Just When U thought it was safe to go back in the H2O(Baked Maple/Obeche)now RICHLITE

GAS Man

• Members

Charlton-Heston-Robert-Thorn-Soylent-Gre

"It's made from PAPER!" :eek:

a Black Richlite fingerboard. This extremely dense material gives you the look of ebony - along with snappy attack and prodigious sustain typical of that revered tonewood. Richlite is made primarily of (recycled) paper (certified by the Forest Stewardship Council) from managed forests. The paper is treated with resin, then pressed and baked to create solid sheets. The same material has been used for decades in aerospace, the marine industry, and in sports (e.g., skate ramp surfaces), so you know it's durable. Environmental sustainability and great sustain - Black Richlite gives you both.

But I think this guitar is not so bad of a deal. It sounds like its made much like an Epi WildKat

"The most unique aspect of the Gibson Midtown Standard is the innovative body. It is slightly larger than your everyday solid body electric guitar, yet smaller than a typical semi-hollowbody. The body is made from solid mahogany and is strategically chambered for optimal sound and relieved weight. The Gibson Midtown Standard features a solid maple top with f-holes to give it a definitive semi-hollow look and feel."

For an asking price of $1499, it seems like a nice alternative to a 339. Sounds sorta like an LP Florentine.

http://www.sweetwater.com/guitargallery/electric/custom/s128710699/

128710699-front-l.jpg

128710699-detail1-l.jpg

128710699-detail4-l.jpg

http://www.sweetwater.com/guitargallery/electric/custom/s128710699/

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

And let the {censored}storm begin...

Personally, I really don't give a {censored} what my fingerboard is made from, as long as it looks like maple on a fender and looks like rosewood or ebony on anything else.

I basically agree. I don't recall exactly what Parker uses, but I remember it's a synthetic and nobody cried "the end of days" when that happened.

Not using Ebony on this guitar obviously keeps it in this more affordable price point.

• Members

Paper is made of wood, resin is drawn from trees. I think this is fantastic. Plus, unlike baked maple, this actually looks good.

Overall, that guitar looks fantastic and it's a very reasonable price considering Gibson. I love everything about that guitar. I like the shape, size, and overall vibe, and the fact that, it's a little bit different. Even they have the rear wiring access so that it's not a complete bitch changing wiring. Call me stupid but I dislike the VT/VT wiring greatly and even though I'd probably keep the pickups, I'd definitely redo the wiring my way (master volume, bridge tone, neck tone, master bass cut), and that would allow me to easily change things around.

I don't need a guitar right now, but in a couple of years, if one of these pops up used, I could totally see myself buying one, and I don't say that about very many Gibsons. I hope people keep bashing the Bakelite, so that the prices crash.

Archived