Just When U thought it was safe to go back in the H2O(Baked Maple/Obeche)now RICHLITE

GAS Man

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Don't care really what a fretboard is made of as long as it looks and feels right (I generally prefer ebony and maple to rosewood). That fretboard looks very nice so it would come down to how it felt for me. The concept of recycled material as a fretboard is pretty cool IMO, but like I said I'd want to try it in person.

The guitar itself looks nice for sure.

+1

I actually own one of these. I have several guitars that have ebony boards and you can't tell the difference between the ebony board and the Richlite board. I was able to play one of these before purchasing and thought it was an ebony board. I looked up the specs online and was surprised that it wasn't ebony. We'll see how long the fretboard lasts but overall this is a great guitar and a great price point. I was able to buy mine new for $1250 and these come with a hardshell case!

• Members

+1

I actually own one of these. I have several guitars that have ebony boards and you can't tell the difference between the ebony board and the Richlite board. I was able to play one of these before purchasing and thought it was an ebony board. I looked up the specs online and was surprised that it wasn't ebony. We'll see how long the fretboard lasts but overall this is a great guitar and a great price point. I was able to buy mine new for $1250 and these come with a hardshell case!

next string change, would you mind posting a pic of the neck joint underneath the rhythm pickup?

• Members

Paper is made of wood, resin is drawn from trees. I think this is fantastic. Plus, unlike baked maple, this actually looks good.

Overall, that guitar looks fantastic and it's a very reasonable price considering Gibson. I love everything about that guitar. I like the shape, size, and overall vibe, and the fact that, it's a little bit different. Even they have the rear wiring access so that it's not a complete bitch changing wiring. Call me stupid but I dislike the VT/VT wiring greatly and even though I'd probably keep the pickups, I'd definitely redo the wiring my way (master volume, bridge tone, neck tone, master bass cut), and that would allow me to easily change things around.

I don't need a guitar right now, but in a couple of years, if one of these pops up used, I could totally see myself buying one, and I don't say that about very many Gibsons. I hope people keep bashing the Bakelite, so that the prices crash.

+1.21 jigawatts - thanks for typing all my thoughts out for me.

• Moderators

+1.21 jigawatts - thanks for typing all my thoughts out for me.

And I'll second, third and fourth that, Gibson for me are showing great bravery, putting it about a bit and experimenting and seeing what the market says, I love that guitar, the price and after holding one today, I think Gibson will shift a lot of these

• Members

I picked up one of the Obeche fretboard Gibson guitars simply because I didn't like them being pushed around by the Govt while their competitors (one of which has a board member who is setting up the President's library) were allowed to continue business as usual.

I really like the guitar. It sounds great, played nice right out of the box and the fretboard looks a lot like the rosewood ones that Gretsch 'ebonizes' with dye.

Just for the heck of it I pulled the frets out and did a refret. There were no issues getting the new frets in or anything and I don't see any problems with the material.

All things being equal I would rather have a rosewood board on this one (and if the refret didn't take I would have just replaced the board) but I actually think that it's cool that Gibson is building guitars with sustainable wood - and I have seen some with low prices that look killer.

I was in GC and they have a LPC looking guitar for about $1800 but it has a different fingerboard wood. Guitar looked great.

For all the talk about wind farms, hybrid cars, etc... it's nice that there is a guitar builder out there offering a more "green" guitar - even if they're not doing it by choice.

• Members

For all the talk about wind farms, hybrid cars, etc... it's nice that there is a guitar builder out there offering a more "green" guitar - even if they're not doing it by choice.

I totally agree, so long as the material is suitable for the intended purpose. And I'm not saying this isn't, as I've never even seen obeche. I wish more manufacturers would experiment with sustainable products.

• Members

Kramer used a composite bowling ball like material on the fretboards of their metal neck guitars in the early going.

It was a viable substance.

They used it to be different....not because their rosewood and ebony was confiscated by the feds.

I'm not at all convinced Gibson can't source whatever wood they want.

• Members

The fingerboard on my steinbergers is made from phenolic resin with cellulose binder (I have no idea how similar that is to richlite). Anyway, the steinberger stuff feels like ebony, and looks brand new after like 25+ years of playing. I'd certainly buy something like that again.

• Members

The fingerboard on my steinbergers is made from phenolic resin with cellulose binder (I have no idea how similar that is to richlite). Anyway, the steinberger stuff feels like ebony, and looks brand new after like 25+ years of playing. I'd certainly buy something like that again.

Sounds pretty close to Richlite. "Cellulose" is a wood fibre product, as is paper. Martin has been using Richlite for a number of years now; I owned a nice 16 series 12 string with a Richlite fingerboard. I loved it, in fact, liked the feel of it more than wood.

Cheers.

Archived