How many frets do you think are ideal on a guitar neck?

grumphh

• Members

I don't really care.

I'll put on the flameproof suit and say the sweet spot node is theoretical hogwash. I'd challenge anyone to pass a double blind test to be able to hear where a neck pickup is positioned. There are just too many other factors that come into play

• Members

I don't really care.

I'll put on the flameproof suit and say the sweet spot node is theoretical hogwash. I'd challenge anyone to pass a double blind test to be able to hear where a neck pickup is positioned. There are just too many other factors that come into play

You know, i would be tempted to say the same - and i am pretty sure that there are many instances where i wouldn't be able to tell from listening alone where exactly the pickup is placed.

Not going to argue that :)

But i know from playing my own guitars that the neck pickup placement certainly makes a difference.

On my Kramer, which has a nice sounding SD singlecoil at the neck, i just can't get those deep stratty sounds - which my MIM fenders with stock pickups readily provide.

I get close, sure, but to my ears they just lack that tiny bit of depth that moving the pickup that last centimetre or two (~

• Members

On my Kramer, which has a nice sounding SD singlecoil at the neck, i just can't get those deep stratty sounds - which my MIM fenders with stock pickups readily provide.

I get close, sure, but to my ears they just lack that tiny bit of depth that moving the pickup that last centimetre or two (~

• Members

Are you sure it's not the body wood, construction, thickness, or
:idea:
the different pickups?

Absolutely positive :D

The 24 fret ibanez and the Steinberger i have, have the same thing going on - close, but no cigar. And yes, i am taking into account that they indeed are very different guitars and pickups.

But since you apparently argue that pickup placement makes no difference in tone, could you please explain to me why three identically constructed single coils on a strat do in fact sound markedly different?

...or don't they? :eek:

• Members

my main guitars all have 24 frets. i don't actually care about the extra frets. i just like where it puts the neck pickup. that node stuff become irrelevant as soon as you fret the string. with the exception of my telecaster, none of my other guitars that have fewer frets have the pickup in the "node" position.

• Members

my main guitars all have 24 frets. i don't actually care about the extra frets. i just like where it puts the neck pickup. that node stuff become irrelevant as soon as you fret the string. with the exception of my telecaster, none of my other guitars that have fewer frets have the pickup in the "node" position.

Jeez. It is not the node that makes the neck pickup sound - it is just the general placement of the pickup further towards the neck.

I mean, i hope that you agree with me on the fact that a middle SC and a neck SC (of the same construction) on the same guitar do sound different from each other, right?

Well, the difference in tone can be explained by the fact that on a standard Strat the neck SC is placed 6 Cm furter away from the bridge than the middle pickup, thus picking up different vibration patterns of the string. I.e. the distance from the bridge determines what the pickup sounds like.

Those 6 Cm (~2

Archived