How many frets do you think are ideal on a guitar neck?

grumphh

• Members

Jeez. It is not the node that makes the neck pickup sound - it is just the general placement of the pickup further towards the neck.

I mean, i hope that you agree with me on the fact that a middle SC and a neck SC (of the same construction) on the same guitar do sound different from each other, right?

Well, the difference in tone can be explained by the fact that on a standard Strat the neck SC is placed 6 Cm furter away from the bridge than the middle pickup, thus picking up different vibration patterns of the string. I.e. the distance from the bridge determines what the pickup sounds like.

Those 6 Cm (~2

• Members

i don't play strats.

yes, the pickup placement does determine the tone. that's why i said "i just like where it puts the neck pickup". but that has nothing to do with the node and harmonics and all that. it's just pickup placement. some guitars with 20 frets have their pickup up against the fretboard and sound a certain way. but it's not because of the node.

Sorry, i just picked up on the first quoted sentence - where in fact the node is irrelevant, wether you fret the strings or not. :o

• Members

Absolutely positive
:D

The 24 fret ibanez and the Steinberger i have, have the same thing going on - close, but no cigar. And yes, i am taking into account that they indeed are very different guitars and pickups.

But since you apparently argue that pickup placement makes no difference in tone, could you please explain to me why three identically constructed single coils on a strat do in fact sound markedly different?

...or don't they?
:eek:

I'm not at all saying pickup placement makes no difference in tone. Assuming you're not drowned in effects, I think I could hear the difference between a strat bridge and neck pup without ever seeing the guitar. But there's no way in hell I am going to tell you if a neck pickup is directly under the harmonic position or a fraction of an inch from it. Maybe an audiologist or pro musician could.

Much of the answer to your question has to do with the ocillation of the string vibration right next to the bridge vs. several inches away. You can hear the difference acoustically by simply picking the string at different positions

• Members

But there's no way in hell I am going to tell you if a neck pickup is directly under the harmonic position or a fraction of an inch from it. Maybe an audiologist or pro musician could.

I think that in my first reply to you i stated the same - if i can't see the player i would definitely not be able to point it out with certainty - but i can hear the difference on my guitars when i play them. :)

...and just for the record - the difference is actually (as calculated in a post above) a whole inch - or roughly a third of the distance between the middle and neck pickup on a strat. ;)

• Members

I like 25. That way when the shredders are going meedley meedley all the way up to 24, what do I do? I go to the 25th when I need that extra bit. Everyone else is stuck at 24, but
I
go up to the 25th. That's one more idn't it?
:thu:

This should be in Spinal Tap 2.

Archived