What's your favorite distortion pedal.And why.

Baddass

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Good analysis, the DD can't seem to get the vintage crunch tones that well, but it does a killer saturated/semi-modern Marshall.

You mentioned the Dumble style pedals; interesting observation on the single coil vs HB thing...I had played a Fuchs Plush Drive and the exact same observation. Couldn't get much going on with a Strat, but did exactly what I wanted with HBs. I wonder how the actual Zen fares. I always think I'm gonna buy a Zen and I never end up doing it...just living in Barber complacency!

Just to throw out there, there are several guys making Zendrive clones. They usually go for about $50 - $75 or so and if you were to buy one used, you would probably only lose shipping. I've played a couple Zendrives, but not in my own rig so, while I think I'd really like them, it's hard to truly compare. I have one on the way and will report what I think about it once I get to know it. I've been getting into humbuckers again after being pretty much 90% single coils for five years or so. I'm pretty sure I'll be able to get on with lower output HBs with maybe the pots on the guitar rolled back slightly into the Zendrive.

• Members

Just to throw out there, there are several guys making Zendrive clones. They usually go for about $50 - $75 or so and if you were to buy one used, you would probably only lose shipping. I've played a couple Zendrives, but not in my own rig so, while I think I'd really like them, it's hard to truly compare. I have one on the way and will report what I think about it once I get to know it. I've been getting into humbuckers again after being pretty much 90% single coils for five years or so. I'm pretty sure I'll be able to get on with lower output HBs with maybe the pots on the guitar rolled back slightly into the Zendrive.

Cool - will be curious to see what you think. I would probably get a used Zen if I were to get one, but it doesn't seem like the used prices have caught up the fact that there's no longer a mega wait for them and are still barely lower than new prices (the last I checked). But $50-$75 is pretty appealing to take a flier on!

• Members

I am really lovin the Marshall Guv Nor Plus pedal I just got on Saturday.

I got one of those on the BF deal, it's a pretty sweet pedal.

Currently as far as a distortion pedal goes, it's my favorite.

For OD, I'm REALLY liking my new Lovepedal OD Eleven (enough that I may sell my OCD).

• Members

I got one of those on the BF deal, it's a pretty sweet pedal.

Currently as far as a distortion pedal goes, it's my favorite.

For OD, I'm REALLY liking my new Lovepedal OD Eleven (enough that I may sell my OCD).

Me too....best $20 I've spent in a while! You can really dial in whatever you need on the pedal.

• Members

As a yute the Boss DS-1 worked well for me. I know most folks don't like it, but I enjoyed playing with it and this was before people started the modding craze.

The Randall RG-80 was my main amp and between its channel switching and the DS-1 I could cover a lot of bases. Later I got a Fender Blues DeVille 2 x 12 and a Mesa Boogie V-Twin pedal. Between the channel switching on both there's a ton of great tones to be had. I still have this set-up. But I haven't plugged it in years...I'm talking nearly a decade. I mostly play my acoustics.

• Members

These are all really good answers, and some mighty fine pedals, too.

I have to admit that I'm an "amp distortion" kinda guy, and nothing beats my 1976 100W Marshall JMP; however (there's always a "however") this is simply not practical for the wedding and corporate gigs I have. So I've taken to putting either my Boss FBM-1 or FDR-1 and Power Stack ST-2 (which is great for single coils; I only have room for the Strat and my archtop on the bandstand) in the effects loop of my GT-6. I nearly always disable the built-in preamp, cabinet, and distortion models of the GT-6 in favor of the unit's vast modulation capabilities. So I have my late-'80s Strat with newer Lace Sensors (another hated item amongst pickup purists) going into the GT-6 (with the better distortion pedals in the effects loop), and into my '73 Deluxe Reverb. For very small gigs I cannot beat the distortion on the Tech 21 Trademark 30. In fact, I may get an extension cab and use the Trademark 30 (which is really a SansAmp GT2 in an amp package, just to stay on topic) and its effects loop. I'm really happy with that thing.

The reason I mention all this is because I do in fact have things like the original Pro Co Rat (a gift from my first guitar teacher - what a gift!); Tube Screamer ('90s reissue); Catainbread's Teaser Stallion; Keely-modified DS-1, SD-1, MT-2; and an embarrassment of other pedals. They're all great, but unless my board is huge and I can tap dance through all those things at just the right time, I'm better off using one or two pedals like the Power Stack and the Bassman pedal (or the amp distortion if manageable) and the guitar's volume pot.

• Members

Figured this would be a good place to ask (HCFX is a strange place). I'm looking for a good pedal to do mostly medium and high overdrive/distortion with true bypass at or around $150, so far I dig the OCD based on what I've heard on youtube. How does the zvex distortron fare against the OCD, and are there any other pedals for that price I should consider.

• Members

Overdrive: Another happy Green Rhino Mk II customer here. Especially gorgeous with single coil pickups. Last week I used it as a preamp for my Godin 5th Avenue Kingpin going straight into the PA and it gave me this unreal clean-yet-filthy tone. Just stunning.

GreenRhinoOverdrive-11.png

Distortion: I just got it but I'm really happy with the DigiTech HardWire SC-2 Valve Distortion. It has enough output and dynamics that you can use it as a clean boost but it screams like a hot tube amp when you crank the gain. I tried it out in the store with my wife listening in and she loved its dynamics and presence. It replaced my dying Tonebone Plexitube which was nearly 2x the price.

206131.jpg

Figured this would be a good place to ask (HCFX is a strange place). I'm looking for a good pedal to do mostly medium and high overdrive/distortion with true bypass at or around $150, so far I dig the OCD based on what I've heard on youtube. How does the zvex distortron fare against the OCD, and are there any other pedals for that price I should consider.

The SC-2 retails at around $125 so that should be in your price range. If that's too much gain for you, there's also the CM-2 Overdrive, which is basically an upmarket Bad Monkey. Another great overdrive, but not as nice as the Green Rhino which retails around $120.

• Members

I just tried out the SolidgoldFX Superdrive (it's $175 though), it's great, it sounds like the amp your playing for just with lots of 70s gain. It's awesome, I can't wait to get it for xmas :D

Archived