What do you prefer? Les Pauls or SGs? and why?

elsupermanny14

• Members

You know it's late and I'm burnt out from studying so much Baroque and Rococo art so I'd figured I'd come on here and waste some precious sleeping time. I'm sitting here pondering what my next guitar purchase will be (which will not happen for a few more years lol) when I've realized I only want from three guitars to choose from; a Telecaster, Les Paul, and an SG. I already own two Strats so I figure why not get a double humbucker guitar? Right? Something totally different.

Anyways I figured whatever I get next would be between an SG and a Les Paul. I've noticed SG sound better (to my ears and taste...please no retaliation posts) but Les Pauls are more comfortable to play. Anyways I'm just curiouis what you guys would choose and why. Les Paul or SG?

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Les Pauls are heavier and bigger. They have slight more bottom end, SG are a bit more treblier.

It's a small difference, i pretty sure that, if you generally play a Les Paul and you broke a string and they give you a SG, it would'nt be "OMG what a difference!1" thing.

Also the looks. Les pauls are more stylish and 'classic', SG are a bit more modern looking (for a 40 year old design that's it).

I mostly prefer SG's for the lightweight and tone factor, but that's it. i'm not a humbucker guy at all.

• Members

i prefer les pauls. i like the weight, though it seems to be something up for debate around here. i've yet to find an SG that actually fits me; something about them just doesn't feel right, and it's not from lack of trying. the sound difference is really pretty subtle and i suspect most anyone would have a hard time deciphering the two.

teles ... love the sound, can't stand the feel.

• Members

While if you held me to one guitar Id have to pick the Paul , just because I think it has more balls , I have started to play SGs , Standard , Supreme , I have to tell ya , I dig them as well.

So to me , Id be happy with either or, But like I said , if I had to pick one nothing beats a LP .

Oh BTW I love V s and Explorers too. :thu:

• Members

Well, I know the LP sound is a classic, but neither LPs nor SGs have ever done much for me. I love the sounds other people get when playing them, but for me, I'll take an arched top strat type guitar with dual HBs any day over a Les Paul.

Les Pauls are usually too heavy for me and they don't balance right when I'm seated. SGs are usually a bit too head heavy when playing with a strap. Strats and Teles both balance for me while seated or standing... so that's what I go with.

• Members

Mmn. Tough choice. I'd probably jump for an SG (preferably one with p90s, though) as LPs are just a touch too prettified for my current tastes (yet I badly want a Gretsch.... go figure). I find LPs much more prone to much than SGs.... an LP is like going into a fight with boxing gloves, whereas the SG is like going in with brass knuckles on...

Course, I'd take an LP Junior or special over either without a second thought.

• Members

Actually, I was asking the same question a couple weeks ago because I couldn't decide, so last Saturday I bought one of each!

I really like them both, and both sound great (I got a LPVM and an SG-3 faded).

I really like the neck on the SG - it's very big and doen't really seem to taper much, but I think you could find a LP like that.

The SG is easier to play--lighter, thinner, better upper fret access, and since mine doesn't have the diving neck issues, it balances better as well.

They sound different, but that's not a 'one is better than the other' thing, and they can sound alike as well, depending on which pick-up you're using and your amp.

The LP is beefier, but it's chambered, so it isn't really heavy.

I still can't choose one over the other.

Funny thing is, like the OP, my next guitar will probably be a Tele (used to have one, but traded it away).

When I do get another Gibson though, it will be an SG Standard, not a LP Standard--and that choice is based on buying my LPVM and SG-3. (And it's not because one is better than the other, it's just that right now I feel like the LPVM is all I could want/need in a LP guitar.)

Hope that helps!

• Members

I do like SGs, because they are lighter in weight and I've liked them since I saw Townshend play one in 1969 during the Tommy tour.

Yet, if I had to choose, I would take a Les Paul. I love the look of a Les Paul. It is timeless, classic. There are dozens of finishes, styles in a Les Paul that look fabulous.

I could see myself being happy with just one SG, but I'd have to have at least 2 Les Pauls ....or maybe more.

• Members

I don't have an SG yet but have begun to look hard at the SG Custom. I just wish it had 24 frets.

The LP is a nicer guitar - I'm an arch top guy at this point so maybe I'll design my own SG with 24 frets and an arch top. Probably end up looking like a PRS.

• Members

It's like choosing between a redheaded stepchild and a redheaded stepchild :lol:

I Love both guitars. One is classy and the other is cool.

I'm a Strat man now but I do have a few examples of each guitar and I do find myself reaching for the SG more than the Les Paul at this point.

(When I want to play a Gibson that is)

• Members

I don't have an SG yet but have begun to look hard at the SG Custom.
I just wish it had 24 frets

The LP is a nicer guitar - I'm an arch top guy at this point so maybe I'll design my own SG with 24 frets and an arch top. Probably end up looking like a PRS.

374794.jpg

Archived