Mojo Needed..Fellow HCer is hurting.

Kevman

• Members

Day +12.
Dustin is doing some better. It is encouraging to ask him if he feels better than the day before and to hear him reply "yes".

His White Blood Cell count is still dragging across the floor at .01 and his hemoglobin is low as well. He got a couple units of blood on Thursday and again yesterday.

The sores in Dustins mouth and throat are still there although we are seeing improvement in the mouth. He was still unable to eat yesterday afternoon. The WBC count should start to increase in the next 2-3 days which will aid in him healing.
The rash (i think its burns from radiation) on his neck and backs of his hands looks to be healing. He has lost right at 20#s over the last 15 days or so. Not too bad considering he can't eat.

We are still in the wait and see phase so that's what we'll do. In the meantime he is listening to music constantly and watching funny movies or reading. Now that his mouth doesn't hurt soo badly he is actually enjoying the flicks i think whereas before he was just watching them as background noise.

gt5liter,
I don't know what to tell you but you keep the positivity flowing for your wife. She needs to see it and be a part of it. God bless you.

Kev

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Day +12.

Dustin is doing some better. It is encouraging to ask him if he feels better than the day before and to hear him reply "yes".

His White Blood Cell count is still dragging across the floor at .01 and his hemoglobin is low as well. He got a couple units of blood on Thursday and again yesterday.

The sores in Dustins mouth and throat are still there although we are seeing improvement in the mouth. He was still unable to eat yesterday afternoon. The WBC count should start to increase in the next 2-3 days which will aid in him healing.

The rash (i think its burns from radiation) on his neck and backs of his hands looks to be healing. He has lost right at 20#s over the last 15 days or so. Not too bad considering he can't eat.

We are still in the wait and see phase so that's what we'll do. In the meantime he is listening to music constantly and watching funny movies or reading. Now that his mouth doesn't hurt soo badly he is actually enjoying the flicks i think whereas before he was just watching them as background noise.

gt5liter,

I don't know what to tell you but you keep the positivity flowing for your wife. She needs to see it and be a part of it. God bless you.

Kev

It's good to hear that he's doing better with the sores, and the burns.

These are good signs.

The strength of your family and friends will see you all through this.

Give him our best and more prayers and Mojo sent.

• Members

I think this is my first post in here; but I check back often for updates. Glad to hear it's going well. It's inspiring to see how strong Dustin is. It's amazing what optimism and postive energy will do. Best of luck to you guys. I send out the best vibe I can....

Keep rockin'

• Members

Sounds like Dustin is over the worst of it. I hope it's all downhill (I mean that in the GOOD way!) from here on out. I've got two kids of my own (25 and 17) and can only imagine what you have been through through over the past year or so. I hope that as his health improves, you will be begin to feel some relief and release from all of the stress and worry you've had. I fervently hope that life will be good for you from here on out!

• Members

Today being Father's Day, I thought of you and your son. As a father of boys, your story really hits home. My brother fought cancer when he was in college. I have a sense of what you are going through. Hang in there.

Wishing you, your family and your son all the best.

• Members

Things could be better here.
I guess they could also be worse.

Dustin had a bone marrow biopsy yesterday to check progress on the new cell that should be engrafting to create his new marrow.
We knew his white cell counts were low (still in the .1 to .3 range) but sometimes it takes several days for the WBC to find there way to the blood stream from the marrow. Well, there just aren't many cells in the marrow either.
For the next 4-5 days we will watch to see if Dustin's system is just taking it's time or if the transplant isn't taking. If it is not they are going to do it again. Rough things to hear. They would have to re-irradicate his immune system for several days and we would be on the schedule of the donor.

The boy is demolished. His spirits weren't high to begin with, he missed graduation yesterday. Now his mind is already on having to go through this again. 3 weeks in isolation so far with the possibility of another 4-6 is daunting for everyone. Not the way I'd want to spend my 18th summer for sure.
Was kinda hoping for a nicer fathers day gift than this. I'm kind of a wreck too. I have someone going in to see Dustin today I should probably seek the same sort of help.

• Members

Kevman, we just continue to pray for Dustball's healing and recovery. In time you will all be blessed for your perseverance and resilience. Catch your breath, talk to someone who can bring some perspective to all this and keep on fighting.

Happy belated Father's day to you, you are indeed one hell of a Dad. :thu:

• Members

Hey Kev,

Get some help........read the love and well wishes in this post again. We aren't giving in here, neither should you. I know it's hard, but you are needed. Stand tough.

Meanwhile, prayers and best wishes. If there is anything we can do, let us know.

Archived