Can you be good at music if you're not cocky?

honeyiscool

• Members

I don't know. You seem to be awfully proud of your mediocrity
:lol:

Ok. I quit.

I just wish you weren't such a grumpy old prick. We're about the same age. Evidently we both excel at our day jobs. I got the impression that you were active in your church, too. But you are just this dark, brooding cynic and I got a rainbow coming out of my ass. I just can't see why you take this prattle so personally. Don't you trust that God will assure that I will reap the effects of being a blowhard? It's not your job to be an implement of Karma.

So, my character flaw is that I detest self-appointed policemen like you. Oh, and false modesty. And knock-kneed women. And sunburst guitars.

I don't believe in karma, and I don't believe in eternal punishment for blowhards.

I'm not a grumpy person. I call it like I see it. When I see BS, I say so. I am not particularly cynical, although in my job, I've seen a lot of people make promises that their new product or service is going to change the world. A few of them do, most of them are forgotten within months.

And most people I know don't think I have an "old" attitude. I am open-minded about new ideas and new music. My favorite bands are actively making music today, not the bands popular around here who hit their peak in the early '70s.

And I'm not sure where you got any idea that I'm proud of my mediocrity. I'm very good at many things, including my day job, and I'm proud of those accomplishments. I'm not, however, going to claim that I am the best at what I do, because that's unlikely and hard to prove, in any case. I'm not going to claim that I'm in the top 1 percent of everything I've tried.

That would be total bull{censored}. If you're great at everything you've ever tried, then you haven't tried very much. You need to push yourself harder.

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I'm a {censored} guitar player compared to the other musicians I play with at music school.

I excel at guitar playing when I play with untrained musicians.

I sang at Carnegie Hall.

I'm a {censored} vocalist.

Am I ever going to be a famous musician? Likely not.

Have I done some cool {censored}? Yes. And I'm damn cocky about it.

• Members

I don't know. You seem to be awfully proud of your mediocrity
:lol:

Ok. I quit.

I just wish you weren't such a grumpy old prick. We're about the same age. Evidently we both excel at our day jobs. I got the impression that you were active in your church, too. But you are just this dark, brooding cynic and I got a rainbow coming out of my ass. I just can't see why you take this prattle so personally. Don't you trust that God will assure that I will reap the effects of being a blowhard? It's not your job to be an implement of Karma.

So, my character flaw is that I detest self-appointed policemen like you. Oh, and false modesty. And knock-kneed women. And sunburst guitars.

I doubt god approves of you waving your prick in peoples faces... and he probably plays a sienna burst stratocaster with a whammy bar!

• Members

this is probably the wrong place to say this after the flaming honey got, but i for one find him to be one of the most, if not the most, intelligent posters on this forum. I am not surprised at some of the things revealed in this thread (good at math, plays chopin, dropped out of harvard, etc.)

Hmm, I would suggest that this whole thread (and particularly his posts in it) are an example of some of the most unintelligent posting. And there are people on here who have greater accomplishments (or just as great), who don't feel the need to publicise them (although we get to know about them often, in the right way). Why should they, if they are comfortable with themselves? However, it is also bloody irritating when cocky people masturbate their own egos, when you know that you have, yourself, achieved as much if not more in your life.

• Members

I was cocky about my guitar playing until I was around 19. I was noodling around in a friend's basement, and his younger brother came down with a couple of friends. One of them asked me if I knew the solo to Led Zep's 'Rock n' Roll.' I didn't. He said, 'I just learned it. Here, I'll show you.' I got seriously pwned by a 14 year old. He played that, and a bunch of other stuff, note perfect. I just sat there, stunned and stung. Since then, I've learned a bit of humility.

Confidence is one thing. 'Cockiness' is another. I've had a few people find me on Facebook, to tell me how they were so happy and grateful that they could sit and watch me play back then (late teens, early 20's). A couple of them were in awe of me back then, which I find, in retrospect, very humbling, and a bit amusing, considering I was nowhere near the guitarist then that I thought I was. Yeah, I can play with style and panache, and passion, but back then, note perfect renditions of others' music wasn't my strong suite. So, I tell these old friends how kind they are in their compliments, but I really wasn't that good, and bluffed my way through a lot of stuff. This isn't false modesty, it is the truth. To think one knows everything inhibits learning.

• Members

And, on balance, most of the players I knew that I recognized back then as being far superior players than I, were cocky, in the pejorative sense. They treated me with condescension, even though I always showed them respect. I just wanted to be friends with other guitarists with whom I felt I shared a bond with, in terms of being a musician, and in the music and zeitgeist of the time. Yet, they were prima-donna assholes, and in retrospect, I've found that some of them felt threatened by me, and that they really were neurotic, baggage-laden, insecure individuals. Some of them made that cockiness work for them: They are professionals now, though I suspect that they're personalities are still rooted in proving that they're better than others, and are generally the type of person that I shun.

• Members

I'm not, however, going to claim that I am the best at what I do, because that's unlikely and hard to prove, in any case. I'm not going to claim that I'm in the top 1 percent of everything I've tried.

And how does one demonstrate that anyone is in the "top 1%" of guitar players? No objective way of doing that. Therefore, no such thing.

Archived