Need to choose a new used guitar!

Cliff Fiscal

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Every penny. But if you're not into the fancier look, you can pick up a regular Artist, Artist Korina, or Artist Mahogany, or Vanguard (what they were called before), for even cheaper. It was a while ago now, but I was able to find an Artist Mahogany for $650 on ebay.

And then some. Hamers were ridiculously underpriced for what they were, which is why they never joined PRS as the alternative to the big boys. I've played one or two Hamer semi-hollows and the tone is somewhere between a Les Paul and a 336. You can find some with all-mahogany bodies which mellow things out considerably.

Another big advantage with Hamers is that they came stock with Seymour Duncans (late 70's-early 80's models had DiMarzios); PRS pickups often sound too "modern" for many tastes.

Warning - usually your first Hamer will not be your last.

I have two (okay, one's a bass) and the above statement is very true, especially now that they're only a custom shop. One of my biggest regrets was not jumping on an early 80's Vector that was going for about $600.

Of the three, I'd say the Hamer's the best value.

• Members

You feel that poly reduces how much a guitar resonates? (serious question)

I think it could play a role...yes. I think finish is a minimal point compared to the wood itself. But I've played too many high end guitars like a 3000 dollar parker, and several 2k plus PRS's, where there should be no excuse for a dead piece of wood and the one thing they all had in common was that they were poly. So that's enough for me to avoid guitars like that if I were to buy sight unseen. Mainly it's those brands though. Bad experience so I wouldn't by PRS sight unseen.

Now, I have played, and I own several poly guitars that were/are great and resonant (though not as resonant as any of my nitro guitars...again another personal influence) so I know finish isn't the end all be all. But again at that level with those companies that didn't impress me in the first place, without being able to play it first, I would try avoid them.

• Members

And then some. Hamers were ridiculously underpriced for what they were, which is why they never joined PRS as the alternative to the big boys. I've played one or two Hamer semi-hollows and the tone is somewhere between a Les Paul and a 336. You can find some with all-mahogany bodies which mellow things out considerably.

Another big advantage with Hamers is that they came stock with Seymour Duncans (late 70's-early 80's models had DiMarzios); PRS pickups often sound too "modern" for many tastes.

That's what I'm considering the Hamer.....it sure seems like a lot of guitar for less.

I'm not dead set on getting that LP sound, but in the general tonal area would be nice.

Artist Custom comes with Seth Lovers. :)

• Members

FWIW, the GC used site has a few of the plainer PRS's listed, including a couple of Standard 22 models with moon inlays, like mine. One of them is less than a grand. Saw a plain mahogany McCarty, too. If you have a GC close, might be worth talking to them about a trade.

• Members

FWIW, the GC used site has a few of the plainer PRS's listed, including a couple of Standard 22 models with moon inlays, like mine. One of them is less than a grand. Saw a plain mahogany McCarty, too. If you have a GC close, might be worth talking to them about a trade.

My closest GC is 2 hours away....and I don't think they'd give me such nice trade in values. :(

• Members

Just from looking at them online the McCarty, the Hamer, and the Les Paul Traditional are the most appealing.

I've done research and all seem like a good choice......but I'm just interested in a nice solid guitar that plays and sounds well. The various details about the LP are a little concerning but not a deal breaker.

• Members

That's the thing, probably not going to find too many more like that. I don't think it's unreasonable, even with some play wear. If the neck feels as good as it looks...

These recently-listed used PRSi are from Dave's personal collection, so they're gonna be pretty cool.

Archived