Jimi Hendrix Vrs. Eddie Van Halen. No rules. Who wins?

DaveAronow

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

That's what he told people, but the truth was he got drummed out for being a {censored}up. He also claimed he was gay-

from an author who will not name a source for the military records or for the claim of an affair with Brigitte Bardot?????

sure.

Its a good bye line for pushing a new book.

• Members

This is the thing with music. Everyone has different tastes. I for one cannot ever bring myself to listen to Van Halen and many of the other artists that people in this thread may like. But I adore Hendrix and can't understand how some people don't like his music like I do.

But that's how it is. You can't force someone to like something if they don't. We all like different music and that's cool. I respect Van Halen for what he did, and if people want to listen to him or play like him, they can go ahead. To each his/her/its own.

I'm one of those. I give Jimi all the accolades in the world for his innovative playing and his chops. One of the best without a doubt... but ...honestly I cannot sit and enjoy listening to more than a couple of songs without getting disinterested.

It's not the tapping or gymnastics, but to me Eddie is the pinnacle of catchy riff infused rhythm playing. He is my 2nd favorite guitarist behind Jimmy. Get DLR and Sammy out of the way and I could listen to Ed all day. His playing facinates me.

• Members

This discussion never goes anywhere because it never becomes established exactly what is being discussed i.e are we talking purely about guitar technical ability, overall influence on guitar playing in modern music, overall musical impact...

Ironically I think both players tend to have their lead guitar playing focused on entirely too much and it was the amazing rhythm playing of both that set them apart.

...then again, most folks think all Van Halen brought to the scene was two-handed tapping while all Hendrix did was make noise with feedback and the whammy bar and played with his teeth.

• Members

No. Subby has GILLS. EVERYBODY knows that. And cute li'l WINGS on his ankles so he can fly! Which Aquaman can't. Everybody knows THAT, too.

Say hey, Dave A.

How y'all doin'?

Im doing great Charles. Been so busy lately. Lots of work playing, and alot of my spare time is spent practicing fiddle. Starting to take it pretty seriosly which is great for me but I dont have nearly as much time to hangout around here like I was for the first three years. Im still here though and I miss you guys alot when I am not able to be around as much.

Hope you are doing well too Charles, and I hope music is treating you well.

• Members

Both changed the way people played guitar....#Bi-Winning!

This claim has always kind of confounded me.

I've never particularly felt like there's that many rock guitarists nowadays who are really following in Eddie's footsteps, but there's a lot of guys who have at least a few elements of Hendrix in their wheelhouse (Frusciante, Bellamy, Satriani, Tabor etc).

Feel free to correct me and name names, but I hear more about his influence than I ever hear his actual influence.

edit: unless we're talking stuff like the kinds of guitars and amps that are made these days. Fat strats and high-gain amps are largely his doing and that's really not something that's a matter of debate.

• Members

Eddie Van Halen for me. It probably has to do with the fact that I wasn't even born yet when Jimi was popular. By the time I got into music, Eddie Van Halen was all the rage and Jimi's music was what my parents listened too. :freak:

• Members

jimi could play
jimi could write.. mho is song writting was on par with dylan, young, all his contemps
jimi had one hell of a bad ass band twice.. mitch and chazz,, held it down.. that was a freaking great 3 piece..

eddie was just a great guitar player..
there are lots of great guitar players..
the band? bass...? the drums were good.. iduno..

great song writers/guitar players/ band leaders/ visionaries..
not so many...

owell,
that van hagar crap and the gary sharone stuff... you like what ya like...
i guess..

• Members

Check out the documents for yourself-

Wow. I didn't think I could respect him any more than I did, then it turns out he was the George Carlin of the guitar. The giant NO in the loyalty questionnaire is hysterical. As for Vietnam, there were, IIRC all of 400 US Army personnel in Vietnam in 1962. I doubt Hendrix had even heard of it.

• Members

I've never particularly felt like there's that many rock guitarists nowadays who are really following in Eddie's footsteps, but there's a lot of guys who have at least a few elements of Hendrix in their wheelhouse (Frusciante, Bellamy, Satriani, Tabor etc).

Feel free to correct me and name names, but I hear more
about
his influence than I ever hear his actual influence.

edit: unless we're talking stuff like the kinds of guitars and amps that are made these days. Fat strats and high-gain amps are largely his doing and that's really not something that's a matter of debate.

Hmmm, Nuno and alot of other 80's wankers who are still around. I dug Eddie, but hated his clones. ( ala, Nuno,Vito etc,etc ) That's all anybody wanted to be in the 80's was Eddie clones. Fortunately most of them have gone away !!

• Members

Not even a close race. Jimi invented most of the things Eddy used. ( feedback,distortion,whammy bar dives etc,etc,etc )

Which one of those were invented by Jimi? :confused:

The etcs maybe?? He certainly didnt "invent" feedback, distortion or whammy bar dives.

Unless I've missed your sarcasm

• Members

Feel free to correct me and name names, but I hear more
about
his influence than I ever hear his actual influence.

Is your question who sounds like him or who was greatly influenced by him??

I dont think anyone really sounds like him all that much, but in terms of players who took a lot from him guys like Vai, Vernon Reid, Slash, Billy Corgan, Tom Morello, Paul Gilbert would be up there. Even in that list your provided both Satch and Friscuante were greatly unfluenced by VH even if they dont sound like him much. Im sure there are many more though.

I dont listen to much of either VH or Hendrix as Im not really into much of that hard rock anymore. I probably like the same numberof songs from each but find a lot of cringe-worthy material in both too ( Foxy Lady, Wind Cries Mary....Jump, Van Hagar :lol:)

• Members

Which one of those were invented by Jimi?
:confused:

The etcs maybe?? He certainly didnt "invent" feedback, distortion or whammy bar dives.

Unless I've missed your sarcasm

jimi may not have invented the stack.. but he shure as hell gave marshall a push...

as well as most any pedal Roger Mayer produced..

Univibe, fuzztones, octave-ers, overdrives, phaser, flangers, wha, while jimi did not invent them he had great influence in the design.. its well documented that jimi met with roger a lot on the sound aspects of those pedals.. and the strat... became the strat after jimi spun it upside down and did all those cool things with it... before that it was a beach boy and surf kinda deal.... hank marvin and all that brit pop kinda stuff... im still trying to remeber a strat in the context of hard rock music before Jimi... im sure its out there but not to that extreme, 1667. perhaps deep purp.. it was like when dot in the wiz of ozz opened the farm house door and it was all in color..

just look at how music changed from say dylans version like a rolling stone and jimi version.. or the beatles version of SPLHCB vs Jimi... the cat was from mars...

http://www.jimihendrix.dk/index.php?lang=en&page=gear

• Members

I voted Jimi because he had more blues to his playing (Eddie more "meedlely meedlely meeeee") and I don't believe he would have hit the wall artistically as soon as EVH has.

But kudos to EVH for having possibly been a bigger power house player at a specific moment in time.

I've often thought Jimi would have gone more towards the jazz or fusion direction as I believe was evident in his Band of Gypsies recordings.

• Members

Well I am glad to see some guys come in the last two pages of the post with some actual points that can be discussed. I gap both players and the fact is it is the truth neither invented what they were most famous for, in fact it is well known Hendrix used to go tape Buddy Guy shows, but it is what they did with it taking it all to a level never heard before at there respective times. I am just as fascinated about both players rhythm skills as there lead skills, I do not understand this nonsense about Eddie not writing, where did all the music come from for all those songs. Should Elton John be docked as a writer because Bernie Taupen wrote his lyrics. Hendrix is my favorite guitarist since I was a kid yet I never liked Machine Gun, I also think Ed did some amazing guitar work when Sammy Hagar was in the band and maybe some of his most melodic solos like Dreams where on the second solo the trem picked tapping line of the melody still gives me a rise or his soulfoul playing on Love Comes Walking In as he was supposed to be lacking there.

• Members

Is your question who sounds like him or who was greatly influenced by him??

I dont think anyone really sounds like him all that much, but in terms of players who took a lot from him guys like Vai, Vernon Reid, Slash, Billy Corgan, Tom Morello, Paul Gilbert would be up there. Even in that list your provided both Satch and Friscuante were greatly unfluenced by VH even if they dont sound like him much. Im sure there are many more though.

I dont listen to much of either VH or Hendrix as Im not really into much of that hard rock anymore. I probably like the same numberof songs from each but find a lot of cringe-worthy material in both too ( Foxy Lady, Wind Cries Mary....Jump, Van Hagar
:lol:
)

Good point. Eddie cited Eric Clapton as his main influence but he obviously sounds nothing like him.

Jimi wore his influences on his sleeve but still managed to sound totally original.

• Members

"I defy one person who claims to have tapped before Ed to play a piece of music that even sounds 1/10 remotely like is going on in Eruption. "

No tapping here but hammer ons and pulloffs he later added tapping and You really got me to his solo before Van Halen was formed

Ed did not copy the Britney Spears outfit but I think Van Halen had some spandex here and there ;-)

• Members

Well I love Rick and the guy was a pro since 15 when he was with the McCoys and hit with Hang On Sloopy which may surprise some here, as well as you know you are in the elite core when you have played a solo on a Steely Dan album lol. Good post Morgan as it brought something entertaining which music is supposed to be all about and not the idiotic my Father can kick your Fathers ass mentality.

Archived