Need to choose a new used guitar!

Cliff Fiscal

• Members

Of course, I know I need to play them and see which I like best....;)

...but!

Which would you choose? based on the specs on paper...and what you know of the internet :cool:

I'm mostly looking for a dual HB guitar.....more like anything but a strat!

I currently have two HSS strat type guitars, and a triple P90 semi-hollow.

I have a few items to trade in (getting VERY good trade in values)......this is what peaks my interest and is within my $0-$1600-ish limits. (pretty specific

'07 '61 SG Reissue Standard in white

'08 Les Paul Traditional in Honey Sunburst

'96 Hamer Artist Custom in natural

'01 PRS McCarty in McCarty Sunburst

'08 PRS Mira in cherry

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

The PRS being poly would pretty much be a deal breaker for me if I couldn't play them.

Semi Hollow's aren't really my thing so the Hamer would be out. (although in terms of quality reputation I think it would be a better choice the gibsons)

So I think I'd choose between the LP and the SG. And if it were a sight unseen thing then my final choice would be the......

SG for the win.

Of course all of this is meaningless if you can ABCDE them all. Then just get the one that sounds the best.

• Members

I'd gravitate toward the McCarty. It's one of the best PRSes available, IMO. All business, no fluff.

I like that too......one piece top.....damn!

It's on hold right now, and possibly sold. :(

153272-440x295.jpg

I've heard a lot of love/hate with the PRS guitars.......some have said they look wonderful and are built amazingly well....but never jive with them? :idk:

I've only had the chance to play the SE models.

• Members

I really dig that particular LP.......refined but not too ornate.
Although, the SG is more my style.....simple...plain.

I typically shy away from fancy guitars.....mostly because I feel like I can't gig with them or have them leave my site.
More of a straight up rocker....so fancy stuff is sort of wasted on me....(plus I suck :o)

• Members

I like that too......one piece top.....damn!

It's on hold right now, and possibly sold.
:(

153272-440x295.jpg

I've heard a lot of love/hate with the PRS guitars.......some have said they look wonderful and are built amazingly well....but never jive with them?
:idk:

I've only had the chance to play the SE models.

The wraparound tail is one mark against the McCarty, IMO. But the one I played felt wonderful and sounded great. Beefier than your normal PRS, although not quite on the same ground as a good Les Paul. You should probably play one before you decide. It's not for everyone, but it is a very nice guitar.

• Members

How are the LP Traditionals and the '61 SG Reissues?

What does it mean that the '61 SG doesn't have the long tendon, in terms of long term reliability?
(I know what a long tendon is.....that's what the SG Standard has, right?)

I guess I mean, is there a benefit to one or the other?

• Members

Is this a LP Traditional Pro? if not, what's a Standard Professional?

That's a LP standard. There's no real standard pro that I'm aware of.

Edit Pretty sure the one you have pictured is a Traditional Plus. Traditional plusses have the snot green tuners and nice figured tops, traditional pro's have the Grover tuners, plain top and exposed pickup coils.

• Members

That's a LP standard. There's no real standard pro that I'm aware of.

Edit
Pretty sure the one you have pictured is a Traditional Plus. Traditional plusses have the snot green tuners and nice figured tops, traditional pro's have the Grover tuners, plain top and exposed pickup coils.

http://davesguitar.com/products/gibson/les-paul-standard-traditional-08-2/

They just have it listed as a Traditional? :idk:

I think you're right.

• Members

Yep, traditional plus. Made the old fashioned way, with a short rocker tenon and swiss cheese holes.

Seriously though, if I were to choose which LP I'd want, it'd be the traditional plus in honeyburst or a goldtop traditional pro w/p90's. Since you already have the p90's covered...

• Members

Yep, traditional plus. Made the old fashioned way, with a short rocker tenon and swiss cheese holes.

Seriously though, if I were to choose which LP I'd want, it'd be the traditional plus in honeyburst or a goldtop traditional pro w/p90's. Since you already have the p90's covered...

The short rocker tenon was the only one I didn't really understand.....it is a good thing? Looks like a lot of space in there?

tenons%20lpf.jpeg.jpg

That LP is the one that jumped out at me the most. I'm hoping it plays as well as it looks.

Archived