If you could go back in time and save one musician who would you save?

Snappy Hat

• Members

Think of it , you could turn Hendrix face down so he didnt choke on his vomit.

Talk SRV out of getting in that copter . Get Mozart to a better Dr.

What would you do ?

I think I would roll over Hendrix. To this day I wonder what his going to the jazz side

would have brought to music.

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I'd probably pick John Lennon. Yeah, all of the best work from the four had been done by the time he passed, but since he was murdered, I figure he's one of the ones that deserved to go a little longer.

Keith Moon and Hendrix would be my alternate choices.

• Members

2nd choice would be the guitarist for Bill Haley and the Comets, Danny Cedrone

Before Scotty Moore picked up a guitar to back Elvis, and even before the legendary Franny Beecher brought his expertise to Bill Haley's Comets, Danny Cedrone was already a rock-and-roll veteran. This new CD cast a a long-overdue spotlight on one of rock and roll's most overlooked pioneers.

Danny Cedrone died accidentally in the summer of 1954, not long after working on the Bill Haley & His Comets recording of "Shake Rattle and Roll." As such, he never got a chance to experience any of the success of that song, or the recording from April 12, 1954 that carried his never-to-be-equalled guitar solo, "Rock Around the Clock". (Cedrone was never an official member of The Comets, but instead was a favored session player who first worked with Haley on the groundbreaking "Rocket 88" in 1951.)

Cedrone returned to work with Haley's group in 1954, by which time it had been renamed The Comets. He played a key role in the band's first recording session for Decca Records on April 12, 1954 when they recorded "Rock Around the Clock" in New York City.

According to the book Rock Around the Clock by Jim Dawson, Cedrone had been unable to attend the session rehearsal and was uncertain what to play for the first instrumental break in the song. One of the Comets (accounts differ as to exactly who) suggested Cedrone repeat the solo he'd played on "Rock the Joint". Although Danny's wife Millie and daughter Marie recall an informal rehearsal at their home in South Philadelphia after dinner where the two men ran through a few solos, and the Rock The Joint break was one of them. The resulting solo, which was smoother than the previous recorded version, is widely considered one of the greatest rock and roll guitar solos of all time.

Cedrone was paid only $21 for his work on the session, as at that time Haley chose not to hire a full-time guitarist for his group. Cedrone would also play on the June 7, 1954 recording session for Haley's version of "Shake, Rattle and Roll" although he was not allotted the chance for another notable guitar solo.

On June 17, ten days after this session, Cedrone died of a broken neck after falling down a staircase (some sources say he died of a heart attack). His place as session musician in the Comets was taken by Franny Beecher, who would later graduate to full Comets member.

Eight months after Cedrone's death, "Rock Around the Clock" was included on the opening credits of the film Blackboard Jungle and became the first rock and roll recording to hit the top of the American charts. Subsequently the song was performed on TV many times by Haley and the Comets; on several occasions (depending upon the demands of the program) the band would lip-synch to the 1954 recording. As a result, footage exists of both Bill Haley (on The Milton Berle Show) and Franny Beecher (American Bandstand and the 1956 film, Rock Around the Clock) miming to Cedrone's original solo. Beecher, himself an acclaimed and respected guitarist, did not begin to actually emulate Cedrone's solo until as late as the 1980s. Up until that point, Beecher replaced the down-scale run that Cedrone used to conclude his "Clock" guitar solo with a series of fast arpeggios.

• Members

I'd probably pick John Lennon. Yeah, all of the best work from the four had been done by the time he passed, but since he was murdered, I figure he's one of the ones that deserved to go a little longer.

Keith Moon and Hendrix would be my alternate choices.

yeah...we could really use john's voice these days. he'd probably be hated by most.

• Members

I did not know this, is there an online account of this incident?

From Wikipedia:

Ives was identified in the 1950 pamphlet Red Channels and blacklisted as an entertainer with supposed Communist ties.[21] In 1952 he cooperated with the House Unamerican Activities Committee (HUAC) and agreed to testify. He stated that he was not a member of the Communist Party but that he had attended various union meetings with fellow folk singer Pete Seeger simply to stay in touch with working folk. He stated: "You know who my friends are; you will have to ask them if they are Communists."[22]

Ives's statement to the HUAC ended his blacklisting, allowing him to continue acting in movies. But it also led to a bitter rift between Ives and many folk singers, including Seeger, who accused Ives of betraying them and the cause of cultural and political freedom in order to save his own career. Ives countered by saying he had simply stated what he had always believed. Forty-one years later, Ives reunited with Seeger during a benefit concert in New York City. They sang "Blue Tail Fly" together.

• Members

Ives's statement to the HUAC ended his blacklisting, allowing him to continue acting in movies. But it also led to a bitter rift between Ives and many folk singers, including Seeger, who accused Ives of betraying them and the cause of cultural and political freedom in order to save his own career. Ives countered by saying he had simply stated what he had always believed. Forty-one years later, Ives reunited with Seeger during a benefit concert in New York City. They sang "Blue Tail Fly" together.

Oh, I guess that's why Elia Kazan used Ives in his movie East of Eden, they were compadres :idea:

So why would you want to prevent his death?

Archived