Where Have All The Music Theatrics Gone

WRGKMC

• Members

Anybody ever see the Tubes in their heyday?

saw the tubes in 70's in phoenix at the clebrity theatre - that's the kind of show that stays in your memory :thu:. saw zappa there, too.

todd rundgren/utopia did great shows, too - saw them with black oak arkansas, another band that had a `highly energetic' performance. i always tell the kids, if you want to know where david lee roth got his schtick from just check out a little jim dandy mangrum fronting black oak :)...

• Members

I always considered over-the-top stage theatrics along the same lines as continually whipping off 64th note triplets: wankery

It'll grab attention for a minute at most, then people will return to shouting over the music to talk about their new video game or who said what to who and when and what the hell were they thinking when they said that?

If the music is compelling, it'll do all that's needed to rivet attention.

• Members
saw the tubes in 70's in phoenix at the clebrity theatre - that's the kind of show that stays in your memory
:thu:
. saw zappa there, too.

todd rundgren/utopia did great shows, too - saw them with black oak arkansas, another band that had a `highly energetic' performance. i always tell the kids, if you want to know where david lee roth got his schtick from just check out a little jim dandy mangrum fronting black oak
:)

I am so glad to hear someone else make the Jim Dandy-D.L. Roth connection. I thought that within minutes of a striped spandex clad Van Halen (the whole band was wearing lyrca or spandex) in 1976 or so when I saw them. I'd seen BOA a handful of times (you couldn't get out of the venues and then come back in) so I knew his schtick well. I had heard a good buzz about VH -- and was looking forward to seeing them -- but I ended up utterly hating them. (I was shocked several years later to find that I didn't hate their first album. EVH had moved beyond the boxy tweedlefest grinding he did on stage, and, weirder still, some of the lyrics weren't half bad. I never really warmed up to them much after that, but I thought the first album had some real merit.)

• Members

Musicians lament the state of live music while simultaneously considering themselves too cool to put on a real show. I fully understand the anti-theatrics backlash that took place in the early 90s following the hair-band era, but it isn't simply a coincidence that the popularity of live music has been on a steady decline since. It's been 20 years now. Time to start moving things back in the other direction. It seems the most successful touring artists are those willing to put a lot of attention to the showmanship aspect of what they do. That same mentality needs to once again be applied to all levels of live music performance.

Musicians need to get over themselves and get back to wanting to put on a show if they want people to come see them perform live. Obviously their awezome skillz alone aren't enough anymore.

• Members

Sorry couldn't resist LOL I think a big part of it is that after the excess of the 80's, when musos look back today and see how cheezy it looks now, they are hesitant to do anything that flamboyant, and want to go to the opposite extreme to avoid it...

Then the problem here is that they are looking back instead of looking forward. Just because one might be flamboyant doesn't mean they have to go out dressed like Poison. Obviously it needs to be done in a MODERN style, not something old and dated. If young kids are spending much time at ALL looking back at 30 year old hair-band videos, then the music industry has a lot more problems then simply whether bands should be worried about looking cheezy or not.

• Members

One band that I have been really meaning to see mainly based on stage performance is the The Flaming Lips, of course they're great on top of it. From the things I've heard from people and video footage, seems like they put on a hell of show.

The most recent theatrical thing, I've seen was Puscifer. A Maynard G Krebs band.

It started on the street waiting to get in, Maynard was walkin around in a disguise as bible thumper heckling the crowd, and then opened as Baptist Revival bit on stage, then they transformed the stage into living room complete with couches, recliners, all kinds flatscreen TV's, and a crazy multimedia mess. It seemed more like a play than a music concert.

• Moderators

Some of you may know of Mojo Nixon. He was part of the same scene I was in the 80's in San Diego. He did minimalist yet over the top theatrics. He was great. He'd start his show with his song Mushroom Maniac. The lights would go down and from the back of the house you'd hear a strange Bo Diddley beat. And he's shout at the top of his lungs, MUSHROOM!!!............ MANIAC!!!! The beat was coming from him pound a 5 gallon water bottle on the floor and walls and his head. He'd make his way up to the stage where Skip Roper would join him on Dobro, Washboard, Mandolin. As the show progressed he got drunker and drunker and frankly, funnier and funnier.

A very funny, cool, cool guy. Over the top theatrics with almost nothing.

Archived