Post your observations of HCEG paradoxical paradigms.

GAS Man

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I'm having trouble understanding how cheap gear and pentatonic scales are related

Okay, maybe a bit of a reach. But here's the connection. Pentatonic scales are the basis for most blues and blues based rock. Yet it's often dissed here. Sure Allan Holdsworth is way beyond that.. But yet the predominant love here is for "student grade" guitars. :confused:

• Members

I like this guy. He speaks the TRUTH.

HCEG could be great except the same dickheads who "overpost" day after day with the same bull{censored}, destroy it for everyone else.

I don't think it's the "overposters" as much as it is the people who scam people in the trade thread or start fights for no reason.

• Members

We call ourselves a
community
yet we (well, some) are more ready to diss and fight than create a healthy discussion and environment...

Hasn't always been that way around here. I remember the days of building guitars from parts for people in need... Those were fun days here on the board...

• Members

How is 2 different people holding different opinions a paradox?

This.

The fact is, a bunch of different people with varying views post on HC. Sometimes a single person holds inconsistent views, but what were really seeing here, and as exemplified by the OP, is the tendency for people to favor information that confirms their preconceptions, i.e., confirmation bias. If you think HC is a bunch of cheap-guitar-loving-cork-sniffers, you will claim victory with each confirmation, even if these moments are few and far between.

• Members

Some of the more oddball ones....

Some people look down on those who use effects pedals because they are ruining their amps tone.... yet they play solid state modelling amps.

People complain about Gibson, yet as soon as Gibson releases a moderately priced model, even with questionable fretboard material, everyone is scrambling to buy one.

People talk about not playing the name on the headstock, yet some of the BEST used deals on the market on truly high end gear remain ignored and people still buy Fender/Gibson.

• Members

Hasn't always been that way around here. I remember the days of building guitars from parts for people in need... Those were fun days here on the board...

Yeah. Hopefully the glory days will come back one day. It wasn't too long ago...

• Members

Champagne taste on a beer budget?

CAVA.

(And some of the better cavas are far nicer than the mediocre champagnes.

(Trust me on this.)

Classic HCEG paradox: Toanz iz in da fingaz/every single detail of your gear set-up, no matter how seemingly trivial, is absolutely crucial.

• Members

This.

The fact is, a bunch of different people with varying views post on HC. Sometimes a single person holds inconsistent views, but what were really seeing here, and as exemplified by the OP, is the tendency for people to favor information that confirms their preconceptions, i.e., confirmation bias. If you think HC is a bunch of cheap-guitar-loving-cork-sniffers, you will claim victory with each confirmation, even if these moments are few and far between.

I think that maybe misses the intent "by the OP". It's merely for those who have been here and enjoyed HCEG for some time to have some fun with the paradoxes found within the commonly espoused philosophies. I have guitars ranging from $99 up to 3 Custom Shop models so I couldn't claim victory over such things. But I am an unabashed minor pentatonic wanker. ;)

• Members

It's not. I was referring more to the commonly held mantras of the collective forum. Such as the one csm mentioned above.

I think that maybe misses the intent "by the OP". It's merely for those who have been here
and enjoyed
HCEG for some time to have some fun with the paradoxes found within the commonly espoused philosophies. I have guitars ranging from $99 up to 3 Custom Shop models so I couldn't claim victory over such things. But I am an unabashed minor pentatonic wanker.
;)

Would "There are several commonly held mantras." count as an example of a paradoxical paradigm in the context of this thread?

• Members

Okay, maybe a bit of a reach. But here's the connection. Pentatonic scales are the basis for most blues and blues based rock. Yet it's often dissed here. Sure Allan Holdsworth is way beyond that.. But yet the predominant love here is for "student grade" guitars.
:confused:

I still have no idea how you think blues scales are related to "student grade" guitars. I've never seen hate for the pentatonic here. Around here people love all kinds of music, as long as it's at least 3 decades old.

Archived