If you could go back in time and save one musician who would you save?

Snappy Hat

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Someone like Buddy Holly, SRV, or Lennon. Someone who's self-destructive behavior was not the cause of their demise as Hendrix, Morrison, Joplin, Moon, Bonham, etc...you're just buying time until they figure out a different to destroy themselves. Obviously Lennon had cleaned his {censored} and Double Fantasy showed that he was ready make some great music again. Holly was only 22 when he died (my birthday) and I can only imagine how he would have continued to evolve and grow as a writer. Stevie Ray had righted himself like Clapton did nearly two decades before. He realized that he wanted to live and create music, not just bide time between highs. I thought In Step and to a larger extent Family Style showed him evolving beyond even his own musical persona (as he had moved passed just being an obvious product of his influences on Soul to Soul.

Musically Freddie would probably be my favorite choice. I would have liked to see Queen live, especially in support of Innuendo, a stellar album. Just some safe sex and he could still be around amazing us and prevent the Paul Rogers and Queen mess.:p

• Members

None. Changing the past would probably not have the effect you'd think.

Agreed.

Lennon, had he lived, would probably be the most hated man on the planet by now. Assuming the earth was still big enough to contain his ego...

• Members

It's John Lennon. I'd empty a revolver into Chapman right as he gets his pistol out. Self-defense. Plead not guilty. Show trial. John and Yoko and the Dakota doorman all testify on my behalf. Acquittal. {censored} Chapman.

As for Keith Moon, you could have saved him, but I don't think that would have made any lasting difference. He was so self-destructive that I'm surprised he lived as long as he did.

• Members

I like the Mercury and Lennon picks, but they had arguably at least peaked, creatively - or at least built us up a nice solid body of work to enjoy.

But for cutting genius off at the ankles - I'd go with Randy Rhoads. I would have loved to hear where he would have gone. Hendrix would be number 2 for the same reason. Followed by Kurt Cobain.

I don't know. Many think Hendrix would have eventually gone jazz or RnB. Randy would have probably turned out more classical influenced stuff. I think Mercury had tones of stuff left in him. Lennon, I don't know........I think he'd be hanging out with Bono trying to save the world with no time for music.

• Members

Spit take...funny despite the misspelling. Has was seriously writing some great rock music, but that video was just the worst idea he or anyone associated with him ever had.

that's not a misspelling. i just can't force myself to give him the respect of proper spelling anymore.

i know. it pains me too.

• Members

As for Keith Moon, you could have saved him, but I don't think that would have made any lasting difference. He was so self-destructive that I'm surprised he lived as long as he did.

You could not save Moon. Go read Tony Fletcher's bio of him. He was not built to last.

• Members

But somehow Keef has. Was Moonie really that much more self destructive?

I'm betting that Keef knows his limitations. Moon didn't. He OD'ed on a drug specifically prescribed to help with his withdrawl from alcohol. He was not supposed to take more that 3 a day, they found 32 in his stomach during the autopsy.

• Members

You could not save Moon. Go read Tony Fletcher's bio of him. He was not built to last.

You must have stopped reading that part of my comment after about ten words. Read it all the way through this time. We are in agreement. You could have hypothetically saved him from what killed him that day, but he would have killed himself anyway.

Archived