Strat vs Tele

PigWings_v2.0

• Members

To me, the feel of them when playing is very different. I played almost exclusively acoustic guitars for about 15 years and I had a Les Paul, a MIJ Strat, and an Electra 335 copy. The only one that felt good to me was the 335. I broke down and tried a tele, having never wanted one before, and was hooked immediately. A tele feels like an acoustic to me (does not sound like one) just the flat top and straight neck of it. A strat is...what?...springy. The strat feels great, is comfortable and can be played with a light touch...for that reason I can't get into them as I am a more dynamic player who beats the crap out of my strings. For a more technical player with a soft, precise touch, I think the Strat would be the way to go. You just have to try them out. I'm into teles and big semis, as for the les pauls and strats...I always want one until I get one, then they're always the first to go. I've had to face the fact that I just don't like strats or pauls. I have never tried a hardtail strat, though...could be just the thing....although I did lock down the tremolo on my strat and still didn't care for it much. Who knows? I'm as goofy as the rest of the guitar loving freaks.

• Members

Could not live with either and was a Tele player for years before getting my first Strat. Though I never get the purist who complain about pup swaps in Tele's not making them Tele's anymore.So what is Beck playing in that clip? I stuck a set of DiMarzio Fast Tracks in my Tele back in 92 the first year they were out and that guitar is still a beast and still a Tele.Love a Strat as much as a Tele but I don't get why it is the norm to swap pups in one be they Lace Sensors, Stacked Humbuckers or whatever and it is still a Strat. For me they are both a Strat and a Tele and whatever mods anyone wants to perform to achieve a desired tone is the nature of the game. A Strat is more versatile and and a Tele is the epitome of simplicity. But it is no one trick pony as all one has to do is listen to Page on Zep-I, Danny Gatton- Harlem Nocturne, Beck- Cause We've Ended As Lovers, Gary Moore- Too Tired, Albert Lee- Country Boy, Albert Collins-Frosty to shred by Richie Kotzen and John-5 and I can go on for quite a while. For a simple plank it has a ton of tones.

• Members

Ergonomically, I much prefer the Strat, so much so I have two, one SSS and one SSH. I do notice though that on that rare occasion that I use the Tele with my houseband quartet that I do seem to cut through the mix a little better esp. if the other guitar player is using his Strat. As far as sound differences, my Tele seems to fill a more trebly spectrum and have to admit it seems to have more high-end sparkle even in the neck position. I get more percussion on those 5 6 power chord boogie lines out of my Strat (particularly the one with SSS and maple board). Also, I think the springs give it more of a rock n roll sound with a little gain.

• Members

One reason I love my Jerry Donahue Tele is that, with a Strat PU at the neck and the clever 5-way switching, I can get all my favourites from the Fender tone library (Tele bridge and middle; Strat neck and quack) from one great-feeling guitar. If only it had a whammy -- which i don't want to fit in case it screws with the toanz -- I'd probably never play anything else.

As it is, my main standard-tuned stage guitars remain a pair of (excellent) Strats. S'pose I'll just have to live with that ...

Archived