Your Dreams

Phait

• Members

Here's one I had today http://vicariousdreaming.blogspot.com/2012/01/farming-town.html

Summed up... running into a best friend I hadn't seen in months with a peculiar change about him, chancing upon a very interesting, small rural farming community, and there meeting a cute girl I would never be with (frequent occurrence in my dreams).

Share yours :thu:

• Members

I think I've finally outgrown my semi-annual tornado nightmare; damned Wizard of Oz;)

I have a recurring dream where I've gone back to college (Shippensburg U in Pa.) It's the first day of classes and I don't have my class schedule, so I'm in a panic and can't find the admin building to get help. Campus never looks like it did and I always wind up driving somewhere strange. Usually wake up in a panic with an urgent sense of deja vu. Probably because, being a great procrastinator, it isn't that far from reality. :lol:

I'll probably have it tonight, since I mentioned it.

• Members

I wish I could remember them better. I just remember bits and images, if anything, most of the time.

Some of my less favorite dreams involve editing on Pro Tools. And I only wish I were telling you guys this to wind you up! :D They are generally stress headaches that occur if I've spent days editing something. In my dream, I'll keep trying to do something like edit, and something keeps going awry or something like that. I have other similar dreams like that too, like trying to key in numbers on a phone but continually hitting the wrong numbers and things like that, all stress dreams. Also occasionally have them about work. Fortunately, this doesn't occur very often now, especially now since things are thankfully going well for me.

• Members

On a more serious note (compared to the marshmallow), I very frequently have, a recurring dream... the common school dream. I'm back in high school, or college. Sometimes I haven't done an assignment that is due. Sometimes I haven't studied for the final. Sometimes I haven't attended class all semester. I recently had a kind of temporal distortion twist on the dream. I was back in time, in kinder garden, but I had all the knowledge that I have now. I was going to get to do it all over with my current intellect.

The other much less frequent, but recurring common dream I have is the Naked Dream. Usually, I'm the only one in the office to participate in clothing optional day. :eek:

• Members

Lordy - my brother and I are famous (to our wives, at least) for having these extensive, complicated, re-occuring dream experiences. You don't want to get me started....

Yes - the dream about college -having forgotten the classes I'm supposed to have already attended and have missed and all...I've been there countless times...

Surely you all have seen the Mr. Bean episode about when he sneezes out a load of phlegm while in church during the hymns....tries to transfer the jiggly mass of mucus to his coat pocket, unobserved...it's totally a bad dream all the way....

I have dozens of re-occuring dreams...complex scenarios, buildings and rooms and people and situations that play out either the same way or with subtle twists...

But the one that really gets to me..that I don't forget..is the simple, single, horrific dream of the one big explosion of nothing that wipes out everything....there's nothing more to relate, that's it. The explosion of nothing that wipes out everything. Gives me shivers and nausea just to type out this short description - anyone else have something like this???

Your neurotic friend,

nat whilk ii

• Members

I stopped dreaming long time ago. When I was a young boy my usual dream was I played a piano concerto and shortly before the final I hit a wrong key or or conducting a new work, and woke up at 3:05 am sitting upright in my bed, then at 3:15 after some coffee I wrote down the music I just dreamed and went back to sleep.

Once I asked my composition teacher, he was 88 years old and I was 12: "What do you do when you wake up at 3.05 am, soaking wet, you just finished playing your next composition?" he answered: "Drink a beer and go back to sleep!"

However, today the few dreams I have every now and then are about beautiful women, often appearing naked in my dreams, sometimes singing, or playing bass clarinet, violin solo or englishhorn.

• Members

Dreams are interesting.... everyone has them, the trick is to remember them. I rarely do, except for about 4 recurring dreams which occur in various proportions. So sometimes I'll have dream #1,3 several times a month and 6 months later it will be dream #1,2 with no #3 for ages. I have attached some meaning to them, but they seem pretty clear cut. I can certainly empathize with the "non-prepared in college" dream. In mine, I have not gone to class or done any reading all semester. The grade is 100% on a final, and I figure I can read everything assigned in one day. I end up playing poker and drinking all night (I don't do that.....never play poker and it has been many years since I had a drink after about 9 o'clock) and head over to class totally unprepared and in a panic. Then I wake up. Gotta love that crazy REM sleep!!

• Moderators

The worst dream I ever had. This was 35 years ago and the feeling of that dream still lingers to this day.

My dream: I was 17 and coming home from school. I remember it all vividly. I open the front door. The place was dark. Afternoon sun was peeking around the 1970's window treatments. This was odd... so dark.

"Mom? "Donna? Ellen?" Nothing... just afternoon filtered sunlight. "Dad?"

The couch was pulled from the wall. WTF? I walked over to the couch to see what sort of project my dad had started now... and they were all piled up in a heap behind that couch. They'd been killed. In my dream, instead of an intense panic, it was an intense grief and sadness. Like my heart was being pulled from me, straight to hell. The intensity of emotion actually hurt.

The manner that they'd been killed was clear and detailed in my dream. I won't burden you with that.

I woke up and my heart ached with such an intensity. I was crying. 17 years old, sitting up in bed crying about a family that was still happy and alive. All in their beds... safe. But still, I had to check.

I told them all about my dream that morning at breakfast. The rest of my day, my week... I was depressed. It almost felt as if the dream had really happened. Such intense sadness. Even now typing this is difficult and very sad.

It was a harsh reminder of how much I love them all.

• Members

I'm wandering through a cold, dark, dank, seemingly labyrinthine series of hallways or tunnels. Like something you'd imagine abandoned in the 19th century under Paris...

I'm looking for something... seemingly for hours... as I wander, lost, through the dark labyrynth...

Finally, I force myself to wake up and go take a leak.

• Members

The
worst
dream I ever had. This was 35 years ago and the feeling of that dream still lingers to this day.

My dream: I was 17 and coming home from school. I remember it all vividly. I open the front door. The place was dark. Afternoon sun was peeking around the 1970's window treatments. This was odd... so dark.

The couch was pulled from the wall. WTF? I walked over to the couch to see what sort of project my dad had started now... and they were all piled up in a heap behind that couch. They'd been killed. In my dream, instead of an intense panic, it was an intense grief and sadness. Like my heart was being pulled from me, straight to hell. The intensity of emotion actually hurt.

The manner that they'd been killed was clear and detailed in my dream. I won't burden you with that.

I woke up and my heart ached with such an intensity. I was crying. 17 years old, sitting up in bed crying about a family that was still happy and alive. All in their beds... safe. But still, I had to check.

I told them all about my dream that morning at breakfast. The rest of my day, my week... I was depressed. It almost felt as if the dream had really happened. Such intense sadness. Even now typing this is difficult and very sad.

Yikes! That's a nasty one, no mistake. May it never recur.

My awful family dream along those lines is one I had when I was in about 6th grade - I dreamt I was lying in bed, deep in the night, and slowly, silently, the disembodied head of each family member floated into the room through the partly open bedroom door - like so many drifting balloons. Too ridiculous to feel real once I woke up and re-played it, of course. But utterly horrific nonetheless.

What IS it with the subconscious, anyway? A rhetorical question only - I've heard all the main theories, and none of them seem to ring very true...

nat whilk ii

• Members

I remember my vivid dreams and type them in a diary. I can often remember them four deep and how they segue into each other. For instance last night I wore a gray teeshirt and gray sweats to bed and I dream I'm in a gray elevator wearing the same outfit talking to a women I haven't seen in thirty years and she asks me if I'd gone over to my Dad's place for Christmas and I say no. Totally forgot he died eight years ago.

Then I'm in the Brea Dam walking along in the late afternoon and some people meet up with me and ask me to go burn an old boat that was on the south end of the dam to cover up what they did. I wake up and I'm wondering just what it was they did? Did they kill somebody and want me to take the rap for it?

• Members

On a more serious note (compared to the marshmallow), ... the common school dream.....Sometimes I haven't attended class all semester.:

I've had that one. I realize in the dream that I've only been to one history (or some equally boring) class all semester and finals week is coming up. I don't even have the books sometimes in those dreams.

I also have another spinoff of that where I spend all day, registering for classes at some college.. and yet... fully realize in the dream that I already graduated college years ago. Dunno what that's all about.

Rem dreams are so so cool.

On the random ones with music in the background, it's ALWAYS a new song that's never appeared anywhere...

I've been able to successfuly remember most of two of them and get them written in the hours after I wake up.

I'm REALLY happy with one of them and have yet to find out that it's an actual song ever done by anyone else. That one was particularly cool because in the dream, my girlfriend and I couldn't get a cab in New York and what we ended up doing... played out like a music video right there in the dream... I mean, the song's music and lyrics wrote itself. Cool cool cool.

I've checked the lyrics and melody every which way for a couple of years, and it's just nowhere to be found except in the form it was in the dream.

I'm obviously trying to harness rem dreams a bit better.

• Members

I'm wandering through a cold, dark, dank, seemingly labyrinthine series of hallways or tunnels. Like something you'd imagine abandoned in the 19th century under Paris...

I'm looking for something... seemingly for hours... as I wander, lost, through the dark labyrynth...

Finally, I force myself to wake up and go take a leak.

Yep, complete with a strong, nauseating smell that lasts for awhile after waking.

• Members

It's a tough thing for me. My dreams involve realities that do not connect well with this one, so it's very tough to remember them, and when I do, they are even tougher to describe. It's been this way ever since my near-death experience when I was 16 (41 years ago). The closest I can get to describing them is a mescaline/psilocybin type of experience, but without gravity.

• Members

For the last four years, I have had dreams which are all different... but linked in that they all take place in some town my mind has created. In my dreams, every nook and corner of this town is familiar, but when I awaken, I reflect that the town resembles no real town I know of.

So repetitive have been these dreams, that I could probably, by now, sketch out an aerial map of it.

• Members

For the last four years, I have had dreams which are all different... but linked
in that they all take place in some town my mind has created.
In my dreams, every nook and corner of this town is familiar, but when I awaken, I reflect that the town resembles no real town I know of.

So repetitive have been these dreams, that I could probably, by now, sketch out an aerial map of it.

The town might represent the self, like a house but on a larger scale.

• Members

The town might represent the self, like a house but on a larger scale.

That is almost surely so.... also, the different "neighborhoods" of the town seem to represent different (time) phases in my life. But the characters in these dreams visit all the different regions, so "time" appears to be more-or-less simultaneous in these dreams.

• Members

The
worst
dream I ever had. This was 35 years ago and the feeling of that dream still lingers to this day.

I've also had some nasty little numbers that affect me deeply. One thing I think our mind perversely does, is, using our dreams as the "canvas", limns "worst case scenarios". It's like there's a part of our psyches that boldly wants to know what the worst possible scenario might be (given various people and situations). The perverse way your tongue wants to seek out, repeatedly, the gory socket of a newly-pulled molar. We're animals, after all, like lions and cats and bears... I think our minds want to "gird us" to prepare for even the most outlandish or improbable scenario that might confront us in waking life... hmm..

• Members

What vex me are dreams in which an envisioned sex partner gives me the green light to get lucky.... But for various reasons of propriety, delicacy or embarrassment, I demur.

Then I wake up thinking, "Why would I deny myself sex in my own f***in' dream???"

Truth is, I think our dreams are rarely about unbridled, happy wish-fulfillment featuring no pesky repercussions; they seem to have a more serious, earthbound task to perform for us. Like, keeping us sane by knitting together into the larger sprawling fabric of our psyches things we have learned or thought about during the day.

• Members

Have you heard this following old tale (probably apocryphal) :

Over some months, a man has a whole series of recurring dreams, in which he is exploring the rooms of a house, visiting each room, viewing all objects therein with familiarity. But each time he awakens, he cannot place the house or neighborhood at all, and wonders why it'd seemed so familiar in the dream.

One day, he is out strolling in London, when he finds himself walking down a street he'd never explored before. And, to his great shock, he spies a house that is the dead-ringer for the one in his dream. Unable to restrain himself, he knocks on the door, hoping maybe to finagle an invitation to the interior, to see if it's ALSO the same as in his dream.

The woman who opens the door, introducing herself as the maid, after a second or two, looks at him aghast, blanches as if to faint.

"What is the matter, my good woman?"

"You're.... you're HIM!"

"I beg your pardon?"

"You're the man whose ghost we have seen flitting through this house... in the drawing room and on the stairs! Scaring us all half to death!"

Archived