Guitar Racks; What Do You Cover that Horrendous Foam With?

photon9

• Members

Cases were taking up too much room so I got a couple guitar racks (pro-line 5-guitar), but I'm worried. Even though I don't have any Nitro-finished guitars I am concerned that the foam still might not be good for the finish.

I was thinking of covering it possibly with black nylons or something similarly cheap and easy to throw on. Not sure.

I've never liked the idea of having all my guitars out on racks but the space issue was killing me (and they sure do look nice out and are much easier to just grab and play).

So what do you use to protect your precious guitars from that caustic looking foam crap?

• Members

Foam is likely fine, and if something does start to react it will happen slowly, not all at once. My hangers (which never had foam in the first place), are lined with felt and have worked fine for a couple of decades.

• Members

My guitars have been sitting on the same foam for close to 3 years without a single mark. The foam won't hurt modern finishes one bit. As long as you don't have nitro, don't worry about it.

this, i've been using one of the proline stands for a while and its fine with poly. I wouldn't trust it with nitro though.

• Members

I thought I had purchased my stands post-destructive-foam, but found out last week that I hadn't. Ate through the nitro on two of my PRSi, and that was a pretty horrific discovery for me. :mad: As it happened, I had just chucked a pair of old shorts, so I broke out a needle and thread for the first time in my life... Whatcha think? :)

100_0935.jpg

• Members

My guitars have been sitting on the same foam for close to 3 years without a single mark. The foam won't hurt modern finishes one bit. As long as you don't have nitro, don't worry about it.

This.

I have the 7 guitar stand and its full up most of the time. Doesn't hurt poly guitars. BUT, i did set my Teisco EP8t on there and it got a little nitro damage. Took it off before it become noticeable (you have too look at it in the right light).

But as long as you just keep your poly guitars on it, have no worries.

I do have a few nitro guitars on hangers though. I used some cheap blue felt from a craft store to cover them and it works great.

• Members

I'll have to do a how to with pics in a day or two. I get black velveteen from Joanne Fabrics which is a dead match for the material in guitar cases. I fold it over itself with the velvet side in. I stitch that up on the sewing machine. after pulling it thru, I wrap that around and stitch it by hand right over the foam usint a simple baseball stitch. If you're careful you have a wrap that looks stock and is nitro safe. As far as the OP, your guitars will be fine with the foam.

• Members

I thought I had purchased my stands post-destructive-foam, but found out last week that I hadn't. Ate through the nitro on two of my PRSi, and that was a pretty horrific discovery for me.
:mad:
As it happened, I had just chucked a pair of old shorts, so I broke out a needle and thread for the first time in my life... Whatcha think?
:)

100_0935.jpg

You may want to remove that button...

• Members

I thought I had purchased my stands post-destructive-foam, but found out last week that I hadn't. Ate through the nitro on two of my PRSi, and that was a pretty horrific discovery for me.
:mad:
As it happened, I had just chucked a pair of old shorts, so I broke out a needle and thread for the first time in my life... Whatcha think?
:)

100_0935.jpg

That looks like something out of Silence of the Lambs. :freak:

• Members

I have a couple of Guitar stands with black foam that doesn't seem to harm my poly guitars, However, a violin hanger with toxic rubber was starting to mar the finish.

I rolled on a couple of coloured gauze finger bandages from the local drugstore. Neat and solved.

• Members

ehhh... Looks a little ghey???

I went with the terrycloth towel method (below) a few years ago. Yes, even that is a bit ghey looking, but I could more easily explain away the towel method over some needlework invention if friends were over.

I guess the difference between you and me is that I don't have to explain myself to my friends. ;)

Archived