Possibly one of the greatest songs ever written by the greatest American band ever?

• Members
I think you misspelled "Aerosmith."

Thanks for saving me from having to be the board's default Aerosmith defender! And glad to see some positive comments about it as well...I've long maintained that based on longevity, influence, sales and stable lineup that Aerosmith has to be included in any discussion of greatest American rock band regardless of how one feels about the music. It just can't be denied...

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I think you misspelled "Aerosmith."

Thanks for saving me from having to be the board's default
Aerosmith
defender! And glad to see some positive comments about it as well...I've long maintained that based on longevity, influence, sales and stable lineup that
Aerosmith
has to be included in any discussion of greatest American rock band regardless of how one feels about the music. It just can't be denied...

Best-selling American band of all time (album sales), IIRC.

• Members

Since some folks have mentioned folks who aren't necessarily a "band," I'll add my vot for Tom Waits, and John Hiatt...classic American music.

Oh, and, yeah, Talking heads deserve mention (as previous), as there was nothing like them, before or since.....

....and, of course, I have to agree with csm's choice of the Ramones...perfect band at the time (for years). Music doesn't have to be egg-head music to be the greatest (......otherwise, perhaps Laurie Anderson would be the reigning queen ...... she's another American treasure:cool: )

• Members

Pek, if you ever get to England try:

Will do. We got ourselves an icecream maker (from UK, ironically) and the icecream you can make at home is way better than the stuff they sell in shops here. I think it's because you don't have to add all the rubber that prevents the icecream from turning to ice if it melts just a little and freezes again.

I was in the UK last summer actually. We did a trip, Paris->London->Manchester->London, in fact our best memories are from a single day hike in the peak district.

• Members

The greatest American band ever was, of course ...

THE RAMONES.

Honorable mentions to (in alphabetical order):

Alice Cooper

The Allman Brothers Band

The Band

Beach Boys

The Byrds

Captain Beefheart & His Magic Band

The Doors

Little Feat

Living Colour

Lovin' Spoonful