Strat vs Tele

PigWings_v2.0

• Members

I just realized that I've really never been able to sit down and play around with a tele.

Yet I LOVE my strat(OK, G&L, but you get the idea).

It seems silly to ask... But what are the differences? Teles are hardtails and Strats have a tremelo. But what else?

Can anyone post some good clips comparing the sound?

• Members

Get the tele if you like 1950 Chevy pickups or get a strat if you like 55 Chevy cars.

Both can do a lot... maybe folks play both... there's not really mcuh ground one can cover that the other can't put a pretty good dent into, it's just that some folks are inspired in different ways by different guitars and some folks seem to make any guitar in their hands work for them.

:idk:

• Members
Get the tele if you like 1950 Chevy pickups or get a strat if you like 55 Chevy cars.

Both can do a lot... maybe folks play both... there's not really mcuh ground one can cover that the other can't put a pretty good dent into, it's just that some folks are inspired in different ways by different guitars and some folks seem to make any guitar in their hands work for them.

:idk:

get out of my mind!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Members

I'd say in ergonomic terms, the strat is absolutely superior. Put it like this: there are many companies that offer teles with strat contours as fairly standard options. I can't think of many companies that offer strats without the forearm unless it's a flamed or other fancy top. And I don't think I've ever played any that that didn't have the belly cut.

Some will undoubtedly prefer the feel of the tele for some sort of ergonomic reason, but I think it's more of an appreciation for the more basic, more raw design.

• Members

I definitely think that the sounds overlap quite a bit with Strats and Teles. Sure, Strats get the quack and Teles twang, but there is not a whole ton of variation in sound between the two through a cranked amp (imo). The major differences to me are ergonomic. I love all my Strats and my Tele but I think I could acheive 90% of the tones with either one. That being said, I don't play really twangy country stuff so perhaps YMMV.

• Members

Tele has more balls all the way around. Strats got the front pickup, front middle sound, but the bridge pup not so good, really brittle, gotta really work to get a tele like bridge sound out of a strat, and that will take you only so far. Maybe could get closer with a hardtail strat, or a different wiring scheme, I dunno never had one.

Ergonomically, Strats are much more comfortable. I have a Wylde Strat pickup in the front of my Pinecaster, and it pretty much nails the front pickup strat sound.

Overall, I prefer the more varied tones of a Tele soundwise, esp on the bridge pickup.

Plus I think they look cooler, Strats being so ubiquitous.

But I can't do Hank Marvin on my Tele, and that trem with the springs adds something a Tele dosn't give you.

I think everybody needs one of each, depending on the situation.

• Members

They're both good guitars and I don't think one is any better then the other. I think the embarrassing guitars that pass for Strats and Teles these days suck but if you actually buy a good one it's a great sounding and playing guitar.

Preference plays into which one will work better for you and they sound similar but they also sound different as a regular Tele won't give you the in between out of phase sounds and the Tele bridge pickup is a little brighter due to it being mounted on a plate plus the neck pickup's cover influences the sound a bit, as does the wiring. Of course on HCEG I have seen people with EMGs and Floyds on a T shaped Chinese balsa wood body saying 'nothing plays like a Tele' so YMMV.

• Members

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5lTt_O5q9Q8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wyFI21QFe4Q&feature=player_embedded

I'd say in ergonomic terms, the strat is absolutely superior. Put it like this: there are many companies that offer teles with strat contours as fairly standard options. I can't think of many companies that offer strats without the forearm unless it's a flamed or other fancy top. And I don't think I've ever played any that that didn't have the belly cut.

Some will undoubtedly prefer the feel of the tele for some sort of ergonomic reason, but I think it's more of an appreciation for the more basic, more raw design.

• Members

Both are good guitars, it just boils down to what sound you want. I just hate all the Tele fanboy BS about it being harder to play, more tonal variation, etc. I have never had a problem playing a Tele or a Strat. I own both, both have their place.

Having said that, I prefer a Strat. Just more comfortable.

• Members

most important differences are the bridges and pickups. the pickup configuation of a traditional telecaster is two pickups instead of three, which gives you a nice "bridge + neck" configuration that strats only get with special wiring.

The traditional telecaster bridge pickup is clangier, twangier, and more percussive sounding. The traditional telecaster bridge pickup is arguably the most distinctive sounding pickup of any. It's not always easy to listen to a song and tell what kind of guitar is being played, but it's fairly common to hear a tone and immediately recognize it as being most likely some form of telecaster pickup.

While I personally like strat bridge pickup tones just fine, many people find the telecaster bridge pickup tones to be more useable than the strat, which may explain why there's an HSS strat option in all the fender standard lines.

Additionally, the tele neck pickup is considerably darker/warmer sounding than the strat neck pickup.

beyond that, it's about the feel of the body shape and what just seems cooler to you.

I probably couldn't tell the difference between a Strat and Tele in the neck pickup position.

I can, at least when using late model fender standards as the basis of comparison. The strat neck is quite a bit brighter.

Archived