best guitar you've played!

samzadgan

• Members

No best in my book, just a lot of good ones, including the ones I own. I've often said you don't have to spend a fortune if you know what you're looking for. As far as the SG100, play before you pay. A friend had one, the action was superb and it played like butter, but like a lot of early Japanese copies I've picked up, just seemed a little dead to me.

• Members

A long time ago I had a chance to buy a second hand Gibson L5CES for $1300. They were selling for $4000 new at the time. I played the guitar but was unable to come up with the money to buy it. The L5 is still my dream guitar but they are getting more expensive.

l.jpg

• Members

Back in the 70's, I had a '63 strat that I played thru a ampeg gemini ll amp. All my gear was stolen, I was so bummed (and broke) I didn't play for 10 years. I can tell you I'm still chasing that sound - 28 guitars and seven amps later.

A lot of people are looking for that sound. That's the same rig Alex Chilton reportedly played for most of the second Big Star album. Some of the most beautiful guitar tones ever recorded.

• Members

I had a similar experiance about 20 years ago playing a '62 Strat through a Leslie, the one that's usually mated with the B-3. Amazing.

My high school buddy had a '61 Strat. He stopped playing and I was able to use it as my main instrument for several years before he came to his senses and asked for it back. That Strat was MAGIC! Notes just jumped out of it. The most musical, vibalicious guitar I ever experienced. I've owned a LOT of fine instruments but I NEVER played anything else remotely like that Strat.

• Members

Electric: Collings I-35

Runners Up: Hamer Newport, friends' 62 neck/63 body Strat (forget the exact years...its some sort of 60s pre-CBS mongrel)

Acoustic: Collings OM w/ Engelmann Spruce Top

The Collings stuff really does it for me, but I can't really afford it. It's just a great mix of modern perfection/refinement while retaining some old-school soul.

• Members

yeah I agree...he's wicked. and the dude can seriously play....

my goto guy if I lose interest in playing.

Guitars?

An acoustic that my friend The Spike picked up in a pawn shop in Ashford Kent in about 69.

Never played an acoustic that sounded so good or played so easily.

I house sat for him when he went abroad summer of 71-ish and played it night and day.

The down side - I cannot remember the maker but I think it was Japanese.

• Members

I think the most flawless electric guitar I played is the Yamaha SA2200. Not the smallest of flaw to be found. But there is more to a guitar than perfect craftmanship and a lot of guitars i tried were fabulous instrument and perfect for what they were. Like musicians, it can be moot to name one guitar over the other as the "best".

If we are talking acoustics, I have tried a number of dream guitars costing the equivalent of a slightly used small car.

• Members

My Carvin CT4.. It's amazing.

I almost bought that off you a few years ago, I bet you're glad I did it.

Yeah, my Carvin Bolt+ is the best guitar I've played. And I've played some nice stuff. Personal taste has a lot to do with it, but flawless set-up and fit and finish also factor in. Honestly, I've never played a better set up guitar, and it hasn't had a set up in about 2 years (and that was the factory setup).

• Members

About 20 years ago I had a guitar teacher who had a mid 60s trapeze bridge 335. I cant remember details about it's construction but the sound and feel of that thing was perfect in every way. If ever I was to buy in to notions of "mojo" magic guitar, that was it.

Archived