Tips for taking great guitar photos. Examples of gorgeous guitar pictures.

PancakeBunny

• Members

I think one of the most fun guitar related things to do (besides playing of course) is to take photos of beautiful guitars. I have a shit camera and not a whole lot of talent but I still love taking pics of gorgeous gits.

This guy (whom I have no association with whatsoever) has the right idea in his craigslist ad.

http://detroit.craigslist.org/mcb/msg/2426717875.html

I think great pics are essential if you want to sell a high end guitar in a down market. Those pics make that guitar absolutely drool worthy. I don't care for PRS guitars but I'd still take out a mortgage for that thing. I wouldn't have nearly the same reaction if it was some shitty phone pic.

Here are a few that I took.

am312g.jpg

25u0dv9.jpg

33nw8bp.jpg (I think this pic is pretty badass)

2qv4j8m.jpg

j7unps.jpg

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Tip for photography in general - needs more light!

Even a {censored}ty camera can take a decent photo if theres enough light - thats why outdoor pics generally look better than indoor ones, because of all the delicious natural light bouncing around.

Want more light indoors? Stick the camera on a tripod and use a slow shutter speed (of a few seconds) to absorb much more light than usual. You wont even need a flash.

Also: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rule_of_thirds

Congratulations - you now have a degree in design!

• Members

Tip for photography in general - needs more light!

Even a {censored}ty camera can take a decent photo if theres enough light - thats why outdoor pics generally look better than indoor ones, because of all the delicious natural light bouncing around.

Want more light indoors? Stick the camera on a tripod and use a slow shutter speed (of a few seconds) to absorb much more light than usual. You wont even need a flash.

Also:

Congratulations - you now have a degree in design!

exactly, lots of light and a steady hand.

• Members

My favorite photographer here is GreatDane (I don't think I'm the only one). It doesn't hurt that his "subjects" are rather gorgeous but he has a way of capturing his guitars that draws us to the pic and feels near and real (for lack of a better way to say it). I think it's more than just a good camera. His pics are never distorted in spite of apparent proximity. And, unlike me, he is mindful of dusting his guitars beforehand. :)

• Members

... and PLEASE, don't abuse the photoshop! Goof off with a bit of brightness, contrast, maybe a little enhancement and they will all help a good photo but not correct a bad one. Some guys here even change the guitar's color when they post pictures of it. Jeez, if you're ashamed of that ugly clownburst, you should have bought another damn color!

:lol:

Here's one of mine. Too much light coming through that window.

yammi2.jpg

• Members

don't forget yourself Mario Speedwagon, i'd put your pics up with anyones here, and like GD they are great subjects.

Absolutely this. I came in this thread specifically to mention Mario. He recently gave me some pointers, and I've spent the last 4 days straight going out every day shooting pictures. I feel like I've learned more in a week from the stuff Mario told me than I ever picked up the rest of my lifetime. My pics are coming out much better.

• Members

Have you guys checked out MikeSF's photo website? Mike is even more busy with photography than music these days. He's just as awesome as a photographer as he is as a musician (that's saying something).

Check this out. There are guitar pics there too:
http://mikeoria.zenfolio.com/

This guy is a terrific photographer. I watched the whole thing. Just superb pictures....

:)

• Members

I gotta agree on the tripod and timer method - if you're taking pics of gear often, invest in a cheap tripod. Turn the flash off and set a timer. Make sure you're not in the reflections. Even cheap point and shoot digital cameras can take excellent close up pics with this method.

These are from a cheap 3MP camera:

p17.jpg?t=1258391550

p5.jpg

• Members

^^^ I like very much how you take your pics, BN and how you surround your guitars. The "faux orange peel" (reflection) on this one is very interesting.
:)

Thanks!

That's the reflection of the ceiling, that has a rough texture to it.

Archived