What's your favorite distortion pedal.And why.

Baddass

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I use a Nady TD-1 ( w/ tube) and I like it even though it is a bit bass shy. I got it because i was in love with an old TO-2 I got in a pawn shop, which is still very good. ( pure Jimmy Page)

I boost and add definition with a Rocktron Austin Gold.

Recently I got a Digitech EX-7 and much as I didn't think i would , I have bonded with the Big Muff model in the pedal. Go figure.

I touch that up with the Rocktron too. ( last in chain)

Its fun to have the muff and then goose up the uni-vibe thing.

The why's for me are all about the decay. Gotta decay smoothly and not just start sputtering.

• Members

Below are my Top 13 distortion pedals:

bexp2001_big.jpg

Bixonic Expandora II

Carl%20Martin%20Heavy%20Drive.jpg

Carl Martin Heavy Drive

JDF2FuzzFaceDistortion-11.png

Dunlop Fuzzface

jh2s.jpg

Dunlop Jimi Hendrix System Classic Fuzz

bassblogger__06521_zoom.jpg

ElectroHarmonix Bass Blogger

BigMuff_700.jpg

ElectroHarmonix Big Muff

51nCNhLqS-L.jpg

Fender Blender

bizcaf.jpg

LovePedal Les Luis

maestro-fz-1-fuzz-tone-pedal-front.png

Maestro Fuzztone

91f51d622b55befd4f56cb2b373f810c.png

Pearl Distortion DS-06

...continued below

• Members

Zendrive-Photo2.jpg

into

Zendrive2-Photo3.jpg

Combined with the gain channel of my amp (and boost) this gets me into any gain territory that I need.

I went on a pedal binge a couple of years ago and my favorite was/is the xOtic BB Preamp. I mostly practice thru my Vibro Champ XD these days and I'm pleased with the overdrive tones from the XD. I saw a video of Frankie Starr on You Tube where he was comparing WCR pickups on two 335s. He was using a Zen Drive and the tone was MIGHTY good. Real sweet! Of course, Frankie is a killer player!

• Members

I actually quite like the amp distortion my JC 2112rc makes, but it's a single channel amp and I like to have clean, crunch, and crazy all available at the touch of a switch. After much youtubing (none of my local emporia had anything I liked in stock) I decided on a Blackstar HT Dual. GC had a couple used for $70 less than new, so I pulled the trigger and got one last week. Still in the honeymoon period, but very pleased so far. My target mid-80's to early 90's tones are all in that box.

• Members
    I went on a pedal binge a couple of years ago and my favorite was/is the xOtic BB Preamp. I mostly practice thru my Vibro Champ XD these days and I'm pleased with the overdrive tones from the XD. I saw a video of Frankie Starr on You Tube where he was comparing WCR pickups on two 335s. He was using a Zen Drive and the tone was MIGHTY good. Real sweet! Of course, Frankie is a killer player!

I use these mainly on the clean channel of a Shiva and the tone is beauty. I let the gain channel of the amp sing by itself.

• Members

For the better part of this last year, I've been favoring a made in Taiwan, Boss DS-1 Distortion that I picked up for 18 bucks, followed on my board with a GE-7 Equalizer.

For the brootalz, I use an MT-2 Metal Zone or an ML-2 Metal Core.

If I want to just overdrive an amp, I'll use either a DOD YJM308

Overdrive Preamp or a stock TS 9 reissue.

I'm a cheap bastard and a Boss addict!:thu:

• Members

I have:

Barber Direct Drive

Barber LTD SR

MI Audio Crunchbox

Fulltone OCD

Lovepedal Superlead

Wampler Ecstasy Drive

and a couple others.

For pure modern (boosted JCM800 and newer) Marshall tones, I'd lean towards the Direct Drive but I feel it fails on low gain, 18W to Bluesbreaker type breakup tones. The Superlead is about 90% as good as the Direct Drive for higher gain tones and is WAY better than the Direct Drive for lowest gain Marshall tones so for right now, I'd say the Superlead is my favorite but if I could only keep one, I'd stick with what I've know for the last two or three years and go for the Direct Drive.

• Members

Speaking of the Zendrive... I played a Fuchs ODS a couple years ago and was really blown away with both the low gain, singing drive and the really 3D cleans. Not wanting to quite ante up for the amp at the time, I started looking for Dumble-flavored pedals and nearly got the Zendrive but ended up getting the Wampler Ecstasy Drive. Kinda took an odd turn and I end up using the Wampler all the time on a low gain setting for the added dimension it brings to my clean tones and in all honesty, I wasn't really floored with how the lead tones sounded with single coils though it's great with HBs.

I have a Zendrive clone on the way and hopefully it will play better with single coils.

Archived