Jimi Hendrix Vrs. Eddie Van Halen. No rules. Who wins?

DaveAronow

• Members

Hendrix died at 27....when you die at your rise or peak....you become an icon.

Had Clapton died in 1970, or Van Halen in 1980....they would be icons too.

But instead, they lived....so they will have to settle for being legends.

Fair trade I guess.....Hendrix gets the most glory, but was dead by age 27.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

This. I think EVH works well within the specific framework of a Van Halen song. Outside that I don't know how he'd do. I think Jimi could hold his own in most situations, though.

Hendrix was essentially a blues/R&B player who could jam like a mother{censored}er all night. Eddie can't play anything but VanHalen songs....seems like a no brainer to me.

• Members

Eddie can't play anything but VanHalen songs....

This is probably a sweeping statement that has absolutely no truth..... in reality...there are probably 3 or 4 total people that have EVER visited this forum that on their best day, are as good as Eddie in the middle of one of his meth/booze binder worst days.

• Members
This is probably a sweeping statement that has absolutely no truth..... in reality...there are probably 3 or 4 total people that have EVER visited this forum that on their best day, are as good as Eddie in the middle of one of his meth/booze binder worst days.

I have seen DOZENS of local metal hair band guitarists who could outplay Van Halen any day of the week....you obviously are an EVH fan boy...haha :rolleyes:

yeah..here is eddie trying to jam...:lol:

garbage

• Members

I don't think you'd have EVH without Hendrix. To my ears, Jimi pioneered the 'controlled slop' ethic (along with that other Jimmy), which is a pretty big deal. That said, EVH pushed it to another level - somehow just as loose and sloppy, but more intense, deliberate and dangerous. If I had to pick one to emulate - not that I think they're really that far apart - I'd say EVH with a hair less gain.

This is exactly what I was thinking when I first saw the thread title. I didn't vote because of that. Jimi had so much influence on rock and roll music that Eddie would have been a completely different guitar player without Jimi. It's also entirely possible Eddie never would have even picked up a guitar had Jimi not lived.

• Members
This is exactly what I was thinking when I first saw the thread title. I didn't vote because of that. Jimi had so much influence on rock and roll music that Eddie would have been a completely different guitar player without Jimi. It's also entirely possible Eddie never would have even picked up a guitar had Jimi not lived.

Heh! That's a thought to get the EVH fan boys going this morning! EVH playing keyboard in a Holiday Inn Lounge somewhere. Velour jacket and all....:lol:

• Members
I have seen DOZENS of local metal hair band guitarists who could outplay Van Halen any day of the week....you obviously are an EVH fan boy...haha :rolleyes:[/quote=OldGuitarPlayer]

What's a fanboy? Was that term used on a droid app? or is that old school fron Dungeons and Dragons?

Not a huge VH fan......

1) On youtube you can dig up lots of garbage clips of any super famous player.... including Hendrix

2) With all of the non-famous crap guitar playing I have seen/heard..... I still say that VAN HALEN > 99.9% of most people who consider themselves "guitarists"

Of course Van Halen is garbage now..... he's back with David Lee Roth...who can't sing...never could. Warner Brothers were heisitant to sign VH back in 77/78 cause they thought DLR sucked...... Gene Simmons even suggested to the brothers they replace the lead singer.

• Members

This is the thing with music. Everyone has different tastes. I for one cannot ever bring myself to listen to Van Halen and many of the other artists that people in this thread may like. But I adore Hendrix and can't understand how some people don't like his music like I do.

But that's how it is. You can't force someone to like something if they don't. We all like different music and that's cool. I respect Van Halen for what he did, and if people want to listen to him or play like him, they can go ahead. To each his/her/its own.

• Members

David Lee Roth...who can't sing...never could. Warner Brothers were heisitant to sign VH back in 77/78 cause they thought DLR sucked...... Gene Simmons even suggested to the brothers they replace the lead singer.

Now, why'd you have to dog on DLR? He and Eddie were a match made in heaven.

• Members

"I don't think you'd have EVH without Hendrix. To my ears, Jimi pioneered the 'controlled slop' ethic (along with that other Jimmy), which is a pretty big deal. That said, EVH pushed it to another level - somehow just as loose and sloppy, but more intense, deliberate and dangerous. If I had to pick one to emulate - not that I think they're really that far apart - I'd say EVH with a hair less gain."

Everybody copies from everybody but the (speed playing/ tapping) Eruption solo and You really got me it seems Ed Ripped off from the band Derringer as talked about in this reuion interview......
"Stark: Besides your stuff you also did some covers, like You Really Got Me and on the non-official Live in Cleveland you also did a cover of Rebel Rebel.

Danny: We talked about what would be the song we could do that everybody would know, a cover. We did You Really Got Me before Van Halen. Rick used to do a guitar solo, which he

• Members
"I don't think you'd have EVH without Hendrix. To my ears, Jimi pioneered the 'controlled slop' ethic (along with that other Jimmy), which is a pretty big deal. That said, EVH pushed it to another level - somehow just as loose and sloppy, but more intense, deliberate and dangerous. If I had to pick one to emulate - not that I think they're really that far apart - I'd say EVH with a hair less gain."

Everybody copies from everybody but the (speed playing/ tapping) Eruption solo and You really got me it seems Ed Ripped off from the band Derringer as talked about in this reuion interview......

"Stark: Besides your stuff you also did some covers, like You Really Got Me and on the non-official Live in Cleveland you also did a cover of Rebel Rebel.

Danny: We talked about what would be the song we could do that everybody would know, a cover. We did You Really Got Me before Van Halen. Rick used to do a guitar solo, which he

• Members
On the Album Derringer Live he plays a little You Really got me after a solo in the middle of Rock n Roll Hotchie koo I guess Ed was listening too.Can't find that clip but here is Ed.

Here is the whole interview:

Thanks dude. Will check it out when i get home. Steve Rosen had some audio of Ed with him pretty drung talking about Randy Rhoads and all kinds of {censored}. He was a bit off his nut even then. Still a great {censored}ing guitar player at one time though. They have a new album coming out and i hope he plays his ass off.

• Members

This is a bunch of grown men talking like they are still in high school give, seriously I hate these kiddy post. Hendrix was the most innovative guitarist in rock in which every lead player was measured against until 1978 when Vanhalen the second most innovative guitarist in rock came on the scene and re-wrote the book. I defy one person who claims to have tapped before Ed to play a piece of music that even sounds 1/10 remotely like is going on in Eruption. Both guys were also killer rhythm players to boot. Then we have guys diggingup clips of Ed where the first one is one of those overdubbed joke clips and the second he is so wasted he was probably concentrating harder on just staying erect and not falling on his face than playing the easiest song he ever wrote.Jimi also had his moments on stage of being ripped and sounding like {censored} as I have every bootleg ever put out, and I think most will know the story where after 3 badly played tunes he flung his guitar to the floor and said 'I've been dead a long time" and walked off. If you want to post Ed playing post something like this

and then find me all these guys who can out play him ,but first take them out of the studio and safety of pro-Tools and let them get on stage and play live. People love to kick guys when there down and it is usually the Jimi Hendrix posts I have to jump in where I hear how overrated he was lmfao. I can listen to both anytime of the week and both will always go down as #1 and #2 in that order as innovators.

Archived