Mojo Needed..Fellow HCer is hurting.

Kevman

• Members

It started out as a regular scheduled chemo infusion. 2 days in amd out on the third day..Ended up being stay in all week and deal with all the side effects of chemo and another touch of pneumonia.

I finally got Dustball out of the hospital on Saturday evening. We got some new tunes at the record store and hung out at my place saturday night w/ his little bro.

This should be the last chemo until his bone marrow transplant starts and we are on schedule to start that April 9th. I take him in the 2nd to get marked for radiation.

The movie "Beerfest" sure did make him laugh this weekend. It's stupid but it's super funny. Nice to see the kids laughing.

Continued thanks for all of the mojo/prayer and general well wishes. You folks truly rule.

Kev

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Kevman,

I'm pretty new here and just ran accross this thread. I haven't had time to read the whole thread yet but I will. I can't imagine what your going through with your son. I have two, 17 and 9.

Major Mojo and Prayers to ya'll from Alabama!

Mike

• Members

It started out as a regular scheduled chemo infusion. 2 days in amd out on the third day..Ended up being stay in all week and deal with all the side effects of chemo and another touch of pneumonia.

I finally got Dustball out of the hospital on Saturday evening. We got some new tunes at the record store and hung out at my place saturday night w/ his little bro.

This should be the last chemo until his bone marrow transplant starts and we are on schedule to start that April 9th. I take him in the 2nd to get marked for radiation.

The movie "Beerfest" sure did make him laugh this weekend. It's stupid but it's super funny. Nice to see the kids laughing.

Continued thanks for all of the mojo/prayer and general well wishes. You folks truly rule.

Kev

Laughter is very healing.

My prayers and thoughts are with you and Dustball.

Take care of yourself as well.

• Members

Update.

Last Wednesday I took Dustin to Hackensack U where he will be getting his radiation/bone marrow transplant to be mark for the focused radiation on his brain.

While there they had us go get a chest x-ray so they could have a baseline. Well, we got a call after we had left to go get cheeseburgers that there was pneumonia in his left lung and that we'd have to admit him to receive IV antibiotics.

Once admitted there were more x-rays and a ct scan which showed that this wasn't pneumonia. On Thursday the did a bronchoscopy to get cultures from the offending area. They cooked those cultures all weekend thinking that there is a fungal infection (yeast) or maybe bacterial. So they started IV antibiotics and anti fungal.

He was released Wednesday but his schedule has been pushed back 2 weeks. (sheesh)

He must go for another battery of imaging next Thursday to ensure that he is clean before they eliminate his defenses entirely. Any infection could easily take over with no marrow to generate white blood cells.

In the ct scan they did see a couple of spots on his liver which are common with a fungal infection.

There are a couple of possible scenarios but likely it will go like this:

Dustin goes in on Thursday and the imaging shows that the lung issue is resolved and all other scans show that he is ready for transplant. The dates are re-scheduled for ASAP and he starts his radiation.

It seems like the longer we go here the more little bumps in the road come by. We are cruising right over them but they seem so relentless sometimes.

I wish this were all done with already. I'm ready to get the boy back to full speed ahead.

My mountain bike is begging to go out but I want to ride with my boys.

Soon enough.

God bless you all for your continued concern. 4-05-08 in hizzy-ospital waiting...again

Dustin4-05-08.jpg

Archived