single coil pickup vs. "split" humbucker

twotimingpete

• Members

I installed a coil split on a JB once. It didn't sound very good. My first electric had a coil split on the bridge humbucker, but that pickup didn't sound good either way. I've heard good coil splits before, just not on one that I've owned. But from what I have heard, it is a bit thinner sounding than a "real" single coil.

• Members

Most humbuckers have single coils that are somewhat weaker and wimpier so that when the two coils are wired in series, the resulting sound is pleasing because doing that with two side-by-side Strat coils can get ugly in a hurry.

That's why I think people shouldn't split, they should parallel. That way, you get some of the flavor of both coils, but still at low output and with great clarity.

Some buckers are meant to be split, though, like the Chopper, or the Lace Dually.

• Members

The 904 is an interesting case. The "bridge pup" is really two independent single coils (hence the "x04" of the name model: 0 humbucker, 4 singles. Notice the two adjusting screws on the frame). The push/push tone knob singles or doubles those pups. It has a very tele-esque quality to it when played in single mode.

Tremarm.jpg

• Members

Most humbuckers have single coils that are somewhat weaker and wimpier so that when the two coils are wired in series, the resulting sound is pleasing because doing that with two side-by-side Strat coils can get ugly in a hurry.

That's why I think people shouldn't split, they should parallel. That way, you get some of the flavor of both coils, but still at low output and with great clarity.

Some buckers are meant to be split, though, like the Chopper, or the Lace Dually.

This.

I generally only split a humbucker if I want to parallel half of it with one of my single-coils (i.e., bridge+middle position on a "fat strat")

• Members

Lace dually isn't a humbucker. It's a pair of singles on one frame.

EG

• Members

I have a JB/Jazz combo on one of my guitars which was wired for coil tapping.... I really can't complain. The JB gives nice Tele type sound and the Jazz in the neck has an almost stratish sound.... though I have to kick in a boost to get the levels up to the humbuckers

• Members

To my ears, any of the split humbucker guitars that I have owned in the past have never been able to sound "stratty" enough- still sounded good, just not as good as a true single coil guitar. (IMO) Some split buckers do sound thin as you pointed out, and that can be cool too.

• Members

Could you please give a fuller explanation as I'm pretty much a noob when it comes to coil splitting. Thanks, Steadfastly

• Members

And under that definition, what exactly is a humbucker?

A humbucker consists of 2 coils which are reverse wound and reverse polarity in order to hum cancel. However, each coil is not a full size single coil bobbin closer to half the height of a standard single coil bobbin. Also, the standard construction is different. A typical fender style coil has magnetic slugs passing through the bobbin on which coil is wound. In a standard humbucker, a magnetic bar is touching the slugs which are made of some type of conductive metal. There are several manufacturers now making humbuckers from 2 full size single coils. When these are split you get a true single coil tone. However, some argue that the humbucking mode of these pickups lacks the low mid punch of a traditional humbucker. Its really comes down to a compromise either way if you want both tones out of a single guitar...

• Members

Could you please give a fuller explanation as I'm pretty much a noob when it comes to coil splitting. Thanks, Steadfastly

A humbucker consists of 2 coils which are reverse wound and reverse polarity wired in series. Sires wiring takes the end of one coil joined to the beginning of the second. Splitting them takes the wire which joins the coils and sends it to ground so you now have one live and one dead coil. Parallel wiring wires the starts of both coils to the output and the ends of both coils to ground. Wiring the coils in parallel shifts the resonant peak to sound closer to a single coil than a humbucker but without the hum.

• Members

The Lace Dually is two Lace Sensors in a double coil frame.

One does not serve to cancel hum in the other. They can be wired with a three way switch, just like any other pair of pickups. One, the other or both on.

Since Sensors are essentially noiseless to begin with, they have no need for a noise cancellation coil.

Very cool pickups. A pair of them in a Les Paul gives your four different pickups to work with.

EG

• Members

A humbucker consists of 2 coils which are reverse wound and reverse polarity in order to hum cancel. However, each coil is not a full size single coil bobbin closer to half the height of a standard single coil bobbin. Also, the standard construction is different. A typical fender style coil has magnetic slugs passing through the bobbin on which coil is wound. In a standard humbucker, a magnetic bar is touching the slugs which are made of some type of conductive metal. There are several manufacturers now making humbuckers from 2 full size single coils. When these are split you get a true single coil tone. However, some argue that the humbucking mode of these pickups lacks the low mid punch of a traditional humbucker. Its really comes down to a compromise either way if you want both tones out of a single guitar...

I guess you could just start out with one of these, then wouldn't you have the problem solved?

Godin xtsa

http://www.godinguitars.com/godinxtsap.htm

Godinxtsa.jpg

• Members
The Lace Dually is two Lace Sensors in a double coil frame.

One does not serve to cancel hum in the other. They can be wired with a three way switch, just like any other pair of pickups. One, the other or both on.

Since Sensors are essentially noiseless to begin with, they have no need for a noise cancellation coil.

Very cool pickups. A pair of them in a Les Paul gives your four different pickups to work with.

EG

Well I guess they aren't reverse wired, true. P-Rails can be wired with a three-way switch, though, and I would consider that to be a humbucker, and it's definitely two full single coils.

Archived