Possibly one of the greatest songs ever written by the greatest American band ever?

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I like that one. Nice.

This one is still my favorite dead song though.....but I'm hardly and expert.

The little main lick in this song is just so brilliant in my opinion...

[video=youtube;uSWfgpfN3qU]

One thing though...I really wish they would have worked harder on their singing....it's terribly off key...

• Members

Friend of the devil is one of the best acoustic rock numbers. I agree Jerry Garcia should have shut his yap and let Bob Weir and Pigpen do more of the singing, but let's face it: Dylan doesn't possess the world's greatest set of pipes either, and nobody complains too much about him...

NEway -- this song is excellent because it sounds great solo, or with pretty much any assemblage of instruments you can name. I've played it backed by everything from mandolins, to ukuleles to accordions, and it always works!

BTW -- I've always thought of the GD as sort of the "anti-metal", because not only is their music anathema to the cookie-monster crowd, but it kills them that the Dead were using the morbid graphics WAYYYYY before metal was ever conceived.

• Members

I dont know about all that, Court in the Act is one of my fav cds ever and for '83, wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy ahead of it's time; Though technically speaking, there are a ton of awesome NWOBHM bands!:rawk:

Though I do suppose something by Priest should be at the top of the list probably.

• Members

Why?
:(

Just didn't think your taste ran that way, thought you liked heavier stuff.

As for myself, I grew up in the SF Bay Area in the 1970s. Any time a Grateful Dead song comes on, I get a queasy feeling even before I recognize what it is.

• Members

i tend to lean more towards both "Box of Rain" and "Brokendown Palace" both also from American Beauty but "Friend of the Devil" is good too. American Beauty is, by far, their best record. As far as "greatest American band..." ehhh, not in my estimation but i can understand their allure.

• Members

What did the Deadhead say when they got out of rehab? Damn they suck!

I'm no fan and I find their stuff often goes nowhere and is pointless, but I will tip my hat to Garcia and really the whole band - they were some great players. I just didn't really like what they played. I chalk it up to my first guitar teacher when I was 12 in 1977, he was a huge dead head hippie. I remember having to learn songs from Terrapin Station (which was brand new I think and he learned the whole damn album lol - yeah major dead freak) and all I wanted to learn at that time was Aerosmith, Rush, and Led Zeppelin songs! I've grown to appreciate them more over the years but I still don't consider myself much of a fan. When I go to that roots/folk/country rock stuff, I prefer The Band for instance, yeah different I know but same ballpark.

Archived