Possibly one of the greatest songs ever written by the greatest American band ever?

• Members

Priest were hardly NWOBHM, the list is mostly topped by Diamond Head, Trespass and Angel Witch and ultimately Maiden

Valid point on Priest as they are speed and heavy metal above all else, but I will stand by the opinion that "Unleashed in the East" (1979) is undoubtedly the greatest live album ever and chock full of NWOBHM-ish influences (see: The Ripper). And I hate to disagree with somebody who knows what they're talking about , but Satan's "Court in the Act" absolutely destroys Angel Witch's self-titled (though it was great as well). Sorry for hi-jacking the topic

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

The greatest American band ever was, of course ...

THE RAMONES.

Honorable mentions to (in alphabetical order):

Alice Cooper

The Allman Brothers Band

The Band

Beach Boys

The Byrds

Captain Beefheart & His Magic Band

The Doors

Little Feat

Living Colour

Lovin' Spoonful

MC5

Mothers Of Invention

Nirvana

Rage Against The Machine

New York Dolls

The Stooges

ZZ Top

... among others ...

(And that's the RAWK peeps ...)

• Members

Happy to say I have never owned or will ever own any thing by the Dead.

I do however have a "The Dead Suxs" sticker on one of my cases. I bought it from a shop on Telegraph ave in Berkeley

and love the irony that the store sold those.

• Members

THE RAMONES.

Alice Cooper

The Allman Brothers Band

The Band

Beach Boys

The Byrds

The Doors

Little Feat

Living Colour

Lovin' Spoonful

MC5

Mothers Of Invention

Nirvana

Rage Against The Machine

New York Dolls

The Stooges

ZZ Top

... among others ...

You forgot Death.

• Members

THE RAMONES.

Alice Cooper

The Allman Brothers Band

The Band

Beach Boys

The Byrds

The Doors

Little Feat

Living Colour

Lovin' Spoonful

MC5

Mothers Of Invention

Nirvana

Rage Against The Machine

New York Dolls

The Stooges

ZZ Top

... among others ...

Dear Charles,

I agree with some of what you've got, but I do think that several of your choices (e.g. Capt. Beefheart, NY Dolls) are pretty much acts that were (or are) rather atrocious and only really appeal to clever people like you who speak loudly in restaurants or simply suck hard (e.g. RATM). I would replace the aforementioned with a couple of bands that actual, real people actually, really LISTENED to back in the day (and weren't just albums owned by the snobby cognoscenti) such as:

CCR (if you don't believe they belong, you must not be "murrican, you silly limey!)

Journey (I personally can't stand 'em, but they had and have a very large influence on American music)

Allman Brothers (and/or Skynyrd) -- both incredibly influential...

With these minor changes (and yes, I understand that actually selling lots of records damages one's "cred"...) I approve your list...

Sincerely (and with tongue firmly in cheek!),

Bob

• Members

^^^

CCR I gladly concede. My baaaad.

The Allman Bros were already there.

Journey ... popular and influential they may have been, but they were still AOR cheese and will never appear on any roll of honour into which I ever have any compilation input.

• Members

^^^

CCR I gladly concede. My baaaad.

The Allman Bros were already there.

Journey ... popular and influential they may have been, but they were still AOR cheese and will never appear on any roll of honour into which I ever have any compilation input.

I can support the latter, but I had to include it lest my wife fix me with her evil eye... :eek:

• Members

THE RAMONES.

Beach Boys

MC5

Nirvana

New York Dolls

The Stooges

... among others ...

Agree with Charles's top choice, and the list above (with many omitted from original).

Would add:

Velvet Underground

Modern Lovers

Pixies

& a few more.

BSman if you must put on Journey, you have to add the Eagles...down that road lies madness.

For a variety of reasons (among them marketing), American acts are based on front men. So the bands are largely second tier, but then we have this other list:

Elvis

Chuck Berry

Bob Dylan

To say nothing of the small-scale honor roll of Link Wray, Eddie Cochran, Gene Vincent, Duane Eddy (hell yes)...

• Members

I'm a big Dead fan, but would never consider them top 10, or even top 20, material.

The csm list and addenda are more like it. I'd throw in the Strokes and White Stripes for good measure [flamesuit on].

Ramones on top? I don't think so. Dylan by a large margin, followed by Elvis, Beach Boys, Chuck Berry, VU, and CCR.

Nothing wrong with the Dead (well, except that they're dead), just hard to stand up to that sort of firepower.

• Members

Yet another mediocre offering from a mediocre band.

It's fine if you don't like the band but there's no universe in existence where this would qualify as a mediocre song. As the original tribute album Deadicated proved to non-deadheads their songs were mostly top notch whether or not you liked the execution...

• Members

Boy, you really left yourself wide open with this thread. I like Casey Jones and Uncle John's Band from Workingman's Dead. Like others have said, the Dead being the greatest American band ever, is up for debate. For me, I'd put the Allman Bros., CCR, Skynyrd, The Buffalo Springfield and the Doors ahead of them.

Archived