Post your observations of HCEG paradoxical paradigms.

GAS Man

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Frankly, I've had no problems here. I respect the majority of the opinions here and I get to learn a lot, even though I've been playing for 7 years.

Learned how to set up a guitar, shop for one, got to make some money here, learned about amps.

It's been a good experience, I hope I've brought something to the table.

There was this one guy who owes me $50, then told me 6 months later that he wasn't going to pay, and was still trying to get me to build him a partscaster (in my "I'll build you a partscaster" thread)

• Members

here's my contribution.

people going ape{censored} over $70 guitars... but then not think twice about spending $250 on a boutique pedal which contains less than $20 worth of electronics in a $10 die cast box.

or dissin' on amp modelers like the axe fx yet praise PC software like guitar rig...

Two that come to mind..

• Members

Frankly, I've had no problems here. I respect the majority of the opinions here and I get to learn a lot, even though I've been playing for 7 years.

Learned how to set up a guitar, shop for one, got to make some money here, learned about amps.

It's been a good experience, I hope I've brought something to the table.

There was this one guy who owes me $50, then told me 6 months later that he wasn't going to pay, and was still trying to get me to build him a partscaster (in my "I'll build you a partscaster" thread)

Name and shame, that's not good enough.

• Members

Counterfeit guitars are not cool.

"Replica" guitars are cool.

EG

There is a difference between the two tho- Counterfeits are designed to scam people and often care about appearance over quality to achieve this, whereas replicas try to mimic somthing usually more expensive at a lower price point :cop:

• Members
Yeah but are your favourite ones the more expensive ones? If so, you are WRONG and a horrible person to boot!
:cop:

No. I tend to baby my most expensive guitars (which is twisted I know). Like right now (and lately) I've been rediscovering my ash-bodied MIM Fender Nashville Tele. I didn't like it much at all when I first got it. But a couple months or so ago, I finally got it back out, took the sick looking white center pickup cover out, replaced it with a black cover to match the bridge, most importantly - put a new set of pure nickel wound 9-46 strings on it, and now I'm loving it. Hell, I had that guitar slated to be one of my future dispositions, but now we're finally bonding a few years later. I was also planning on dumping my Roland 20X, but today I took my Roland MicroCube off my desk and squeezed that 20X up there. At closer to head level, I'm now also enjoying that amp again too. I really do get off on different tones and for a while now, I've really been more into playing with smaller amps, like 10" speaker amps or even 8's. They seem more vocal to me now. Before I was going more for the big resonant tones. I think that's a big part of my GAS problem, I really do like the different voices. I think it's "transference". I'm in a monogamous relationship, so now I can only be a whore with the different shapes and voices of gear.

• Members

No. I tend to baby my most expensive guitars (which is twisted I know). Like right now (and lately) I've been rediscovering my ash-bodied MIM Fender Nashville Tele. I didn't like it much at all when I first got it. But a couple months or so ago, I finally got it back out, took the sick looking white center pickup cover out, replaced it with a black cover to match the bridge, most importantly - put a new set of pure nickel wound 9-46 strings on it, and now I'm loving it. Hell, I had that guitar slated to be one of my future dispositions, but now we're finally bonding a few years later. I was also planning on dumping my Roland 20X, but today I took my Roland MicroCube off my desk and squeezed that 20X up there. At closer to head level, I'm now also enjoying that amp again too. I really do get off on different tones and for a while now, I've really been more into playing with smaller amps, like 10" speaker amps or even 8's. They seem more vocal to me now. Before I was going more for the big resonant tones. I think that's a big part of my GAS problem, I really do like the different voices. I think it's "transference". I'm in a monogamous relationship, so now I can only be a whore with the different shapes and voices of gear.

You realise I was joking yeah? :poke:

The funny thing is that tone and music in general is so amazingly subjective, its super hard to write something off as plain "bad". "Different", or "not for me" maybe, but one mans trash is anothers treasure so to speak :idk:

The cube 20x is a pretty great amp btw- my go to amp when testing out guitars in stores. I always get funny looks from staff when I ask to try out expensive guitars through that amp :thu: My theory is that if I cant make it sound good through a cube then it wont sound good through anything else...

But at the end of the day, why do people seem to care so much about what other people play? :confused:

Is it really necessary to paint everyone who buys a guitar that costs more than $300, or who likes a certain brand *cough* Gibson *cough* as a brainwashed idiot who pays too much for the name brand? Other peoples personal taste in gear doesnt seem to offend me... :idk:

• Members

The funny thing is that tone and music in general is so amazingly subjective, its super hard to write something off as plain "bad". "Different", or "not for me" maybe, but one mans trash is anothers treasure so to speak
:idk:
The cube 20x is a pretty great amp btw- my go to amp when testing out guitars in stores. I always get funny looks from staff when I ask to try out expensive guitars through that amp
:thu:
My theory is that if I cant make it sound good through a cube then it wont sound good through anything else...

But at the end of the day, why do people seem to care so much about what other people play?
:confused:
Is it really necessary to paint everyone who buys a guitar that costs more than $300, or who likes a
certain
brand
*cough*
Gibson
*cough*
as a brainwashed idiot who pays too much for the name brand? Other peoples personal taste in gear doesnt seem to offend me...
:idk:

Indeed. Since I've enjoyed things as humble as a $60 Artisan Lap Steel or a $99.95 Fender Squier, I can see all sides.

I must admit that I get confused over some peoples' compulsions toward Xaviere's, Rondo guitars or bottom line Jay Tursers, but that's only because I personally prefer entry level Fenders (Squiers) and Gibson (Epiphones). But my own paradox there is that I don't have a issue with guitars at that price point, I just have more trust or value in some of the other lines for inexpensive guitars. I recently bought my first SX used off of ebay, and damned if that damn thing didn't turn out to have a bum neck on it. A friend of mine bought one years ago and it was sonically dead, so I'm a bit leery of "off brands". But that doesn't necessarily make any sense on a higher level of rationale since they do all come from somewhat similar sources. It's just kinda like you were saying "personal taste".

With Gibsons, I had some fairly bad luck with my first 3 (a 1983, 1990 & a 1994). They weren't all that great for tone, but then I started having good luck with getting very good tone from them which made me a bit of a Gibson junkie. I like the way they feel too. I'm just recently going back into a bit of a Fender mode again. For a while there, I was pretty solely getting into chimey sounding PAF style p'ups and P-90 guitars.

• Members

people who own every conceivable example of a guitar then are the first ones to bitch when a new one comes out that's slightly different because they are not made like they used to.

Yes. Is it because it distracts from the worship of vintage materials or because it could be inferred to attack some of the myths upon which they became so collectible :confused:

Bottom line, I think it comes down to tone and feel, not the spec sheet.

I'm waiting for my second baked maple to arrive.

My only question about it is, "with baked maple, should you therefore used partially cook bacon to condition the board?"

INCOMING !

127810512-front-l.jpg

127810512-detail1-l.jpg

Personally, I wouldn't mind a RainSong guitar either. ;)

Archived