best dual P90 guitar for under 1000

sleewell

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I have to agree with the SG Classic. First, it has a proper gloss nitrocellulose lacquer finish. Second, it has an inlayed pearloid logo on the headstock. Third, the neck is expertly bound:-) But most importantly, P90's work really well with the thin, all mahogany body mated with a fairly chunky mahogany neck.

OK, so I did cave and install a TV Jones Powertron in the bridge position, but it sounded fantastic with the original P90's.

sgclas.jpg

• Members

Get one in each color. Set one up for standard playing and the other for slide and still have plenty of dough leftover. I love mine! I dig the stock pups. Even if you don't, you'll have so much spare cash in your wallet that you could go to town on a pup swap.

img10411724162.jpeg

+1

I got me the blonde one. Absolutely love it, been playing it ALOT recently, gets more play time than the u.s standard strat just now!

These ae great guitars!

• Members

How about a Reverend Club King 290? I like mine a lot.

That's been on my radar for a long time. Really can't go wrong with Reverends. I absolutely love their necks, they have some very cool body shapes, always seem to be built very well, and the stock pups are great.

• Members

I've always wanted one of these - Gibson Les Paul Faded Double Cut. Sweet guitar!

I keep hoping they'll reissue those, or maybe add a faded SC. The faded SG Classic with neck binding is cool as hell, but I'm not really an SG guy. Which is good, since my calculations indicate that a Faded SC with binding would result in uncontrollable GAS, the inevitable result of which would be an immediate impulse purchase. This in turn would lead to my wife kicking me out, which would then necessitate playing blues. I really don't like playing blues, so it's probably best that such a guitar doesn't exist.

• Members

Used Hamer Special. I added a pickguard to mine.

Add my vote for the Hamer Special. I added a pickguard to mine too, but mine's more "Junior" than "Special" style. It's been getting underutilized lately since I've been preferring fatter necks, and I've been on the edge of putting it on the block for a year now, but I can't bring myself to part with it.

5500255485_aaf2968ef5_z.jpg

Previous owner installed a Dimarzio DLX-90 humbucking P90 style at the neck, but I still have the stock Duncan neck pickup ... and a set of Reverend "Rick Vito" hot P90s I'd considered installing a couple years ago but have never gotten around to getting that project done. The guitar still may go up on eBay in the next couple months, but I know I'll regret selling it if I do.

• Members

I actually think all of the above are great suggestions...bonus points for the Godin and Reverend :D

But, if your budget's $1,000, a Gibson would likely be the best choice if you ever have to sell the guitar someday.

Btw...did anyone mention the PRS SE Soapbar models?

• Members

Personally, I would buy a nice humbucker equipped guitar and put in the Duncan P-rails with the triple shots rings.

The p-90's are the best part of those pickups.

Even if you barely used the rail or the humbucker, they'd be there if you need them.

More choices of humbucker equipped guitars.

If I were going for the p-90 only, I'd look at Reverend, used EBMM Axis SS MM90, US Masters/ Regenberg (whatever that model that Warriorpoet just got), and the aforementioned Hamer.

Archived