Just When U thought it was safe to go back in the H2O(Baked Maple/Obeche)now RICHLITE

GAS Man

• Members

This seems like a false analogy.

It most definitely is. Micarta (which is actually composed of linen and phenolic resin) and other fiber/epoxy composite materials have been used for decades (since 1910 in the case of micarta) for a lot of fairly demanding applications, such as knife handles, electric insulators, etc. They are dimensionally stable, strong and resistant to water and many other solvents. The only reason to dislike it is because it is different or non-traditional for guitar fretboards -- there is no functional or aesthetic rationale for that reaction...

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Them why not wait until you've actually played baked maple of Richlite or whatever before you make proclamations regarding their quality?

I've played tons of Gibson guitars.

I've owned tons of Gibson guitars.

If the funds are available, I'm not interested in Gibson guitars these days.

It could change but I'm leaning more towards Teye; McInturff, PRS, Trussart and Rickenbacker.

• Members

perhaps you'd like to tell us all how many instruments made after 1992 you have made from Brazilian Rosewood?

I think only 1 guitar.

mccartykbc.jpg

mccartykbb.jpg

I played this korina McCarty w/Brazilian fretboard and liked it.

If I like it and can afford it, I'll buy it.

There's lots of Brazilian fretboard guitars being made since 1992.

Not as many as in the past, but they're out there.

And pricey.

I have loads of guitars with rosewood, ebony and birds eye maple fretboards made after 1992.

Indian rosewood isn't as pricey as Brazilian.

• Members

it's been illegal to trade Brazilian Rosewood since 1992, when it was put on the CITES list. good luck with that.

There are stock piles of Brazilian rosewood at manufacturers warehouses for years since 1992.

Gibson has had their rosewood + ebony confiscated.

Not all rosewood is Brazilian.

Guitars made from stock piles of Brazilian are still legal to sell.

They're getting more and more expensive though.

• Members

There are stock piles of Brazilian rosewood at manufacturers warehouses for years since 1992.

Gibson has had their rosewood + ebony confiscated.

Not all rosewood is Brazilian.

Guitars made from stock piles of Brazilian are still legal to sell.

They're getting more and more expensive though.

you're correct, not all rosewood is Brazilian. but if you were true to your Gibson roots, you wouldn't accept anything less. after all, they're lesser versions of the originals. so we're back to the idea that you only buy instruments to make money from them. because if it were about "standards" and "what a Gibson is supposed to be" then you'd have given up on Gibson in the year you started buying them.

• Members

you're correct, not all rosewood is Brazilian. but if you were true to your Gibson roots, you wouldn't accept anything less. after all, they're lesser versions of the originals. so we're back to the idea that you only buy instruments to make money from them. because if it were about "standards" and "what a Gibson is supposed to be" then you'd have given up on Gibson in the year you started buying them.

I like Brazilian rosewood.

I also like Indian rosewood and ebony and maple.

My standards are not Brazilian or nothing. Nor is it buying only value pieces. I buy the quality I can afford.

You confuse smart buying with buying to flip and make a profit. I buy to play not to flip.

My Gibson roots go much much earlier than the Henry Juszkiewicz era.

Don't try to analyze my standards when I tell you flat out that I prefer rosewood, ebony and maple.

• Members

Don't care really what a fretboard is made of as long as it looks and feels right (I generally prefer ebony and maple to rosewood). That fretboard looks very nice so it would come down to how it felt for me. The concept of recycled material as a fretboard is pretty cool IMO, but like I said I'd want to try it in person.

The guitar itself looks nice for sure.

• Members

African mahogany body and neck, indeterminate rosewood, too many late 50s Gibsons have been found to contain no Honduran or Brazilian, so don't get too excited Lou, just enjoy the guitar for what it is

Been authenticated.

It's a '56.

I enjoy.

I don't get too excited anymore.

I'm 59 with high blood pressure.:wave:

• Members

I've played tons of Gibson guitars.

I've owned tons of Gibson guitars.

If the funds are available, I'm not interested in Gibson guitars these days.

It could change but I'm leaning more towards Teye; McInturff, PRS, Trussart and Rickenbacker.

I totally understand this. After 50+ years of playing Gibsons, Fenders, and other american made guitars, I have gotten into finer European built ones and love them. My Handles are carbon fiber, one piece uni-chassis bodies, and a synthetic fretboard material.

Gibson is trying to figure out how to cope with their past mistakes, legally speaking. That's fine. However, there are a lot of great alternatives offered now that were not available when I started playing. Those 60+ year old designs are fine, but I've been there done that way too many times to just keep repeating it over again.

It really depends on how long one has played the same types of guitars and whether or not they are open-minded enough to try alternatives. I understand why players with less time in on guitar are interested in the older designs. Once they accumulate many years, or perhaps before that, they may eventually desire to be daring enough to try something outside the traditional box.

Archived