What's your favorite distortion pedal.And why.

Baddass

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Mine is an old rat pedal I bought about 20 years ago for 25 bucks.My second fav is those old roadkill pedal's that Guitar center sold back in the 90's.Sound great thru any amp I play.:i

The Rat is a great pedal.

I'm really digging the seymour duncan twin tube classic pedal I just bought. Not really a "distortion" pedal, but it can get pretty heavy on the "gain" channel.

http://soundcloud.com/wagdog-1/twintubechordsandnotes

• Members

"Distortion" Audio Source Classic Distortion

"OD" Seymour Duncan Twin Tube Blue

Oh yeah, why?

Well to be honest I got them both at a very good price, it just so happens they both do exactly what I want...they kickass.

The housing for the Audio Source sucks, but is sounds so dam good + it's very versatile...do not pay $99...I found a new one on eBay for $50 shipped.

• Members

Currently on my live board are a modded TS9, a Fulltone Fulldrive, a Blakemore Electronics Bipolar Octadriver, a Blakemore Electronics Deus Ex Machina, and a Black Arts Black Forest.

The TS9 is used for a boost. I run it with the drive all the way down.

The Black Arts Black Forest is used as a medium drive. It is a Colorsound Overdriver clone.... Kind of.

The Blakemore Octadriver is used for leads with the octave setting, and is another medium drive that blends well with the Black Forest and the Deus Ex Machina. It's based on the Way Huge Red Llama and the octave setting is reminiscent of that on the old Foxx Fuzz. It comps my longtime favorite Ross Distortion's tone easily.

The Deus Ex Machina is a Big Muff clone with a clean blend. It's my all out gain pedal. Plus it blends well with my other dirt pedals.

The Fulltone Fulldrive I use is one of the old ones. It's not a MOSFET version. It just adds a bit of "more" to my signal. It also is indispensable for a couple of my songs.

• Members

Never seen this pedal get much love, but I have been through a bunch and this one delivers for me...

DF7top.png?1298646146

http://digitech.com/en-US/products/df-7-distortion-factory

Oddly enough, I only use one of the pedal models... I guess I could look up and see which model I like and get the "real thing", but why mess with success?

This + the clean channel on my Marshall TSL = heaven.

• Members

care to expand on your comment? i'm always interested in what pedals "amp distortion guys" have played, and how that influenced them to reach their decision. also, do you use any kind of boost pedal for solos?

I haven't played a lot of the boutique pedals out there. I might feel differently if I had, who knows? I tried a Jetter Red...nice pedal, but not worth the coin IMO.

I like the Boss Blues Driver. Haven't tried one with the Keeley mod, I'd like to. The MXR Classic Distortion is nice...I have the one that was blown out for $29 on Black Friday a few years back. I think it's a Distortion III with a repainted case, IIRC.

Boost: I used a Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster for awhile, works good. Nowadays, I set the volume knobs on my LP around 7.5. I turn it up to 10 for a little boost.

• Members

Generally I go with amp distortion since I got my TA-15. It doesn't get very high gain but good enough for me. For a boost/OD of a clean channel I still use a Danelecto TOD V1. Doesn't get the use it once did on the V-18 but still gets regular use.

My fav though is my B.A.T Pharaoh Fuzz. Just all kinds of win in that box! :thu:

• Members

I have a Keeley modded Boss DS-1 (SEM mod) that I've tried to kick off my board for years but it always creeps back.

Other dirt boxes on my board are Wampler Triple Wreck, M.I. Audio Blues Pro, Barber LTD and an old MJM Foxey Fuzz.

• Members

For pure modern (boosted JCM800 and newer) Marshall tones, I'd lean towards the Direct Drive but I feel it fails on low gain, 18W to Bluesbreaker type breakup tones.

Good analysis, the DD can't seem to get the vintage crunch tones that well, but it does a killer saturated/semi-modern Marshall.

You mentioned the Dumble style pedals; interesting observation on the single coil vs HB thing...I had played a Fuchs Plush Drive and the exact same observation. Couldn't get much going on with a Strat, but did exactly what I wanted with HBs. I wonder how the actual Zen fares. I always think I'm gonna buy a Zen and I never end up doing it...just living in Barber complacency!

• Members

Always loved the tubescreamer. I guess it sounded "real" to me back in the day, more than other "distortion boxes" I've owned tons of screamer variants. Analogman, Keeley, SRB808 handmade clones, etc... My current favorite is the Way Huge Green Rhino MKII. I sold ALL of my other tubescreamer variants once I got it. They did that box right!:thu: My second favorite is my DiceWorks Muff Diver FINALE fuzz. It has the three mod switches for "Pete Cornish" mods, etc... No other muff of fuzz I've had has this much "mojo".

Archived