What Gear Have You Unloaded - and Most Wish You Hadn't?

RufusFussbuster

• Members

Inspired by the What's the Worst Guitar You've Ever Bought? thread. I was trying to come up with something for that thread, but I haven't owned anything truly crappy. (and/or I have very low standards for gear)

What I did end up doing is waxing nostalgic about gear I had unloaded in the past, but wish I had kept.

My biggest regret is a Peavey Rockmaster pre, which I dumped with a bunch of other gear years ago while "cleaning the slate". I'd really like to play around with that again - I don't think I tapped it's potential when I had it.

That, and a TS-10, which I dumped in the same pile - all of it for something like $3 off a guitar I bought. :facepalm:

What gear have you sent down the river that you'd like to use a take-back on?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Wish I had never sold my very first guitar - Electra Omega X240 LP copy:

Gflat3.JPG

It had some very unique electronics on it and could "quack" with the best single coil equipped guitars out there. The 5-way rotary switch let you chose both HB pickups in series, in parallel, out of phase, etc. The two toggle switches were coil taps. More info here:

http://www.bass.wolfdreams.org/electra_omega_x240.htm

The other regret is selling my Mesa Mark IV head & 2x12 cabs. :cry:

• Members

There are a bunch of nice guitars and amps that I sold form one reason or another, many of them I'd take back in a heartbeat. Since I don't have an unlimited budget, unlimited space or a wife that has limitless patience and understanding, all were moved to make room for something else. Most of them were not rare or unusual pieces and I reasoned that if I want them back I can always buy another one. There's lots of MIM Strats and Teles, Blues Jrs, Peavey Classic 30's, Faded SG's, miscellaneous Squier's, etc. Although some of the ones I've sold were particularly good ones, still, all replaceable.

The ones I really regret selling are those that are not easily or reasonably replaced. There's a '65 Gibson SG Jr in white and a Fender 30 which was a transitional amp between the Silverfaces and the Rivera Reverb II series that was like a Deluxe Reverb with 6L6's and a gain channel and the last of the point to point wired Fender amps.

• Members

My first amp was a little Gorilla GG-20. I sold it to a friend back in high school, because he needed a practice amp to learn on. No, it didn't sound all that great, but I kinda wish I had it for the sentimental value. I remember being so excited playing with the overdrive. When you're just a kid, and you're only learning, anything's exciting, I guess.

• Members

I traded a $2000 Bach Stradivarius silver trumpet for a $300 casio CZ-101 to midi into my sampler in 1986. It makes me sick to think of it. I do still use the CZ-101, though. It has some really rank 80s synth sounds that I love now - hated then. And I can't play trumpet for {censored} anymore. So, I guess it's not a tragedy.

• Members

I sold my Gibson Nighthawk a while back... I really did like it and it was in the most extraordinary condition of any Nighthawk I have ever seen, but I could not get the sound I wanted out of the slanted bridge pickup and there were no replacements (outside of getting something custom wound).

gnh01.jpg

^^ Actual guitar, still pictured on the website I bought it from ^^

Fast forward to now, where everyone is going gaga over the Epi Nighthawks and Seymour Duncan is planning on making replacement bridge pickups :facepalm:

• Members

Wish I had never sold my very first guitar - Electra Omega X240 LP copy:

Gflat3.JPG

It had some very unique electronics on it and could "quack" with the best single coil equipped guitars out there. The 5-way rotary switch let you chose both HB pickups in series, in parallel, out of phase, etc. The two toggle switches were coil taps. More info here:

http://www.bass.wolfdreams.org/electra_omega_x240.htm

The other regret is selling my Mesa Mark IV head & 2x12 cabs.
:cry:

A friend of mine in high school had a white one and it sounded better than my LP.

I miss my 1981 LP custom silverburst and my 1982 G&L SC-2 (the only guitar w/ a whammy bar that never went out of tune).

• Members

I don't know if it was the Fender Pro Reverb I had that I bought for under $200 and sold later for $375, or the SG I had gotten in 1978 for $250 and sold in the mid-eighties for $450. I was told that the SG was a '74, but it had the pup mounting rings rather than the pickups mounted through a pickguard, so I assume that it was older. It was by far the best guitar I've ever owned!

• Members

A lot actually, I have some sort of ADD which forces me to part with stuff on a whim, buy something else and then regret it:

05 Gibson Les Paul Standard

95 Gibson ES 335

Am Std Tele

DeArmond M75

Marshall JCM 900 Half Stack

Fender Deluxe Reverb RI

Boss CS 3 pedal

MIM Std Strat (equipped with Buzz Feiten tuning)

and the list goes on and on.

• Members

understand, this all happened back in the mid 70's.....but...

1956 Les Paul Special

1958 Les Paul Sunburst, nice flame

1959 Explorer

1959 ES 355 TDSV Stereo w/Bigsby

1961 Les Paul/SG Custom Triple Pickup w/Tremolo

1961 SG Special

1963 Firebird

1969 Les Paul Custom

1971, 1972, & 1973 Les Paul Deluxes, two sunburst and one gold top

and in the 80's/90's:

1975 Les Paul Gold Top

1979 Les Paul Pro Deluxe (carved maple top w/P-90's)

1980 Les Paul Standard, Wine Red

:cry::cry::facepalm:

• Members

Where to start....over the years I've owned and sold: Gibby Explorer 2, PRS Standard 24, 3 USA Hamers, MIJ '57 Reissue Strat, Marshall JCM 800/1936, Yamaha 335 type, silverface Deluxe Reverb, Princeton Reverb, Vibro Champ, Peavey Triumph 60 on a Laney 2x12, jumbo Guild acoustic.... oh the horror. Not all at the same time, but still. 11 years ago when I started autocrossing I sold off everything and bought suspension parts. Didn't play much for 8 or 9 years, then started to swing back the other way.

• Members

I've sold so many guitars that I can't even keep track anymore. Most of them I didn't really think about much once they were gone, but there are a few that still hurt.

My AVRI '62 Tele Custom in surf green that I had to sell last year due to financial issues is probably the one I miss the most. :cry:

IMG_2983.jpg

I also really miss this 1965 Jaguar, but I had to sell it to pay for the 1966 Jazzmaster I bought. The neck on this thing was heavenly.

IMG_3025.jpg

My 1970s Guild Starfire was difficult for me to sell. It played great, sounded incredible, and looked amazing, but for some reason it just didn't fit me correctly. It always sat in the wrong place when I played it standing up using a strap. I tried many different straps adjusted in every way possible, but for some reason it didn't work with my body. It was the strangest thing. I've played a bunch of Starfires and absolutely love them, but this one just didn't "work". It's one of the few guitars I've ever had that issue with, but it meant it had to go. I really miss it, though.

IMG_9894.jpg

The other killer was my MIJ Fender Tele/Strat hybrid that I put a Seymour Duncan P-Rails pickup in the bridge and a mini humbucker in the neck. You could get every tone imaginable out of that thing and the neck was perfect. I still can't figure out why I sold it.

IMG_9340.jpg

Archived