Can you be good at music if you're not cocky?

honeyiscool

• Members

In fact, I'd like to know how you know he's sight reading, when the definition of sight reading involves performing music that hasn't been seen before, something you can't assume from a picture.

And everything you are boasting about is backed up by what? That photo is not altered in any way. It's proof that you spoke out of your ass. Admit it, or don't. You still picked a poor target.

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

He's probably playing jazz, fine, although honestly I don't know what playing a semi-hollow sitting down with a chart in front of him proves. Happy you won part of an argument? By the way, I wasn't trying to argue that he can't play jazz or can't ever play in that genre, I was saying I haven't heard him do it and I don't have reason to think he can do it well. And really, I still haven't so I don't know. And how is he playing it? he playing jazz like someone sitting in at a jazz rehearsal doing a one-off thing or is he playing it and soloing like a real jazz guy? Yeah, if he sat down and learned some Bach, I'm sure he could do it, but that doesn't mean he plays classical either. It takes a while to get a real feel for stuff like that.

Everything I am boasting about can be backed up on my end. I have conducted singing auditions, which basically consists of sight reading one song after another. I can't exactly sight read Liszt but I can sight read your average standard or show tune well enough to provide good accompaniment. I don't think I'm insanely good at jazz or anything but I think I have good proficiency in it, considering I did play it for several years. I do believe that I am a good jazz player. Regardless, I am certainly a very good classical pianist, so whatever, dude.

• Members

Try again. Clapton is one of my favorite musicians of all time. My dad gave me a cassette of Unplugged and 24 Nights and that's all I listened to for about two years. It wasn't very easy to find rock music when you were a 6 year old boy in Korea, you know. So when I say that's all I listened to, it really was all I listened to. Then he gave me some other tapes, too, but I always preferred Clapton. When we got a CD player, I got to listen to every Clapton album pretty much ever, from the 60s up to the 90s. Whenever he was on TV, I watched. I assure you that you won't find a bigger Clapton fan in my age group.

And no, nothing about anything I've heard has ever suggested that he can play jazz. Nothing against him, but he's a blues guy and he loves his pentatonics. He likes doing big bends and
he rarely uses his pinky
. He's got his limitations but he is a wonderful player. Why do you think I'm trying to discredit Clapton here? I'm not. The fact is he rarely plays in a manner that makes me think he would work in a jazz context.

What's your problem with bringing up classical and sight reading? The point is, I can do those things, and I don't think Clapton can. Do you seriously want to discredit everything I can do in favor of everything Clapton can do? Is that your goal?

I came to say:

That's purely a function of the times when he learned - no one used their pinky and there are plenty of guitarists that do not.

To quote Ginger Baker " Jack and I are jazz musicians. So is Eric but he doesn't know it yet. A lot of what he plays is jazz."

Then I decided this thread surely must make you feel better about being cocky by now.

• Members

Sigh. The most annoying thing about trying to discuss anything of substance on a message forum is that people will ignore any real discussion and then try to pick at the one thing that is only mildly related to the topic. And then when you try to explain yourself, people just get bolder and bolder. Fine, Eric can play jazz. I've never heard him do it, but let's agree that he can. Now move on, for {censored}'s sake.

• Members

Honestly I think according to alot of your postings on this thread, you do in fact come of like a dick. BTW Clapton took lessons when he was younger and did learn how to sight read but as he got older and didn't do it has much, he lost the ability to do it. I learned how to sight read when I was in school in music classes until I was in 5th grade. I didn't use it alot so I can't do it as fast.

• Members

Sigh. The most annoying thing about trying to discuss anything of substance on a message forum is that people will ignore any real discussion and then try to pick at the one thing that is only mildly related to the topic. And then when you try to explain yourself, people just get bolder and bolder. Fine, Eric can play jazz. I've never heard him do it, but let's agree that he can. Now move on, for {censored}'s sake.

the problem is you think you know everything... it's blatantly obvious... a little humility would serve you well

• Members

I think for some players, cockiness might be an unfortunate byproduct of being succesful/talented - if someone's got people telling them that they're great all day long that it can go to their head I suppose, but there are still plenty of modest/non-cocky successful musicians out there.

If you're thinking of adopting a cocky attitude to further your career though, I wouldn't bother ... unless you've got the chops to back it up it's much better to let your playing speak for itself.

• Members

stacks_image_67_1.png

And Django couldn't use his pinky, because he was deformed. Yet, he is a master of jazz. Stevie Wonder can't sight read , because he is blind, yet, he is a master composer in the most classical of senses.

Beethoveen was deaf. Passion is much more vital than being cocky. Cockiness seems to go with the territory of being mediocre. The most proficient masters seem too busy being absorbed by their muse to worry too much about things like this.

That is my opening argument, counsel.

• Members

the problem is you think you know everything... it's blatantly obvious... a little humility would serve you well

I don't know everything, and that's why I'm always reading about things I don't know and trying to learn more and doing all that. I learn a lot by being here as well. But consider this medium. I post a lot. I respond a lot. People respond a lot. Most people are nice about it. When I'm wrong or I'm less than knowledgeable on some subject, many people don't exactly respond with a nice, "Oh, actually..." it's usually someone trying to capture a "gotcha" moment or people have to say something personal. It's annoying and I'm prone to respond accordingly. Then, of course, I look like a dick as well, and I should be better at that. But it's annoying.

• Members

And Django couldn't use his pinky, because he was deformed. Yet, he is a master of jazz. Stevie Wonder can't sight read , because he is blind, yet, he is a master composer in the most classical of senses.

Beethoveen was deaf. Passion is much more vital than being cocky. Cockiness seems to go with the territory of being mediocre. The most proficient masters seem too busy being absorbed by their muse to worry too much about things like this.

That is my opening argument, counsel.

When did I say that sight reading made me better than Eric Clapton or Stevie Wonder? Never. I merely said I can do it as an example of something I can do that Clapton can't do, and it was going back to statement: "Eric Clapton's a great guitarist, but there are things I can do that he can't do. Therefore, in certain contexts, I am a better musician. In the larger scheme of things, I am not, and I'm certainly not as accomplished, and I recognize that." Notice, where everybody is focusing on the part where I said there are things I can do that he can't do, everybody's completely missing the part where I acknowledge that he is a better and more accomplished musician than I am in the larger scheme of things. That, however, does not mean that you'd hire him over me for every single possible musical task imaginable because I am positive that I can do certain things he can't do, and I'm freely allowed to believe this. And I certainly think I could play a better Chopin than Stevie Wonder.

And that's why I say it's annoying that people are picking on that one part of one thing that I said, instead of reading it alongside the very next sentence where I realize that in the big scheme of things, he's the better musician.

And what about Beethoven? He didn't start out deaf. It's a terrible thing that happened to him. Ever read about him? He was weird, deranged, and had good reason to be arrogant. Music was different back then and it was extremely competitive. People would have piano duels and he'd win them all. He was certainly not too absorbed by his muses to avoid having dick measuring contests with his contemporaries.

• Members
Yeah, but you were wrong about those things. Don't take it personal.

First of all, I said fine, he can play jazz, let's move on. Second of all, since you're still on it, will you post me a clip of him playing jazz? To quote myself, "I can sight read, and I can play classical and jazz. That's three things Eric Clapton has never demonstrated any proficiency in." A picture doesn't demonstrate proficiency. It demonstrates that he has done it at least once. A clip would definitely help convince me that I was wrong on that one point.

• Members

Wow, such a thread.. im not sure what is considered a good at music entails.. the best players i know are the most modest.. the worse ones are always trying to puff them selfs up.. get attaboys and what ever... but i think to get any where with music you need to be brutal honest with your self about your playing.. and if you are then the whole cocky attitude will fly out the window... you will realize where your playing faults lay.. and you will be humbled at how far you still have to go.. at any level. if you can listen to your own playing with a critical ear... and you still are cocky about where you are.. dont have any thing that needs work.. then you are prob delusional...

there is just so much to learn.. so much to work on.. mho
how can you not be humble about the task?

• Members

if he didn't ... miles wouldn't have been such a little bitch about it.

You think walking up to someone's stage uninvited is OK etiquette?

What would you think if someone, if anybody jumped up on stage and wanted to show you off? Hell, what if I did it? You'd kick me off stage and humiliate me, right? Because I'd be a punk, and I'd have deserved it.

Wynton got what he deserved.

Archived