Just When U thought it was safe to go back in the H2O(Baked Maple/Obeche)now RICHLITE

GAS Man

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Paper is made of wood, resin is drawn from trees. I think this is fantastic. Plus, unlike baked maple,
this actually looks good.

Overall, that guitar looks fantastic and it's a very reasonable price considering Gibson. I love everything about that guitar. I like the shape, size, and overall vibe, and the fact that, it's a little bit different. Even they have the rear wiring access so that it's not a complete bitch changing wiring.
Call me stupid but I dislike the VT/VT wiring greatly and even though I'd probably keep the pickups, I'd definitely redo the wiring my way (master volume, bridge tone, neck tone, master bass cut), and that would allow me to easily change things around.

I don't need a guitar right now, but in a couple of years, if one of these pops up used, I could totally see myself buying one, and I don't say that about very many Gibsons. I hope people keep bashing the Bakelite, so that the prices crash.

Agree 100%

• Members

That's not Bakelite, it's Micarta (or a non-TM clone) and it's an awesome fretboard material. Totally stable, temperature resistant and super slick under your fingers. Never dries out, never splits. If you were designing a guitar today and didn't give a hoot about tradition, you'd make the fretboard Micarta/Garolite or something similar, just like Parker did.

A step up from ebony, IMHO---

• Members

of course not. but that has nothing to do with whether the materials are viable. they obviously are and people who can't admit that will simply be left behind.

My preference is rosewood.

To me, Gibson with a laminate rosewood fret board or obeche; richlite; baked maple is not what I want in a Gibson guitar.

It's preference.

I choose to use a Parker guitar. It's not a traditional guitar. Same with Trussart. I'm open minded to alternates. But I have my preferences.

Gibson is using alternate woods because their inventory was confiscated.....

• Members

Paper fretboards... it is to laugh.

Will be interesting to see what happens when the compressed paper fretboards get wet.

(See compressed paper getting wet: 63FPeQ_GrVM

Gibson is in the business of building recyclable guitars now, is that the takeaway? Henry J. must have been busy counting his piles of money when the marketing department came up with this humdinger of an idea.

• Members

To me, Gibson with a laminate rosewood fret board or obeche; richlite; baked maple is not what I want in a Gibson guitar.

It's preference.

I choose to use a Parker guitar. It's not a traditional guitar. Same with Trussart. I'm open minded to alternates. But I have my preferences.

Not to offend you or start any argument but how much possibly illegally obtained rosewood in the form of fretboards from gibson do you own currently before they were caught?

• Members

It's preference.

you choose to own a Parker and a Trussart because you think they'll go up in value. you're not worried about how these alternative woods play. you're worried about how they'll affect your investment portfolio. and there's nothing wrong with that. but it has nothing to do with the sonic properties of these new materials, which is my argument. so we're really having two separate arguments revolving around the same subject.

• Members

Not to offend you or start any argument but how much possibly illegally obtained rosewood in the form of fretboards from gibson do you own currently before they were caught?

My last new Gibson guitar was a 2004 Historic LP Custom.

Did Gibson get the ebony for this illegally?

I don't know.

Since 2004, I haven't purchased any Gibson guitar new or old.

I've actually sold off a few.

It's not a Henry/Gibson protest either.

• Members

you choose to own a Parker and a Trussart because you think they'll go up in value. you're not worried about how these alternative woods play. you're worried about how they'll affect your investment portfolio. and there's nothing wrong with that. but it has nothing to do with the sonic properties of these new materials, which is my argument. so we're really having two separate arguments revolving around the same subject.

I have the Parker and Trussarts because I like them.

They play great.

To me, there's no argument or portfolio.

It's a preference.

Archived