Need to choose a new used guitar!

Cliff Fiscal

• Members

Apparently that's just a really bad pic too. :freak:

I'm not too concerned about the mojo or whatever............I just want something that will last years and years and years.

This whole situation is my attempt at ditching gear I do not need or want, and getting my gear situation cleaned up and down to the essentials.

After this, I can forget about gear buying, selling and trading, and really focus on becoming a better guitar player and song writer.

It took a long time and was a hard lesson to learn, but after being gear focused so long......I'm sick of being a sub-par player with great gear. I'd be happy with a par player with great gear and fair song writing skills.

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Hamers are killer guitars, highly underrated IMO. My Les Paul swiftly went out the door when my Hamer Studio arrived. I would also look at PRS, since their quality control is second to none. Both brands offer much better bang-for-buck than Gibson.

• Members
The wraparound tail is one mark against the McCarty, IMO. But the one I played felt wonderful and sounded great. Beefier than your normal PRS, although not quite on the same ground as a good Les Paul. You should probably play one before you decide. It's not for everyone, but it is a very nice guitar.

If the concern with a wraparound tailpiece is lack of adjustable intonation, you can always replace it with one of these:

LPSbridge.jpg

• Members

Why is that?

The SG sure is good looking....

770409-440x297.jpg

...but so is the LP.

080380-440x299.jpg

I like that too......one piece top.....damn!

It's on hold right now, and possibly sold.
:(

153272-440x295.jpg

I've heard a lot of love/hate with the PRS guitars.......some have said they look wonderful and are built amazingly well....but never jive with them?
:idk:

I've only had the chance to play the SE models.

I just simply like nitro better than poly. The feel, the way it looks. I personally think that PRS guitars...the few I've played anyway...are quite rigid feeling and I think the poly has a part to play in that. Unless I could play it first to be sure it resonated really well...I'd pass. I'd rather take a chance on a gibson as my experience has showed me they are more lively guitars for the most part.

As for the tenon thing, I look at it this way.....What's the benefit to me as a consumer for having a short tenon? Does it provide anything superior to a long tenon? At worst it minimizes wood to wood contact area between the neck and the body, and I haven't heard of anyone that doesn't think that is an important factor in a great guitar. At best they set it in there nicely and there is no big difference. The bottom line is that it is a cost saving measure for gibson that provides me the consumer with NO benefit. Therefore I would avoid them whenever possible.

• Members

i would get either the Hamer or the PRS McCarty. $1250 for that Hamer is a steal, IMO. really, really under-rated guitars. a McCarty is on my short list of "save from burning building" guitars because it's aesthetically and sonically perfect. the wide-fat neck carve is pure heaven.

• Members

Do you think the Hamer will sound less like a LP and more like a 335 or 339?

Realistically, somewhere in between. If you're looking for more of an LP sound, you could go for a Studio which is the solid-body version. It's not quite exactly an LP sound, but in the same camp. Same price range as the Artist. Warning - usually your first Hamer will not be your last.

• Members

I have a solid-body Hamer similar to the semi-hollow Hamer in your list. It sounds and plays great. Didn't much like the body of the PRS guitars, even though they have 24 frets and split-coil switches. My own preference is for the SG: they have great sound, full access to all 22 frets, a great neck and they're not as heavy as the LP.

• Members
The short rocker tenon was the only one I didn't really understand.....it is a good thing? Looks like a lot of space in there?

tenons%20lpf.jpeg.jpg

That LP is the one that jumped out at me the most. I'm hoping it plays as well as it looks.

What is the point of the short, "rocker", tenon? How is it even stable?

• Members

I just simply like nitro better than poly. The feel, the way it looks. I personally think that PRS guitars...the few I've played anyway...are quite rigid feeling and I think the poly has a part to play in that. Unless I could play it first to be sure it resonated really well...I'd pass. I'd rather take a chance on a gibson as my experience has showed me they are more lively guitars for the most part.

You feel that poly reduces how much a guitar resonates? (serious question)

• Members

What is the point of the short, "rocker", tenon? How is it even stable?

From what I've read, it was a way for gibson to install necks quicker and to the proper angle easier.

Some say it isn't any less structurally sound.......but a lot have said the picture above is pretty exaggerated, others have said it isn't...so :idk:

I say if it plays and sounds good, who cares. :)

• Members

i would get either the Hamer or the PRS McCarty. $1250 for that Hamer is a steal, IMO. really, really under-rated guitars. a McCarty is on my short list of "save from burning building" guitars because it's aesthetically and sonically perfect. the wide-fat neck carve is pure heaven.

The McCarty is on hold right now, so I'm not getting my hopes up, but yeah, I really hope it's still there.....at least just to try.

• Members

I'll contact them and put me in line....just in case. :D

...but I won't get my hopes up. :(

153272B-440x295.jpg

this is growing on me too....

44208B-440x297.jpg

The LP Traditional is still up there.....

The '61 SG RI makes me nervous, because I read that the necks can easily be pulled out of tune.....that's how my Gibson LP Double Cutaway Faded was and I hated that.

I want something rock solid and well made for my money.

Archived