Possibly one of the greatest songs ever written by the greatest American band ever?

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

American Beauty is, by far, their best record.

Agreed, but I think "Ripple" is their best song on the album.

Never was a deadhead tho, never got to a concert, their live jam style stuff bored me.

As Yogi Berra would say, "Nobody goes to Dead Concerts, there's too many people there."

• Members

I'm no fan and I find their stuff often goes nowhere and is pointless, but I will tip my hat to Garcia and really the whole band - they were some great players. I just didn't really like what they played. I chalk it up to my first guitar teacher when I was 12 in 1977, he was a huge dead head hippie. I remember having to learn songs from Terrapin Station (which was brand new I think and he learned the whole damn album lol - yeah major dead freak) and all I wanted to learn at that time was Aerosmith, Rush, and Led Zeppelin songs! I've grown to appreciate them more over the years but I still don't consider myself much of a fan. When I go to that roots/folk/country rock stuff, I prefer The Band for instance, yeah different I know but same ballpark.

I finally "got" the Dead when I was about 18. Not all of their stuff, by a long shot: there's plenty of their songs that get on my nerves, a lot of pointless noodling when they play live (take "Drums / Space" ... please!), and I grew to hate the scene at their shows when I realized I don't much care for (a) hippies or (b) people on large amounts of heavy drugs (and yes, there's some redundancy between (a) and (b), but it's not complete overlap). But yeah, American Beauty, Workingman's Dead, and Terrapin Station were great albums.

• Members

(And that's the RAWK peeps ...)

Many great ones on that list. I'd quibble with a few: especially Capt. Beefheart, whom almost nobody except serious music geeks and rock critics (but I repeat myself) could name a single song of his, let alone recognize his music if they heard it. I'm a music geek and I don't even know a single song of Beefheart's; I know I've listened to a couple at some point, but they never really stuck in my memory or inspired me to seek out more.

NY Dolls is in the same category -- lots of bands who followed them were (consciously or unconsciously) influenced by them (even if only in their "look"), but if you picked 20 random people who listen to rock music and asked them to name a Dolls song, you might get one who knew any.

• Members

Trout Mask Replica has to be the biggest piece of {censored} ever recorded. Or am I too lame to "get it"?

Edit:

Greatest band? I'll chime in with Talking Heads. Aerosmith became a stereotype of itself after a while.

• Members

Yes but your taste has always been monumental fail David:wave:

Really? Always?

Sure, I love Skynyrd, yeah Ive ribbed a few of the Clapton worshipers from time to time, mostly mildly trolling them, and yes, I love country music, and also really enjoyed Van Halen when I was younger especially with DLR and have defended Eddie as a player sometimes, but other than that, I have a feeling we probably like a ton of the same music, and probably love alot of the same music. So, I ask you once again, what are you basing this outrageous and libelous claim on? I need examples. Otherwise, you can shut that sewer beneath your nose, and I will accept your apology. I ought to sue your ASS! You have exactly ONE hour to respond, or I am telling Frets99 on your ass! And then you willREALLY be sorry.

• Members

Yes, we are, but weve been playing nonstop. The band that backs Adrian ray has sort of taken on a life of its own and we are regularly backing five or so other artists, male and female, besides Ray, as well as doing a bunch of stuff on our own as The Honkytonk Hitmen. Three states in three days this week, and playing with Darryl Worley this weekend. We are writing with just about all of these groups. More to tell, but I dont want to highjack rataes'thread anymore, Even though he IS a big cottonheaded ninnymuggins.

• Members

Edit:

Greatest band? I'll chime in with Talking Heads. Aerosmith became a stereotype of itself after a while.

I was actually going to suggest Talking Heads as a legitimate contender.:thu:

And Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers gotta be in there somewhere, too.

• Members

And Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers gotta be in there somewhere, too.

Now, that's an idea -- sheesh, I was just listening to a lot of Tom Petty in the past week, and marveling at how many fantastic songs and albums he's done over the course of a 30-year plus career. Yeah, there were a few clunkers in there, but even the Beatles had some of those. Based on sustained output, TPatH probably edges out Aerosmith at the top.

Talking Heads, though -- no. Just no. Not even close.

• Moderators

Aerosmith, like the Rolling Stones and Rod Stewart, has the dubious distinction of having been successful long enough for at least one generation to not really have any clue how great they were in their prime.

I think both the Stones and Aerosmith still have it going on under the surface....the same cannot be said of the aforementioned Mr Stewrat or Mr Clapton for that matter, but yes, I don't think many people realise how awesome the early to mid 70s Aersomith were.

And worth pointing out that apart from a short break for two members the same lineup for 41 years

• Members

I think both the Stones and Aerosmith still have it going on under the surface....the same cannot be said of the aforementioned Mr Stewrat or Mr Clapton for that matter, but yes, I don't think many people realise how awesome the early to mid 70s Aersomith were.

And worth pointing out that apart from a short break for two members the same lineup for 41 years

have you heard the aerosmith album 'honkin on bobo'?... released in 2004 i think.... cool album

• Moderators

have you heard the aerosmith album 'honkin on bobo'?... released in 2004 i think.... cool album

I like 9 Lives as well:idk:

But then I see at least two track I like in every Stones album ever made and Exile on Main Street is not even in my Top 5 favourite Stone's albums, and is that because I have poor taste or just don't let journos (soz Chas) choose my favourite music?

• Members

I like 9 Lives as well:idk:

But then I see at least two track I like in every Stones album ever made and Exile on Main Street is not even in my Top 5 favourite Stone's albums, and is that because I have poor taste or just don't let journos (soz Chas) choose my favourite music?

i think often bands don't have a use by date... fans do.... if some of the more recent stones songs were recorded during their 'classic' period, people would probably look at them differently (the songs.. not the band)

Archived