely unrelated again?

this bull{censored} argument is and always has been bull{censored}. on a daily basis, i work directly with some of the biggest entertainment and advertising/marketing companies in the world. the only people NOT using macs are in accounts payable or maybe working in CAD. and in terms of technical merits - pretty advertising doesn't sustain a product's market.

Well i work in the field of multimedia and specifically 3d animation. The big companies (ie. Dreamworks, Weta, Animal Logic) use HPs. Even Pixar uses mainly linux based computers and Steve Jobs owns them... I cant think of any game developers who use macs to create their products... These are fields when you really need raw computing power and yet Apple products arent commonplace.

nevermind that apple has completely revolutionized not just one, but FOUR markets. FOUR - the desktop computer, the portable music device, the music industry itself and the smartphone industry. and ipad is revolutionizing another. tablets have been out for almost a decade and apple sold more ipads last quarter than any other manufacturer has in years. and you REALLY believe it's because it's an "accessory?" 7 million people last quarter paid $500+ a pop for an accessory?

right. keep saying that to yourself.

Have you thought about how they revolutionised these markets? Ill give you a hint - it closely related to the success of the Nintendo Wii...

Now in the game console market, the Nintendo Wii is by far technically inferior to its competitors the PS3 and Xbox360, yet if you look around youll find a lot of sales charts which look like this:

nintendo_470x223.jpg

Howcome it vastly outsells them? Because instead of targeting niche markets of tech savvy/hardcore/serious gamers, they target everyone - especially the "casual" market which encompasses everyone from toddlers to senior citizens. How have they done this? By changing the identity of the Wii from a "gaming console" to an "entertainment unit". This was how they were able to take a technically inferior (to competitors) piece of hardware and destroy the competition with it - by turning it into a novelty item... think about that...

i don't know. what difference does it make anyway? to suggest ipod is a bad device is stupid. it plays audio files. it ain't rocket science. it ain't "art." it's a consumer device. they made a well designed, user friendly mp3 player that caught on and it blew all the competition away and spawned a {censored}load of silly little ripoffs that never went anywhere. the motive for buying is irrelevant. if it was the marketing that made it - well, rock on - chiat-day did their job. i'll personally email the AE at chiat for apple and send him your regards.

here's this whole status thing again. i don't know of any ipad owners spouting status (and any that do are most likely the exception rather than the rule), only the people that want to downplay the role the device is now playing in the markets it covers. i use my ipad when i'm playing scrabble while taking a dump or reading the NYT on my couch or watching netflix movies while falling asleep or to read the internet while i'm getting tattooed. i don't want to bring my macbook with me for any of that. i do my work on my macbook. i {censored} around on the ipad.

any of your silly little theories have no basis in reality or real world business.

I could mention some counter points to this but i feel that id just be repeating myself/wasting my time.

My point is - Apple dont do anything special or new with their products - they just package and market them in a way that appeals to the masses, and people eat that {censored} up! You really think that anyone would look twice at the ipad if it wasnt made by Apple??

right. keep saying that to yourself.

• Members

No worries moi grockle taunting friend:)

Ultimately, it's down to what you want it for. Apple based software and devices are probably much more stable when interfacing with an Apple computer, and if you've got the spare cash floating around it'd be a decent little entertainment device. I myself am pretty anti-Apple, as you may have guessed. But that's mostly because I graduated college with a diploma in engineering, so I see all the faults. And those faults are magnified tenfold as I'm a bit of a PC nerd as well. It's all fitness for purpose. The Dell suits my needs because it's fast, powerful and above all, being a penniless bum, inexpensive. With the multitudes of fantastic software out there, I was able to get pretty much everything I needed for a recording studio, home cinema and photo editing machine, as well as being able to play some very demanding games. I assume you want a small portable laptop for music, videos and general entertainment, which the Macbook is fully capable of.

• Moderators

I assume you want a small portable laptop for music, videos and general entertainment, which the Macbook is fully capable of.

As I originally pointed out, as a techie, I want a recreational computing related device at home, that every time I switch it on I don't start going into work mode and wondering how I can tweak, upgrade, modify to run particular software or anything else related to my day job as an IT and network and systems admin. Seeeeemples, to quote some very irritating meerkats

• Members

As I originally pointed out, as a techie, I want a recreational computing related device at home, that every time I switch it on I don't start going into work mode and wondering how I can tweak, upgrade, modify to run particular software or anything else related to my day job as an IT and network and systems admin. Seeeeemples, to quote some very irritating meerkats

I get you. After a netbook for web browsing and media entertainment, without the formal nature of Windows or Linux? I suppose you could install an Apple operating system on a cheaper netbook, but honestly, it's probably a moot point and definitely more effort than is required. Especially if you can afford to buy a Mac book off the shelf.

• Members

I can't but I can probably sell a few bits and save up and justify one by the time my birthday in April comes around for some final contributions.

That's fair enough. As I said, it's probably not worth saving the money by installing the OS yourself, as I've noticed it can be a little sluggish on non-Apple computers. Though as to why, I'm not entirely sure. My PC engineering diploma friend assures me that they both can use Intel or AMD processors, so I'm assuming it's a firmware/software/driver issue. But hey, for the extra cash, you'll have yourself a smart piece of kit :thu:

• Members

My point is - Apple dont do anything special or new with their products - they just package and market them in a way that appeals to the masses

again - tell me - who was even really selling mp3 players at all, let alone remotely like ipod in 2001? where were the smartphones even remotely like iphone before it was released? blackberry pearl? treo? who else was building a model to totally change media distribution? who else made a tablet that people actually wanted - and looked/functioned in any way like ipad? they were all just trying to shove windows into a tiny form factor; all of which were horribly unusable.

keep with the dismissiveness. apple is the most valuable US company just behind exxon. whatever they've done; they've done it right.

Archived