$400ish semi hollows: which?

twotimingpete

• Members

Here's a few interesting ones I've been looking at. I've played epiphone dots before so I generally know what to expect and I have a certain amount of faith in the artcores and hagstrom based on general accolade. Xavieres I have experience with -- but only the lower end sub $200 bolt ons (which seemed good for the price but not quite in the league of mims and the like).

I'd like to see what you guys think, including any thoughts or impressions on these guitars you may have.

DV016_Jpg_Large_518250.001_ebony.jpg

Epiphone Dot $400

DV016_Jpg_Large_423016.010_white.jpg

Hagstrom Viking 2P $475 (I had no idea these existed, they're some form of slightly lower end viking)

DV016_Jpg_Large_519454.042_ivory.jpg

Ibanez Artcore AS73 $400

910_bk.jpg

Xaviere XV-910 $309 this is the wildcard in the sense that it has a very attractive price, but I have less of an idea of what to expect quality wise

• Members

For me it's a toss up between the Ibanez and the Epiphone. Both are great guitars. I ended up going with the Epiphone because I like the stock pickups better. I ruled out the Hag. Hag necks are too thin for me. I've had several QC problems with GFS. At this point, I consider them a last resort retailer. I'll only order from GFS if I want something that isn't available elsewhere.

• Members

I own both the Ibanez AS73 and the Epiphone Dot. My Dot is from the mid/late 90s, if that matters at all. The Ibanez looks better, and its slightly smaller body is more comfortable. Stock, the Epiphone sounds better to me. The Ibanez sounds very good, though. If I bought a third one (though there would be no reason for that), I'd get another Dot.

I've never played a Hagstrom, though I've seen guitarists in bar bands play them around town. They've sounded good. I've never heard of the model you posted, though.

I've seen a lot of threads with pics of poor QC in Xaviere guitars. Nut slots that look like they were cut with a steak knife, runs in the finish, bad frets, dents on a non-blem guitar, etc. I wouldn't trust one based on that.

• Members

For me, it's mostly about the neck profile. The Dots are fat, The Ibbies are a bit thinner (think modern Fender), The X is a wee bit thinner, and the Hags (the oes I've touched) are thin as hell.

I have a blem XV-900, and it's fine (except the blems, of course ;)) - needs a new nut, and maybe tuner replacement, otherwise plays and sounds really good. The Ibby, IMO, has the best playability and feel of the bunch, but may need pickups. The Dot just feels clumsy to me, and I can't really vouch for the Hag.

I do have a line on a MIK Hamer Echotone, for less than $200...

• Members

I had an Epi Dot and it too had a pretty fat neck that didn't really inspire me to play. However a friend of mine's son has an older model and it's neck has a much thinner profile. I like the neck profile on his much more than the one I once owned. That being said I found the quality of build to be excellent. I have very little experience with the Ibanez line but the ones I have tried are very nice indeed. I jam with a guy who has an Ibanez ES-335 stye guitar and it sounds great but he did replace the stock pups with Gibson PAF ones. I have tried it briefly and I really liked it's neck profile. I don't recall the exact model he had but it had fancier neck inlays and a darker brown natural finish on the body.

• Members

The advantage of the Dot or Ibby is that they are everywhere, and you can play a bunch of em, and you kinda know what your gonna get.

I really like the looks of the Hag, the 6 in line headstock kinda has a Gibson Trini Lopez vibe going on. But if Im not mistaken its a bolt-on if that matters. Ive never played one or even seen one in a store.

The GFS would sound good with the P90s but its possible, but not for certian, you might have to do some set up work.

Neck profile dont matter much to me, i can get along with most anything. I play a lot of acoustic so fat dont bther me, but neither does thin really.

My Tele has an Allparts TMO fat neck thats lovely. My old Carvin has a thinner Gibson 60s profile thats a great fast neck. I like the neck on my MIM Strat too.

• Members

Hamer Echotone is worth a look (there was a MIK one on ebay a couple of days ago). I haven't played one, but I own one of the MIC double cut (SATF?) jobs and it is untouchable at the price they trade for.

• Members

I evaluated these guitars as well as others when I was searching for a semi hollow. I gave detailed descriptions in this thread:

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/showthread.php?2255580-Xaviere-XV-900-Semi-Hollow-review-amp-Comparison&highlight=xv900

It may be helpful to you. For what it's worth, I've still got that Xaviere and it's my most used guitar.

• Members

I'd go Hag or Xaviere.

Dots are kinda meh to me and I hate the thin ass necks on the Ibanez's.

I have heard nothing but awesome things about Hagstroms, and then I own an XV 900. It's totally awesome. Feels great, nice weight, hangs comfortably, thick, yet articulate tone... $350 new with a hardshell case? Certainly.

DSCN0763.jpg

DSCN0766.jpg

DSCN0777.jpg

DSCN0778.jpg

• Members

If you don't mind a smaller body, the Xtone series from ESP/LTD is quite nice. I own a PS1 singlecut and used it for a LOT of my frontman gigs from 2006-2009. I have mine up for sale, but there are some other great examples of these guitars, complete with Bigsby tailpieces and Duncan pickups. Solid machines IMO.

Click here for Xtone PS1 site

Click here for PC series Xtones

• Members

some useful replies here, guys. appreciate it. I'm starting to rule out the xaviere. based on my experience with 3 xaviere purchases I'm just not up for a game of peaka boo, see what you get when you open the box, nor do I want to replace any nuts. I want to play the thing. (to clarify: xavieres CAN be rather good, it's just seems to vary a lot more than the other above brands)

• Members

Voted for the Epi Dot, but with a caveat: get a used Korean Epi Dot in good condition. Great quality guitars and a few of them have great sounding pickups. My buddy's was amazing after a quick setup, mine has a muddy neck HB (oh well). Still plays fantastically and will be an excellent guitar after I get a set of BG Lizards from Bryan (with Jimmy Page wiring, of course :thu:).

Had a XV-910. Loved the sound, couldn't play it though. THICK neck, and it was a bit cumbersome. Heavier than the Dot for sure. YMMV.

• Members

Voted for the Epi Dot, but with a caveat: get a used Korean Epi Dot in good condition. Great quality guitars and a few of them have great sounding pickups. My buddy's was amazing after a quick setup, mine has a muddy neck HB (oh well). Still plays fantastically and will be an excellent guitar after I get a set of BG Lizards from Bryan (with Jimmy Page wiring, of course
:thu:
).

+1

I love my Korean Epi Dot. Build quality seems higher than the Chinese versions. I also prefer the thinner neck. Someday it will get some 57 Classics. :)

• Members

There are several good sub $500 semi-hollows you don't have listed. For one, the Washburn HB35 is a very strong contender... I've owned a DOT and the AS73. The AS73 was great, the DOT was a dog (although I've played some real good ones). Currently I have a Hamer Echotone that is better than both, even in stock form. I also have a Gibson 335, and in some ways like the Hamer better. I got it for $300, brand new, out the door... They usually go in the $400 range, but right now there is one on ebay for $299 shipped.

Archived