Just When U thought it was safe to go back in the H2O(Baked Maple/Obeche)now RICHLITE

GAS Man

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Just came back to see how my thread did. Although it did seem to be fairly popular for views and posts regarding the usual controversial topic of "new fretboard materials", I don't see much comment here about the guitar itself.

I'm pretty much broke from buying my last 150 or so guitars, so I need to pass until around the year 2025, :lol: but I actually think this is a pretty neat looking guitar. The fact that it's chambered out of solid mahogany caught my attention since that's a bit of a new offering (although maybe similar to a WildKat), and I thought the asking MSRP of under 15 Benjamins was attractive. Although I had some fun making the Soylent Green metaphorical jest, I really don't see much difference between this Richlite fretboard and Parker's fiber/glass/epoxy composite; and a lot of consumers would probably prefer keeping the coin that a blank of ebony would have added to the price.

Sweetwater doesn't have any in now, but this guitar is also available in Heritage Cherry Sunburst and Vintage Sunburst. Although, I think the Ebony color is a good fit for its other appointments

DSDCCTHSCH-xlarge.jpg
DSDCCTVSCH-xlarge.jpg

• Members

It's a nice looking guitar. I have not seen one but I have seen the wood that passes for "mahogany" or other woods on lower cost models from other companies.

Given that these are so cheap and made by Gibson they're a great alternative. If I were in the market for a guitar at that price point I would check one out for sure.

• Members

the moral of this whole Gibson business is if you're gonna do something illegal, don't get caught
:)

But the whole point is they weren't "caught" doing anything. After two raids in as many years no charges have been brought, nor has any contraband wood even been identified. All that's left is a cloud of suspicion and doubt hanging over Gibson's head. And there's nothing they can do about it.

Check out the smug government representative and her gleeful grin as she discusses the raids:

Archived