Hey, Let's See If We Can Start a Trend!!

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Seems like we need to take this to the next level (another cliche) and come up with a totally new word, as it seems stellar has already had its place in the sun.

Any ideas? Ideally something music-oriented, but capable of being understood by non-musicians...something like "that's so DYNAMIC!!," but better.

• Moderators

Seems like we need to take this to the next level (another cliche) and come up with a totally new word, as it seems stellar has already had its place in the sun.

Any ideas? Ideally something music-oriented, but capable of being understood by non-musicians...something like "that's so
DYNAMIC!!
," but better.

Saturated? "Have you seen the Echo Park Sculpture exhibit at MoMA? Totally saturated... just blew my mind."

Overdriven? "Dude, the surf was completely overdriven this morning. Did you go out?"

Brickwall? "Did you see the 3D Imax redo of Kubrick's 2001 yet? Freaking over the top brickwall! Seriously brickwall. My nose is flat brickwall..."

All Butttons In? As in an 1176? "Saw the reformed Stooges last night and... holy f... well, let's just say it wasn't like the sorry ass Pistols debacle. All four buttons in bro."

• Moderators

Square Wave? "You little brother is a square wave! I love that kid! Sure he come with us!"

Combfilter vs. Phase Aligned? "DJ Namby is so combfiltered. Don't waste you time. If you looking for total phase alignment, as in... total... check out Pandarush at the Sub Cavern. I'm talking, phase aligned dude. You will lose your mind in his beats."

• Members

Stella... my favorite beer.

I was hanging out with Dahkter/Jason from HC last night and he used "word" several times. I didn`t say anything to him but isn`t that like 10 years ago?
:lol:

I was using the word tacky 25 years ago and it finally took root. I`ll take credit for that!

Cheers,

EB

Jay is really cool. We hung out with him the last time we were in NY (2007). I don't know if I've ever said anything regularly like that, although my friend from Illinois noticed when he came out here some years ago that we described beautiful girls as "hot" all the time.

• Members

As far back as '65, in my LA suburb neighborhood, "dude" meant then what it means now. An expression of bro'hood. "Hey dude", he said with an almost imperceptible flick of his long, blonde, sun and salt water bleached hair.

I seriously don't remember the familial use of dude in OC in the 60s. Phrases like 'some dude,' yes, but usually referring to an outsider. I'll ask some of my contemporaries. Next time I'm at the old folks' home.

Speaking of 'reverse slang' (bad, sick, etc, meaning good, et al), in SoCal in the late 60s (and seemingly elsewhere), for several years straight meant you were counterculture, ie, pot and acid-friendly. (Pills, OTOH, were seen as the old, greaser load. Definitely not something a good hippie would do. There was some overlap, but the Seconal-gobbling pillheads didn't have much in common, high-wise, with the potheads and acidheads -- and the culture soon broke that way. Later the pilllheads discovered Quaaludes, progenitor of a pathetic goofiness that apparently fit their spiritual needs to a T. The last thing some spiritual quester with a head full of acid wants is to hang around with a bunch of folks who have chemically reduced their IQ to mid-double digits.)

• Members

The only trend you guys could start is something for retiree,

for example playing beatles songs in retirement homes.

Betcha I'm the only one here that's actually done that.

I was in my 30's, and I don't think trend was set.

We put a little skip in their step though. :rawk:

• Members

Betcha I'm the only one here that's actually done that.

I was in my 30's, and I don't think trend was set.

We put a little skip in their step though.
:rawk:

Time changes, when I was a young man we played Bebop, Swing and other 40ties and 50ties stuff in the retirements home for the elderly in southern California. Was fun to see them come to life again

• Members

As far back as '65, in my LA suburb neighborhood, "dude" meant then what it means now. An expression of bro'hood. "Hey dude", he said with an almost imperceptible flick of his long, blonde, sun and salt water bleached hair.

Absolutely. Depending on what inflection, of course. "Dooood...." with a downward inflection can also say, "Whoa, that's messed up..." OTOH, "Dude!", often accompanied with a high-five and/or a smile and a nodding of the head can mean that someone was bringin' the stellar.

• Members

Absolutely. Depending on what inflection, of course. "Dooood...." with a downward inflection can also say, "Whoa, that's messed up..." OTOH, "Dude!", often accompanied with a high-five and/or a smile and a nodding of the head can mean that someone was bringin' the stellar.

"I just got laid off from Burger King and now I just found out my girlfriend is pregnant."

"Dooooooood..."

"I got all 6 Lotto numbers AND the Mega!!!"

"DUDE!!!!!!"

"I don't care if I'm drunk, I'm gonna drive home..."

"Dude?!?!"

"So what if it's my birthday, I don't mind paying the check."

"Dude."

• Moderators

"I just got laid off from Burger King and now I just found out my girlfriend is pregnant."

"Dooooooood..."

"I got all 6 Lotto numbers AND the Mega!!!"

"DUDE!!!!!!"

"I don't care if I'm drunk, I'm gonna drive home..."

"Dude?!?!"

"So what if it's my birthday, I don't mind paying the check."

"Dude."

Awesome usage tips, dude. :)

• Members

Speaking of worn out phrases, is it just me, or is "sea change" now starting to overtake "game-changer"?

Let's try to be a little more proactive this time.

And "puh-leeze" is another played out word/phrase.

Killer...

Archived