Hellow Dali - HN-RD-GD - I'm Salvador Gumby Damn It!

GAS Man

• Members

persistence.jpg

EddieMurphy-Gumby.jpg

salvador-dali.jpg

In my "name my new ordered guitar" thread http://acapella.harmony-central.com/showthread.php?2813767-I-think-my-new-ordered-guitar-WILL-be-named.-It-shall-be-quot-Salvador-quot-%28as-in-Dali%29%28RD%29&highlight=, it became apparent that this guitar's shape was inspired both by Salvador Dali and Gumby, so its full name will have to be Salvador Gumby, (thanks to the contributors) but I still need to decide on its short name. ;)

This was the MF SDOTD, one of the most trying ordeals I've had with MF (charging the wrong card, almost causing me to lose the deal when they reversed that charge, and then not properly coding the MF card to get the 12mo. 0% promo- 3 calls later, maybe that's fixed), but it's finally here!

IMG_0135.jpg

IMG_0140.jpg

IMG_0138-1.jpg

IMG_0139.jpg

Initial Impressions -

It's a deep growly guitar.

It seemed to want to jump right into deep but very vibey growly tones. Probably more like a Labrador than a Rottweiler. The BB Pros throw in a lot of vibe, but with this guitar you can then hear the thick mahogany body pulling the BB Pro tone deep into the guts of this guitar without the Gibson benefit of a maple cap preserving a crisp snap to the top end of the tone. The E and maybe the A strings aren't as vibey when fretted as the rest of the guitar until you dig in harder. Their tones seem to go deeper into the well, but it seems to make a fairly nice palette of tones across the strings. Definitely in the category of SG tones but with a bit deeper growl with very little Fender-ish overtones. I'd say this guitar is a rocker without too much desire to be polite. It's definitely in the Gibson Explorer tone realm, with the hot rod PAF tone and a bit less awkward to play seated and very nicely balanced.

Well, that's tonight. I'll have to see what I think of it by tomorrow.

Hey, check out the asshole who jumped in here ruining this shot. :mad:

IMG_0137.jpg

• Members

Nice!

I actually got mine yesterday. After playing it all afternoon I decided that it wasn't a good fit for me. Beautiful guitar. But it just didn't agree with me. Mine is on it's way back to MF for a refund. Whoever they resell it to will get a really nice guitar.

I hope yours works out for you. HNGD!

• Members

In my "name my new ordered guitar" thread
http://acapella.harmony-central.com/showthread.php?2813767-I-think-my-new-ordered-guitar-WILL-be-named.-It-shall-be-quot-Salvador-quot-%28as-in-Dali%29%28RD%29&highlight=
, it became apparent that this guitar's shape was inspired both by Salvador Dali and Gumby, so its full name will have to be Salvador Gumby, (thanks to the contributors) but I still need to decide on its short name.
;)

How about "Salby" or "Gumdali"? :cop:

Either way, grats on the new Gibby. I have mixed emotions about that model but every time I see one the more I kind of like it.

• Members

Nice!

I actually got mine yesterday. After playing it all afternoon I decided that it wasn't a good fit for me. Beautiful guitar. But it just didn't agree with me. Mine is on it's way back to MF for a refund. Whoever they resell it to will get a really nice guitar.

I hope yours works out for you. HNGD!

Cool. What were your specific issues with yours (oh and did you get the ebony also or score the brief shot at the trans amber SDOTD?)?

I can see where it wouldn't be everyone's cup of tea. As I was getting at above, it doesn't seem to have as much range as like a Les Paul, but compared to an Explorer, I think I like this one better. But feel free to add your negative impressions as well. This is a forum. ;):thu:

• Members

I don't have a name but I do have a word: Congrats! :):thu:

At the start of the "gumby-Dali" description, I expected something ugly-ish (like one of those drooping mis-shaped headstock) so I was most surprised to scroll down and see a beautiful guitar.

• Members

Thanks. It just struck me as I was ordering this git that it had that distorted melted droopy look that reminded me of that mad Spaniard. And thanks. It is sort of one of those "beautiful in its simplicity" type of designs. Straight forward but with a bit of avant-garde flair.

• Members

i had that exact guitar in my shopping cart.. a dozen times. couldnt pull the trigger, even at the ridiculously low price.

Looks nice, i actually dig it.. its different. how does it sound compared to, say, a les paul standard w/ same humbuckers?

oh and HNGD!

• Members

HNGD! Love the RD! I was GASing for one pretty badly back in 2003 or 2004. By the time they reissued it, the GAS was gone.
:idk:
It's beautiful nonetheless.

It's been a big week for Gibson NGDs around here for sure.

Thanks. I guess it's quite a different guitar now. Different woods, electronics and scale length (things that piss off the purists) but I figure Gibson must have thought a bit about what worked and what didn't. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gibson_RD

Now nothing much of the RD is left except for the shape. But I guess that's still the draw (at least it was for me) :o

• Members

Thanks. I guess it's quite a different guitar now. Different woods, electronics and scale length (things that piss off the purists) but I figure Gibson must have thought a bit about what worked and what didn't.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gibson_RD

Now nothing much of the RD is left except for the shape. But I guess that's still the draw (at least it was for me)
:o

Yeah, I really wanted an RD Artist in sunburst. I've played a '70s RD bass, but never the guitar. If they offered the new RDs in sunburst, I probably would have bit.

Enjoy!

• Members

i had that exact guitar in my shopping cart.. a dozen times. couldnt pull the trigger, even at the ridiculously low price.

Looks nice, i actually dig it.. its different. how does it sound compared to, say, a les paul standard w/ same humbuckers?

oh and HNGD!

Comparing it to my mental extrapolation to a Gibson LP with BB Pros, I'd say it just doesn't have that top end snap. With the maple cap Les Pauls have that extra bit of hard knocking percussive tone to some of their midrange notes, and with this one it is a bit softer, a bit deeper, and a tad bit darker (i.e less snappy and bright). I think you'd get the same sound if you put BB Pros into an Explorer. Think of the Diablo SG you had and then imagine that just being a bit deeper and a tad bit darker sounding but also a bit more aggressive with the Alnico V version of the BBs

• Members

Yeah, I really wanted an RD Artist in sunburst. I've played a '70s RD bass, but never the guitar. If they offered the new RDs in sunburst, I probably would have bit.

Enjoy!

Thanks,

I damn near blew the deal entirely when the more natural looking amber model appeared the very next day on MF's SDOTD. I had placed the order for the ebony the day before but it hadn't shipped yet.

The next morning at 7am I saw the new deal for the more retro color I really wanted :eek:, then I called up to cancel the order for my ebony (done) then as I was ordering the amber on the phone, they suddenly ran out of stock :eek:. So I asked her if she could un-cancel my last order for the ebony. Well all she could do was put through another new order. Even though the RD ebony was now on back order, she said she could see about pushing it through. Later that day I saw she screwed up and instead of placing it again on my MF card for free financing for 1 year, she slapped it on an old credit card of mine that they had on file putting it over limit. :rolleyes:. So I called back to let them know she screwed up, so once again they had to cancel an order and put in another new order. At that time I was told it was back ordered and they thought I might eventually get one in :(. But surprise, it shipped at the end of the day even though it was reported to me as "now back-ordered". But then they also screwed up and didn't give me the 0% for one year, so I'm still working to get them to correct that. (always print out the promo offer from them when you buy from them because this has happened to me before twice - but it does usually get resolved after enough calls)

But long story short, I too was hoping for a different color - i.e. this one

DV016_Jpg_Large_430810.245_trans_amber_R

Oh, and here's your pick

1980%20Gibson%20RD%20Artist%20010%20copy

But I do still think the ebony is sweet looking, but agree that the more retro finishes are a bit more fitting on an RD. ;)

• Members

Sweet score Gas'r, but c'mon janglier than a Rick 360???

Big congrats, and
I can't wait to see what you get next week
.:poke:

Still trying to exercise self control. I'm running out of financial and space capacity so I'll need to give up my GAS'r crown soon.

In some ways I'm doing better.

I did manage (so far) to avoid this little demon temptation for $199

DV016_Jpg_Large_H25343.005.001_red_black

I mean, dang, black hardware on a Dano? That was dern near enough for me to lose it right there. Luckily I have a rather similar '56 Pro Dano and I often can restrain if the difference is merely color.

But it seems like as I'm trying to get a grip, lately the vendors are upping the ante a bit with more enticing deals. It seemed like for a while they were keeping inventories lower so they wouldn't have to dump as much gear, but now it seems like the deals have been sweetening up again.

I hate to think how much owning a PC has cost me over the years. They should all come with a warning that PCs and interwebs browsing can lead to profligate consumerism. :eek:

:wave:

Archived