Bands you like... but probably are not so popular on this forum.

billybilly

• Members

Bob Marley. He gets a lot of hate for being loved for stoner college kids, but I am neither and I worship his music.

Jethro Tull. Fruity fluty music. My favorite band.

SRV. Boring blues licks, people say. So what.

Iron Maiden. Spandex and Boners my friends joke.

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

The bands I follow these days anticipating new releases are The Sadies, The Fleshtones, and Dave Alvin. They all have superb songwriting, musicianship and sweat the details:

[YOUTUBE]zcfd1kFmsqE[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]-7p3j8tamN4[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]SVV9kbi0b1c[/YOUTUBE]

• Members

I can find the musical good in almost anything.

I approve this message

My musical collection isn't as varied as Dave's is probably but has elements from a lot of different genres in it. There is a lot of other stuff I like a lot but don't buy records since is more of a casual listening case (like Jazz or bluegrass, love it don't have any albums)

• Members

Penguin Cafe Orchestra - definitely not for everyone but I find them quirky and charming.

Captain Beefheart & The Magic Band. I think there are some believers here but most people seem to think it's impossible to like his stuff and that we must just be pretending to like him. Saw him live at his peak and he and the Magic Band were sensational. One of my favourite gigs ever.

Clearlake - Wonderful British band who most here won't have even heard of. In a sensible world it'd be them who were internationally known and Coldplay who'd be obscure and undiscovered (although I confess I did like Coldplay's first album a lot).

Pre-DSOTM Pink Floyd - I know there are many who do love the early stuff but it seems there are many more who think the DSOTM and onward period is miles better. I can understand why but I don't agree.

I'm sure there are plenty of others but I can't bring them to mind right now.

• Members

For me it's Cake. They are one of my all-time favorite bands.
And while I have never heard them ridiculed here I haven't really seen them discussed at all here. Which makes sense, they aren't really a guitar-centric band so why discuss them on a guitar forum.

• Members

Since folks are talking {censored} about the accordion again I have to post something by The Tiger Lillies. They made a guest appearance on The Simpsons a couple weeks back (I guess because they'd done an album in collaboration with Edward Gorey) but just singing the theme at the end.

Anyway I think they're awesome, great live band, super prolific and creative, and I think the accordion is pretty cool

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hI1a4ptNQ_w

• Members

Most of my favorite bands have a very small fanbase and certainly wouldn't be favorites in a guitar heavy forum like this one.

My last.fm says my most listened to artists are Honey is Cool, Tiger Trap, The Concretes, Lykke Li, Regina, Paramore, The Cardigans, Anna Ternheim, be your own PET, Yelle, Liz Phair, Annie, Under Byen, Pixies, The Knife, Rainer Maria, One Dove, My Bloody Valentine, Curve, and Bikini Kill.

Other than famous ones like Paramore, Pixies, My Bloody Valentine, and Liz Phair (and that one song by The Cardigans), I'd be surprised if someone here likes even a handful of them.

Well color you surprised - I have seen Tiger Trap, Bikini Kill and the Cardigans live. Not all at once, though. And I like byoP and Rainer Maria, as well as Liz Phair, Pixies, MBV and Curve. Not huge on Paramore, but that's mostly because Haley bugs me.

• Members

Love me some Battles. John Stanier's one of my favorite all-time drummers, and has been since I first heard Helmet like 20 years ago. Also, Ty Braxton, who's no longer with the band, is from my hometown. I've jammed with him a couple of times. Based on your other likes, you might dig a band from down here called Kung Fu. I'm sure they get up to Boston too.

As far as what the forum likes, I can't really say. I try to keep a pretty open mind about music, and listen to a lot of different stuff. There's a pretty underwhelming amount of posts about music itself here, and honestly posts that talk about music outside of the mainstream (or guitar hero worship) usually fall off pretty quick, unless it incites some sort of {censored}storm like the free jazz girl post.

• Members

It seems like the topic is "band you like but others on this forum may not like OR have never heard of" so here's mine:

Third Day
Switchfoot
Blue Dogs
Sister Hazel
North Mississippi Allstars
Drive by Truckers
Jason Isbell
Toad the Wet Sprocket
Cross Canadian Ragweed
Wilco
NickelCREEK (not NickelBACK)
Wallflowers
Counting Crows
Kings of Leon
Robert Earl Keen
Ryan Adams

• Members

I'm really into stoner/desert/robot/hard rock. It's an acquired taste, and I can totally understand that a lot of people can't get into it. I especially like the bands that are from the Mojave Desert area. I'm also a bit of a Josh Homme fanboy. :cop:

Desert Sessions (not really a band, very cool nonetheless)
Kyuss
Queens of the Stone Age
Masters of Reality
Eleven
Eagles of Death Metal

But I also like:

Foo Fighters
Seasick Steve
Muse (Showbiz/OoS era)
Editors
Ghinzu
Gorillaz