Who are the really good players on this forum who go "under the radar"?

Jkater

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I'm just messing with billy because he constantly gives me static about being a Rose fan. No harm intended.

And fwiw, I think this thread was a great idea. It's great to know that people actually check out fellow forumite's stuff.

I have no issue with you either mate, just stirring the pot. Your mate plays well too. Too many people are way to serious around here. Life is too short not to have fun.

Personally, I love it when people have a go at me.

• Members

I have no issue with you either mate, just stirring the pot. Your mate plays well too. Too many people are way to serious around here. Life is too short not to have fun.

Personally, I love it when people have a go at me.

agree 1000%

i'm a bit too serious at times:facepalm:

• Members

I find it impossible to compare playing ability, and I am not sure it is always the most important trait for a guitarist, although it is necessary to be good enough. More significantly, JKater and Mistersully are very generous in sharing stuff and trying out ideas, which is probably more significant.

Many really 'great' players, according to popular opinion, I can't listen to for more than a few seconds.

On the other hand, the ability to write and record/perform songs that I enjoy or move me in some way is much more significant for me. Not yet mentioned in this respect, and the one person who has impressed me most with his songwriting on HCEG is mrbrown49.

• Members

Indeed! I'm sure a lot of people on this board have not heard his playing. Terrific chops.

Many of my favorite players in HCEG: MHUK, JJ, Frets, MrSully, GreatDane and others are well known here (I reckon) but who knows? Maybe they still fly under some folks' radar.

A most excellent thread is
JJ's EPIC thread: "I want to hear you play".
It should be made a sticky as it provides a great place to check out people's (audible) stuff.

thank you for the mention, Jkater! you are TOO kind.

• Members

I agree, Riffy is quite the monster, but I don't think of him as under the radar. Quite the contrary, I think all of the feedback here proves he's on a lot of folks' radar!

I really enjoy twotimingpete's playing. He doesn't seem to be a virtuoso from his clips, but I really like his style, and he's a good songwriter too.

References:

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/showthread.php?2783663

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/showthread.php?2697176

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/showthread.php?2649403

• Members
On the other hand, the ability to write and record/perform songs that I enjoy or move me in some way is much more significant for me. Not yet mentioned in this respect, and the one person who has impressed me most with his songwriting on HCEG is
mrbrown49

:eek: How could I forget to mention mrbrown49? Not only a fine player/composer/singer but someone who has been very supportive and kind to me on this board.

Check out this: http://acapella.harmony-central.com/showthread.php?2680956-Another-one-to-share.

• Members
im sure there are a bunch of good players who fly way under the radar..

Mark UK... is amazing.. kinda wish he would post up some stuff more often..

David MGT.. another cat who really seems to have a bunch of creative stuff going..

Surrealistic..

Gravedigger something.... dont remember but the cat can play...

oh. heck... just lots and lots.. in my silly "let me hear your" links bunch of those cats seem to really have a cool groove..

Only just seen this. Thanks Scuzzo - I didn't expect a mention in this thread, especially when there's so many really good guitarists here. Cheers :)

• Members

Maltomario and Metallica_00 come to mind as do Baxandall , Aliensporebomb and IESO.

Appreciate the mention - just a hobbyist like many of us so it's always cool that people are listening! I haven't been posting clips/recording very frequently these days and to get back into the habit of doing it.

Many players on here I like - quite a few of them are in this thread!

• Members

Has anyone mentioned Mike_SF yet? What about Frets99? And RockLobster, although he's not around much these days?

yea whatever happened to rocklobster?? :???: wasnt he going to school for guitar? he has some great chops for being so young or otherwise!

• Members

I agree, Riffy is quite the monster, but I don't think of him as under the radar. Quite the contrary, I think all of the feedback here proves he's on a lot of folks' radar!

I really enjoy twotimingpete's playing. He doesn't seem to be a virtuoso from his clips, but I really like his style, and he's a good songwriter too.

References:

OH man! That is the first I have heard Pete. He is awesome!

I really ain't a monster. I might be a dwarf though...lol

• Members

I think most people around here are because the clips posts always drop like flies and rarely get past one page. I admit I'm guilty of not always listening to them, or commenting. Sorry. Though a lot of times when I do actually try it doesn't load because my computer's a POS. It's just a lot easier to look at pics of pretty guitars. Sure I'm missing out on some great guitar playing. I'll try to be better.

• Members

thanks for the mentions guys

my favourite players here don't really go under the radar... except for maybe Willyguitar who has a great sense of melody

i agree about mrbrown's songs... goos stuff

i think it was o.versteer(or whatever his name is :)) that posted a slide clip recently that i dug the hell out of

i've heard some cool music from roygbiv too

i don't consider him under the radar but if i'd love to spend some time in a studio with JJ... he's a creative dude with a tonne of soul... i'm a fan of his singing too

• Members

Do you have a link to some of Will's stuff, Dave? Thanks!

Hi Richard - I used to have some uploaded to soundclick, but stripped them all off for re-recording etc. I haven't got around to that at all yet, but could send you links to them again if you want. Have also PMed you. Actually, Mistersully is far too kind here! I sent him a cd of stuff because he was interested, but although some of the tunes are fine, I am a little bit shy about some of them... partly because the execution is somewhat lacking!!

• Members

Hi Richard - I used to have some uploaded to soundclick, but stripped them all off for re-recording etc. I haven't got around to that at all yet, but could send you links to them again if you want. Have also PMed you. Actually, Mistersully is far too kind here! I sent him a cd of stuff because he was interested, but although some of the tunes are fine, I am a little bit shy about some of them... partly because the execution is somewhat lacking!!

I'd love to hear your music. Getting props from Mrsully is quite a compliment. We're all a little underwhelmed by our own music. Nice to have a place like this board to get feedback or simply share. From what I sense of your very good insights into music from your posts, I can only imagine your music to be tasteful and worth a good listen. As far as "execution", you said it best: it's not about how acrobatic the playing is but how it moves people or speaks to them. I envy people who can arrange / produce a nice song (mrsully, cobalt, mrbrown). I hope to develop this skills at some point.

• Members

I'd love to hear your music. Getting props from Mrsully is quite a compliment. We're all a little underwhelmed by our own music. Nice to have a place like this board to get feedback or simply share. From what I sense of your very good insights into music from your posts, I can only imagine your music to be tasteful and worth a good listen. As far as "execution", you said it best: it's not about how acrobatic the playing is but how it moves people or speaks to them. I envy people who can arrange / produce a nice song (mrsully, cobalt, mrbrown). I hope to develop this skills at some point.

OK thanks Richard - I'll upload them again and PM you the link!

Yes - someone mentioned Rocklobster- he was a truly talented player. As is (he's never much here) MetalheadUK.

Archived