$400ish semi hollows: which?

twotimingpete

• Members

Best I've played and owned in your price range if you decide to buy used and shop smart;

-Epiphone Sheraton

-Washburn HB35

As a friendly suggestion from a guy that has owned dozens of semihollows, don't buy any semihollow without trying it first. They are not all the same, not even two examples of the same brand and model. The biggest problem you'll find in low cost semihollows, is that they are way over built. Those Hamer Echotones are an example of that. Wonderful guitars but built like a frick'n tank! They don't offer up that semihollow vibe at all. Of course, it's only my opinion and no offense meant to the guys that love 'em.

Although you can order one off the web and be thrilled with it, you'll be missing out. You have to get to know the breed before buying. Play as many as you can in all price ranges and you'll quickly learn the differences in each. There is a down side to that though, the really nice ones are usually very expensive.:cry:

• Members

Please don't listen to people who say the Korean Epis are better than the Chinese ones.

It's a complete MYTH.

I've played both, and the MIK were better overall. Then again I have a buddy who plays in a band using his MIC Dot, 2010 model. So maybe they've caught up but every MIK Dot I've played was better than every MIC one I've played.

• Members

I've
played
both, and the MIK were better overall. Then again I have a buddy who plays in a band using his MIC Dot, 2010 model. So maybe they've caught up but every MIK Dot I've played was better than every MIC one I've played.

I own several of both and they're all excellent.

• Members

I second the motion that semi-hollows can be overbuilt. Local store has several Epi Elite or Elitist 335s in stock and they seem to weigh over 12 lbs. I have a Washburn HB35 and an Xaviere XV910. The 910 is much lighter and has a bit more semi-hollow feel IMO.

Archived