Who's makin' this stuff up?

• Members

"Game changer" and "robust" seem to be fading. Good riddance.

So now, I get these calls with "thought I'd reach out to you to..." Seeing this in printed articles too. What's up with that?

No, you didn't "reach out to me for help".... you called me to ask if I'd show up.

I didn't "reach out" to the clerk at Albertsons. I just asked him where the charcoal was.

If I need help, I'm not gonna "reach out to you". I'm gonna send an email and ask the stupid question.

Where does this stuff come from?

• Members

I`m not sure what you`re getting at/complaining about. Are you complaining about soliciting? or how language is changing?

The one thing that annoys the heck out of me while we`re at:

1) people who chew with their mouths open; apparently they have no clue they`re doing so and continue to let everyone hear whats going on in their mouths... truly annoying and thoughtless...

2) people who cut me off and then decide to go the extra measure to roll down the window and give me the finger... I guess cutting me off, almost causing an accident wasn`t bad enough... "hmmm, let me give this guy the bird while I`m endangering him!" Genius.

3) people who litter.... another mindless human behavior I observe daily... I guess the attitude is, "someone else will clean it up?" or maybe its just mindless...

3b) smokers who throw their cigarette butts on the floor... you know, its bad enough that you`re polluting your lungs and mine with the second hand smoke, put the freaking butt in the trash!

Well, that was more than one thing but those are definitely my top 3 annoyances.

• Members

a couple of more while I`m on the subject...

4) people who have a "my child was student of the month at... ".... NEWS FLASH: nobody cares! And another thing, why would you want to ruin your car with a silly sticker?

5) people who feel the need to tell us what they`re doing every minute of the day on their FB page... NEWS FLASH: nobody cares!

6) people who talk on their cell phones in public and think everyone wants to be part of their conversation...

7) people who are just overly optimistic... yeah, I get it, it doesn`t pay to be pessimistic but overly optimistic tells me you`re fake. No one is that happy go lucky all the time so quit the act.

8) people who talk BS just to sound/look good. The world would be a better place if people just admitted they didn`t know what they were talking about and sought professional help

9) people who don`t know their limits... I see this all the time with people who think they can play or sing... they want to perform this or that song... and I just want to kindly pull them aside and tell them, "Listen kid, this is out of your league right now..." but sometimes I think its better to let them just fall flat on their face and learn... which leads me to my final gripe this morning...

10) people who blame everyone or everything accept themselves... you know what, I`m not perfect, I have bad days and sometimes I have them a few weeks in a row and I`m tired of blaming others and external things for it. I came to that conclusion a while ago so lets just suck it up, stop complaining and take responsibility for our lives and yeah, its true, this list is made up of things that annoy me but you can let these things drag you down, you have to get over it, its not that important in the grand scheme of things.... basically take responsibility, due diligence, walk the line and transparency are ideals worth striving for.

OK, I`m done now... for now... :thu:

• Members

a couple of more while I`m on the subject...

6) people who talk on their cell phones in public and think everyone wants to be part of their conversation...

Cell Phones!!! :mad: Are a skourge on society.

My biggest pet peeve. When you are in the middle of a conversation with someone, then they put the hand up. And answer some phone call. So rude. But worse is when they actually start texting while you are talking to them.

• Members

Kind of cracks me up. A comedian, commenting on people who insist on screaming into their cell phones, once said (paraphrased) "You can call around the world with your cell phone, your aren't trying to shout your message to them."

• Members

And another thing, why would you want to ruin your car with a silly sticker?

They don't put it there for you- they put it there for their kid. It's a show of pride and support. It means "look kid, we're so proud of what you did, we're putting a sticker on the car." It's debatable if that's even a good idea, but they're really not doing it for you, at least in most cases.

• Members
"Game changer" and "robust" seem to be fading. Good riddance.

So now, I get these calls with "thought I'd reach out to you to..." Seeing this in printed articles too. What's up with that?

No, you didn't "reach out to me for help".... you called me to ask if I'd show up.

I didn't "reach out" to the clerk at Albertsons. I just asked him where the charcoal was.

If I need help, I'm not gonna "reach out to you". I'm gonna send an email and ask the stupid question.

Where does this stuff come from?

I'm'a reach out and smack you silly, if you don't get back to work.

• Members

Cell Phones!!!
:mad:
Are a skourge on society.

My biggest pet peeve. When you are in the middle of a conversation with someone, then they put the hand up. And answer some phone call. So rude. But worse is when they actually start texting while you are talking to them.

I can't remember the exact percentage, but, IIRC, something like 1/3 of smartphone users admit to using them during, uh, intimate encounters.

The mind boggles... and the farther one goes down that road, speculating on just how those smart phones were being used, the more boggled the mind gets.

• Members

One thing that's been bugging me lately:

People who write "I could of..."

I get that some people have bad spelling, but writing something like this says you don't even understand what words you're saying when you say "I could've..." I see this a lot lately, and it seems fairly new. Of course, I'm talking about people for whom English is their native language.

As for the OP:

"Reach out to you" is a trite, but common business phrase. It's hardly new. I don't know what kind of calls you're getting, but in some cases it makes sense even though it's beat to death. Of course it wouldn't make sense to say you "reached out" to an Albertson's clerk.

"Game changer", depending on the subject, could be completely obsolete. Things tend to change so quickly these days, often something doesn't have enough time to become the standard 'game' before the next thing comes along. Plus, the phrase implies a profound change, and in practice it seems it's often used to fluff up the image of an otherwise anemic development.

• Members

I get that some people have bad spelling, but writing something like this says you don't even understand what words you're saying when you say "I could've..."

People who can't spell need to leverage their core competency by the utilization of an aggregate collection of eyeballs.

• Members

I can't remember the exact percentage, but, IIRC, something like 1/3 of smartphone users admit to using them during, uh, intimate encounters.

The mind boggles... and the farther one goes down that road, speculating on just
how
those smart phones were being used, the more boggled the mind gets.

My mind is boggled just reading this post. I hadn't heard that. Yipes.

People are gettin' weirder and weirder.

• Moderators

Shoot me an email. It's so pseudo cowboy. Hey pardner, shoot me an email! Okey dokey Sheriff!

When people in my corporate environment talk to me (the creative weird guy) and call me "dude". Now, I use the term dude affectionately. Hey, I live here in dudeland amongst lots of "dudes". But when the CEO is shaking my hand on a job well done or whatever and calls me dude... that's just insulting. Patronizing. That's rad of you to say, sir.

• Members

And another thing, why would you want to ruin your car with a silly sticker?

The stuff that annoys you seems to be the same stuff that annoys me too...with the exception of this one. This one, it seems, is a show of support and pride for the kid. That said, I would never plaster something that announces where my kid goes on public, but that's just me.

9) people who don`t know their limits... I see this all the time with people who think they can play or sing... they want to perform this or that song... and I just want to kindly pull them aside and tell them,
"Listen kid, this is out of your league right now..."
but sometimes I think its better to let them just fall flat on their face and learn... which leads me to my final gripe this morning...

I think this is better too. And you never know, they may eventually become better. I can't begin to tell you how many people used to say, "Hey, stick to keyboards" when I'd be learning to play guitar as a second instrument. Not very encouraging. So I'd just leave 'em alone.

10) people who blame everyone or everything accept themselves... you know what, I`m not perfect, I have bad days and sometimes I have them a few weeks in a row and I`m tired of blaming others and external things for it. I came to that conclusion a while ago so lets just suck it up, stop complaining and take responsibility for our lives and yeah, its true, this list is made up of things that annoy me but you can let these things drag you down, you have to get over it, its not that important in the grand scheme of things.... basically take responsibility, due diligence, walk the line and transparency are ideals worth striving for.

Oh crap, you've met my old girlfriend!

• Members

This one, it seems, is a show of support and pride for the kid. That said, I would never plaster something that announces where my kid goes on public, but that's just me.

Yeah, I don`t get it still. I have two kids and show my support and pride by putting their school work on the frig, framing their artwork around the house, etc... but these public displays just say, "Look at me!!!!"

Then you`ve got people on FB constantly giving us updates how smart their kids are... and how wonderful their husbands and wives are.... thats enough to make Santorum throw up! The more I think about it....

#11) People... they just tick me off

:lol:

• Members

Game Changer and Robust are macho terms. Reaching out is nuturing, so if you're really macho a nurturing term would seem offensive to you, like the terms welfare or medicare.

There used to be a commercial back in the 70s, I think it was AT&T, that had a tag line that was sung, "reach out and touch someone". Then there's that political one where a dem or republican would try to reach across the isle to the other party.

I've seen a few "My kid beat up the student of the month" stickers, very macho, non-nurturing.

I'm finally getting used to people having full blown loud conversations in public. At first I thought they escaped from a mental institution and were off their meds.

I really hate the word prolly! Lazy speak.

Any parting shots?

• Members

The term "reach out" kinda blows, but not just because it is some meaningless corporate buzz speak.

It's a neologism, which makes it goofy, but the reason I don't like it is because it has a very specific meaning.

It's basically a polite way of saying "call that a-hole and push him to give you what you should have been given to get your project done."

And this has it's own painful connotation: somewhere along the line someone has failed to do their part of the project.

So it also can say something like "when I sold this project, I didn't really get clear information about what the client wants, nor did I correctly document it in our project management system."

Or sometimes it means "the client was really vague about what they want in this 5-figure website that you're gonna build them, so why don't you call them up and try and tease out what they are looking for".

:facepalm:

• Members

7) people who are just overly optimistic... yeah, I get it, it doesn`t pay to be pessimistic but overly optimistic tells me you`re fake. No one is that happy go lucky all the time so quit the act.

8) people who talk BS just to sound/look good. The world would be a better place if people just admitted they didn`t know what they were talking about and sought professional help

9) people who don`t know their limits... I see this all the time with people who think they can play or sing... they want to perform this or that song... and I just want to kindly pull them aside and tell them,
"Listen kid, this is out of your league right now..."
but sometimes I think its better to let them just fall flat on their face and learn... which leads me to my final gripe this morning...

OK, I`m done now... for now...
:thu:

I like the bumper sticker that says "My kid knocked up your honor student" :)

• Members

I have worked for ten years as translator at the Texas Hill Country MHMR.

MHMR, of course, means, "mental health, mental retardation". Pretty straightforward, for that's whom they treat. "MHMR" is the acronym seen on the sign from the road as you drive in. Some citizens driving by will know what the acronym betokens; others, not.

Earlier this year (2012), one of the counsellors there informed me that they would soon be changing their name from Hill Country MHMR.... to "Hill Country Life Guidance Center". Part of "life guidance", it turns out, includes being prescribed SSRI's and antipsychotics.

Man, have we Americans all become a bunch of "hothouse orchids", or what?

I'm pretty sure it's "euphemisms" that bookumdano was referring to in the OP, and how pretentious or mollycoddling they sound, no?

I think "robust" does have some prescribed meaning, as in a software that can play on multiple platforms. But in the 'Oughts, it was entirely used in near-meaningless contexts because it sounded so "official".

Then there are those corporate expressions, like "team player" (which, more often than not, means "Let a co-worker or superior take credit for the work you did.") and "think outside of the box" (Every corporate employee being told this knows that he had better NOT "think outside of the box" at all, for there are pre-scripted ways of performing every task which mustn't be deviated from).

• Members

They don't put it there for you- they put it there for their kid. It's a show of pride and support. It means "look kid, we're so proud of what you did, we're putting a sticker on the car." It's debatable if that's even a good idea, but they're really not doing it for you, at least in most cases.

Nowadays, one just sees first-names written on the SUV's rear window, with no further explanation, like: !!!!BRANDON!!!! !!!!KAITLYN!!!! !!!!HUNTER!!!! !!!!TEAGAN!!!!

Archived