Has Your Significant Other Gone Guitar Shopping With You?

Bbreaker

• Members

Oddly enough, yeah... the misses has tagged along a few times. As it turns out, we have very similar tastes when it comes to the looks of a guitar. The only problem is that her tastes run a little higher up the chain than what I can usually afford. :lol:

We were in GC one night and she instantly spotted a Gibson LP way up high and said "Oohh, that one is pretty, I really like that one." Squinting my eyes, I noticed the $2500 price tag and said "Hehe... yeah, that's really sharp, but it's 2500 bucks".

I even pointed out an Epiphone that pretty much looked just like it, but nope.. she preferred the Gibson. Bless her heart.

On the other hand, stuff like differences in tone, and other qualities kinda fly by her when it comes to guitars.

• Members

Yes. Usually to check out something I'm interested in. A few times, we've been running errands and I've needed to pick up cords, picks, etc. and we'll stop at the local music store. I've noticed a guitar or, like in JonP's case, she'll see something and comment on how pretty it looks. She doesn't get too involved in the purchases, other than letting me know she doesn't care for black guitars and she thinks red guitars look nice!

• Members

Yep, all the time. She likes it. Although she keeps saying that i try to trick her into going to a guitar store even when i don't need to. I just like the fact that i can tell her "hey let's check out that store right there i wonder what it could be" and then BAM we're at guitar center...

• Members

You bet. She knows that I will come back with a Tele every time if she doesn't tag along and keep me under control. Sometimes I think she's knows what I want more than I do. She twisted my arm on both of these and I'm sure glad she did. Gotta love her.

FMT013.jpg

LP026.jpg

• Members

All the time. She once went to 6 stores over two days because I was looking for a good fuzz pedal, and was more than happy to offer her opinions on what sounded good to her ears. Since she plays bass, she shares some of my GAS but she has no interest in adding to her collection right now.

She occasionally teases me about my collection but readily admits that I'm "not that bad" about buying stuff.

• Members

My wife and I do everything together. We've been together since the Reagan administration and we hope to still be together when Chelsea Clinton becomes president.

And, yes, she goes guitar shopping with me all the time. She sneaks into the acoustic room and plays Taylor guitars which are not allowed in our house for obvious reasons.

taylor-swift-performs-with-goo-goo-dolls

ee9e63ee33073227c807ba9d5a60_grande.jpg

• Members

Yep, mine goes with me all the time. We were in Northampton, Mass. a few years back, wandered into the local music store where I eyed a Nashville Tele. Wasn't really in the market for one but after playing it my wife said," Why don't you get it?" So I did. One of my faves. She's also bought me a Hendrix VooDoo Strat from MF for my birthday. It's only since my collection has taken up too much space that I've heard "Do you REALLY need that?"

• Members
Yes. Usually to check out something I'm interested in. A few times, we've been running errands and I've needed to pick up cords, picks, etc. and we'll stop at the local music store. I've noticed a guitar or, like in JonP's case, she'll see something and comment on how pretty it looks. She doesn't get too involved in the purchases, other than letting me know she doesn't care for black guitars and she thinks red guitars look nice!

This. My wife will sometimes tag along, but doesn't understand much about guitars beyond the aesthetics. However, I give her final say re: the color of any that I'm buying.

We happened into a Best Buy with a music instrument section a month or so ago and she would point to any guitar that she thought looked 'nice'. Of course, the first thing she landed on was 'That one with the red stripes'...

:facepalm:
ae00-20038.jpg

• Members

Yeah she has. She keeps saying she wants to learn but sits in the living room staring at my dozen or so guitars every day and never picks one up so until she shows real interest I would not consider giving her a guitar.

But yeah she goes to the shops with me, arms crossed and tapping her foot the whole time! :)

• Members

My wife is the best. She really wishes I had nothing to do with guitars, but because I make a little money at it she supports me. Two summers ago I had open heart surgery (8 bypasses), and not only did she get me a $200 GC gift card, she drove me there STRAIGHT from the hospital! She didn't want to, but she loved me enough to do it. :)

• Members

My wife always goes with me when I guitar shop and I even show her videos of pedals and amps online. She's pretty into it and can tell good tone from bad. When it comes to decision time, she helps choosing colors and usually wants to make sure that my gear doesn't clash. I use Orange amps, so I guess that's something you have to worry about. :)

• Members

Usually only when we're on vacation. I make it a point to visit music stores wherever we go, so she'll usually get roped into it. I think it used to be more fun for her when it was new. Now, not so much. I can't really blame her.

• Members

Only once. Never again.

She's an alternative-style bass player and naturally she's drawn toward BC Rich and ugly looking guitars like that. Being raised by a man that treats Fender as a religion, I much prefer classic looking/sounding guitars and basses like Strats and Teles, as well as proper 80s shredder guitars like Kramers and Jackson RRs. So naturally, there's a little bit of friction when I say a BC Rich Warlock Platinum Series is a big ol' pile of {censored}ty firewood next to a Fender Jazz, just like the BC Rich Warlock guitar is a big ol' pile of {censored} next to a Strat or Les Paul. And yes, I'm including Squier in this.

Archived